Thread: Engine is Shaking. Need help diagnosing the issue!

My Cars
    E36 M3

Engine is Shaking. Need help diagnosing the issue!

A few days ago my engine starts rumbling as im pulling into my house... i park the car, turn it off and check the oil. it was pretty low, i ended up adding two quarts. Thought the engine shaking was possibly due to that, but its not. i even changed my oil two days ago, after the shaking started.

The thing is, it only happens when i first start the car, for about one or two second, then it goes away until the car has completely warmed up. when it comes back, it only happens when the car is stopped and idling, as soon as my foot touches the throttle, the shaking stops.

The car does not have a check engine light on, i even plugged in an obd2 scanner just to make sure, and nothing. when the shaking starts, it feels like the car wants to stall, but it idles perfectly! also, no effect on throttle response, acceleration, or any performance aspect of the vehicle.... its just the engine trembling, and i have no idea why. and for the record, the car is not burning oil, I've checked several times to be sure!

anyone know what might be causing this?
    Last edited by saMCoupe; 07-14-2011 at 03:42 AM.

My Cars
    '96 M3
    Have you cleaned your ICV?

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA
    Quote Originally Posted by mipktb View Post
    Have you cleaned your ICV?
    That was my first thought too.

My Cars
    E30/325i, E39/M5, E36/M3
    idling good, but shaking?
    hmmm...
    motor mounts?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    No i havent had a chance to clean the icv, a buddy of mine suggested that too. ill probably get that checked out as soon as i get the chance. but if it were the ICV shouldnt it affect the idle of the car and the RPMs

dont think it would be the mounts though, if it were the mounts the motor should shake more when im driving and more in general.

My Cars
    03 m3, 20 VW Tig R Black
    weird, at start up it would be affiliated with your SAP which is very common and no big deal(many people delete that), but that it happens after warmed up at idle is strange? Clean the ICV and see what happens. i don't think motor mounts would have anything to do with your problem.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    check for a missing fan blade on your aux fan
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8