Thread: Road trip to Colorado

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster, '01 A8

Road trip to Colorado

I'm off tomorrow in the Roadster to Colorado, Utah and other points west. I was thinking about taking the motorcycle on a long western ride but the M is more fun and has a/c and a roof. I did a ride to Key West in February and was very comfortable and got very good mileage.

Would using regular fuel for long medium speed runs do any damage? Just curious.

My Cars
    S50 //M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Flemming Rose View Post
    I'm off tomorrow in the Roadster to Colorado, Utah and other points west. I was thinking about taking the motorcycle on a long western ride but the M is more fun and has a/c and a roof. I did a ride to Key West in February and was very comfortable and got very good mileage.

Would using regular fuel for long medium speed runs do any damage? Just curious.

I wouldn't run anything but premium I know from experience also buy octane booster most gas stations dont have 93

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    Sounds like an awesome trip. Let me know if you come through Fort Collins. I can show you some fun roads.

2002 Steel Gray over Imola Red M Coupe

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster, '01 A8
    Looking forward to many "fun" roads. I'll have too many straight highway roads until I'm out there but I always enjoy long drives. If my plans take me near Fort Collins, I'll send you a note.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin03 View Post
    Sounds like an awesome trip. Let me know if you come through Fort Collins. I can show you some fun roads.
    and I'll help Jon if needed. worst case we can plots some more entertaining routes through the mountains if you want.

another tip, do Kansas/Nebraska at night if you can, it's cooler and you'll see all that you need to see when it's dark.

and lastly your S52 will run just fine on 91 you'll find in Colorado.

fj..

photo by Gary Glades

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster, '01 A8
    It ran fine on 87. I can't find 93 outhere, but I'll stick with the best I can find.
    I found some gravel roads, not on purpose though. It's never been so dirty. The guy I bought it from would have a cow if he saw it now.
    I'm getting an annoying rattle in the right rear over bumps that comes and goes. It's not stuff in the trunk. I may have to have the shock checked.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster, '01 A8
    I have been to Grand Canyon and Zion. I found some wonderfully routes thru Utah. Check out Rt 12 and 24. Unbelievable beauty and lots of twisties. The car is running great and doing real good on western gas and high altitudes. I am averaging 28 or so with 2 tanks at 30mpg.
    I'm in Denver now heading for home tomorrow. I bought the car a year ago and will have done15k. Lots of fun miles

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flemming Rose View Post
    I have been to Grand Canyon and Zion. I found some wonderfully routes thru Utah. Check out Rt 12 and 24. Unbelievable beauty and lots of twisties. The car is running great and doing real good on western gas and high altitudes. I am averaging 28 or so with 2 tanks at 30mpg.
    I'm in Denver now heading for home tomorrow. I bought the car a year ago and will have done15k. Lots of fun miles
    Way to enjoy your Z!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster, '01 A8
    I'm home safe after doing 6k miles in 2 weeks. The only problem is a rattle in the right rear only with the top up. Those expansion joints started to make me crazy. I'm thinking a loose linkage in the mechanism. I'll check it tomorrow.
    I also noticed the oil temp go pretty high during high speed runs through nowhere Kansas with the top up and a/c on. The oil temp needle got to 1 o'clock and maybe a little higher. The water temp never budged. The fuel mileage dropped about 4 -6 mpg as well.
    Other than that, it was great. There's nothing like top down driving to really enjoy canyons and mountains.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    I'm late but, running it on lower octane would just lower your MPG and lower your power. It shouldn't do damage but it would actually cost you money.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    I'm late but, running it on lower octane would just lower your MPG and lower your power. It shouldn't do damage but it would actually cost you money.