Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB INPA K+DCAN Interface - IFH-0003 Error

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci

USB INPA K+DCAN Interface - IFH-0003 Error

Hello all,

I am having a hard time getting my interface to communicate with INPA.

Here is the setup for my USB Com port.

Am I missing something here?

I understand there are some issues with the 7 & 8 pins but I shouldnt get this big of an error this quickly, right?

Please assist.

Thanks

Ideas anyone? Im going mad trying to figure this out.
    Last edited by falcon1209; 07-13-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    x3 2L 177hp diesel
    DOES this shows up whit cable connected or not connected? THis is an error due to data transmission to interface.
    I could show my german car but I prefer to show an italian product ...my wife's boobs

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Did you enter the correct IP adress and port number in "ediabas.ini" and OBD.ini USB com:1 ? Check both files.

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    Have you run the K+D CAN utility while connected to the car? You need to run this to set the cable up as a K CAN or D CAN cable depending. Note that you can only run the utility within a few moments of connecting it to the car (if your interface has a clear cover you should be able to see a red LED during this time).
    1996 320iC: leather, full elec hood, hard top, auto-dim, sport, revised front grilles, rear head rests (in storage now)
    2006 630i SMG Sport: Sapphire black met, creambeige leather, SMG gearbox, 19' Style 218 alloys, heated sport seats, Sport trim, Dension iPod interface, factory Bluetooth, Xenons, Sat Nav/CCC retrofit, LM2 retrofit, Digital TV retrofit, reverse camera, Homelink/Compass mirror retrofit, etc.
    2007 M6: Sapphire Black Met, Indianapolis red leather, TV, adaptive headlights, HomeLink, HUD, Dension iPod interface, Tracker, Logic7 Top HiFi, much more ....V10
    2004 Mini Cooper S: 15% pulley, remap, r56 brake conversion, modified intake, and more!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Wow! Alot of helpful responses!

Ok, here goes:

Vince: Yes it is the same whether I have it connected/not connected in either the 20 pin or OBD2. Without the USB plugged in I think I got a 0001 error instead. I dont think its a bad cable just yet...

Beemer: No I did not know about any IP address. I thought that was for VMWare installations using TCPIP Protocols to communicate over the com port. Do I still need to configure? Yes, the Com ports are configured in OBD.ini as they are in Device Manager. COM1 to be specific. I will triple check. I have done some reinstalling now that I think about it, but the default should be 1.

Rebel: There is a utility for that? Yeah it has a clear cover, but I have never noticed a light on at ANY point, it does have one though, or at least I can assume the clear LED like bulge is an activity LED. The seller has contacted me back as I inquired to a faulty cable and he gave me a bunch of utilites, (EA-80X and EA-90X INPA) included! I dont think I am going to install newer INPA unless its a last resort.

Thank you for all your help. I will respond back later this evening when I can get a chance to diagnose.

Thank you so much, you guys are lifesavers!
    Last edited by falcon1209; 07-14-2011 at 01:17 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Go to C:/Ediabas/Bin/ and edit the file ediabas.ini.
    Scroll down till you see "TCP/IP Configuration"

RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1
    Port = 6801
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Alright, I never did that because I thought it was for VM only. Ill give that a shot.

Anyone else have things to add before I begin troubleshooting tonight?

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    Read this guide just to be doubly sure you have followed al the steps. I think you have but I included a link for future visitors to this thread:

http://www.osefactory.com/tools/k+dc...ion_Manual.pdf
    And this one is also useful:

http://www.osefactory.com/tools/k+dc...patibility.pdf

The most important bit:

Download the dcan tools.rar file from here:

http://osefactory.com/tools/k+dcan/

This is the K+DCan utility that allows you to toggle between K line & DCAN. Failure to run this correctly will mean that you will not be able to use your cable. Note: you should only have to set this up once for your car & it will remember the setting.
    Here is a screen shot of the utility:

There is also a DOS version of the tool above that works equally well.

Just to note that you need to set the port to 6801 in Ediabas.ini, the IP address also needs to be set to 192.168.68.1
    Last edited by rebel.ranter; 07-14-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    1996 320iC: leather, full elec hood, hard top, auto-dim, sport, revised front grilles, rear head rests (in storage now)
    2006 630i SMG Sport: Sapphire black met, creambeige leather, SMG gearbox, 19' Style 218 alloys, heated sport seats, Sport trim, Dension iPod interface, factory Bluetooth, Xenons, Sat Nav/CCC retrofit, LM2 retrofit, Digital TV retrofit, reverse camera, Homelink/Compass mirror retrofit, etc.
    2007 M6: Sapphire Black Met, Indianapolis red leather, TV, adaptive headlights, HomeLink, HUD, Dension iPod interface, Tracker, Logic7 Top HiFi, much more ....V10
    2004 Mini Cooper S: 15% pulley, remap, r56 brake conversion, modified intake, and more!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Wow. Yeah this is amazing. I havent done the k+dcan setup yet nor have i done the ip setup, both should be more than enough to fix it im sure. Ill report back.

Thanks a million.

Should it matter if my INPA/EDIABAS is set up correctly when I run that DCAN utility? If not, Im pretty sure I have a shoddy cable.

Whether it be OBDII or ADS, I get no light activity on the cable head.

The windows DCAN utility returns Error: Timeout echo...
    The dos DCAN utility returns: Error: Cable not connected.

So yeah. I even reinstalled the sellers drivers for the product... which were the same ones.

Any other thoughts? I cant seem to find my OBD.ini file anywhere, which is odd.

If anyone has experience programming FT232RL chips with MProg along with the circuitry involved, please let me know. Perhaps there is a chance I can correct the problem. I have tried just about everything. I don't want to wait another 3 weeks for another slow boat from china to get here.

Also, my INPA installation may not be 100% perfect yet, but I should still be getting some positive feedback from this DCAN tool, correct?
    Last edited by falcon1209; 07-14-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    x3 2L 177hp diesel
    as you can imagine it is difficult to solve the issue being far away. BTW I am currently using different Interfaces VAG KKL USB and SERIAL (with USB>SERIAL adapter) port and ELM327 (not on BMW) and I am waiting to get the K+DCAN one. All softwares work good. For what concerns INPA I found the installation pretty easy and simple. You need to be positively sure EDIABAS.INI is set to the proper values the file MUST be in EDIABAS/BIN folder. If you are not confident in editing the .ini file just download a ready to use one (it is usually available in all the ediabas packages).
    Last edited by vince59; 07-15-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    I could show my german car but I prefer to show an italian product ...my wife's boobs

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    I just need to be sure that the cable I have is the problem, not my software. Anyone able to confirm if INPA/EDIABAS installations have any effect on that DCAN utility mentioned above?

I also cannot upgrade 6.4.3 to 6.4.7. It says i need to be connected to GIS to upgrade. Also, I have no OBD.ini in my EDIABAS/bin folder... something isnt right. I even deleted all folders and reinstalled. Same problems.
    Last edited by falcon1209; 07-15-2011 at 09:41 AM.

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    When you plug in your lead (USB connection I presume?) go in to the Device Manager & see what port the USB connection shows up on. Are you sure it's Com1?
    My lead comes up as Com 5, I have read elsewhere that these cables only like specific ports & won;'t work with INPA unless they are set to the right Port. If it is Com5 then you need to change your FDTI drivers to this port & also to change your OBD.ini file.

To get into Device Manager
    ;
    Right click on "My Computer" -> Select "Properties" -> System settings (or advanced system settings) -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Scroll down to the Ports section (Com & LPT1) & see which port your cable is showing up as.
    as mentioned try set everything up as Com 1 or Com5 or Com 3 or whatever & see if that makes a difference.

You don't need to go updating Ediabas just for this cable.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Yeah i made sure everything was synched in DevManager but i had nothing to change it to in obd.ini... it doesnnt exist. The dll is there and another file but no ini file. Help?

Also, I have yet to see any activity from the LED on the cable, if that helps.

Considering ordering a VAG-COM cable from a Ebay vendor about 70 miles away from my home. It would get here quick and I would have a spare if the problem isnt the cable after all...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by falcon1209; 07-15-2011 at 05:51 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Ordered a VAG-COM cable and will modify it to work. Returning the other cable. This should be a much more simple interface that will work better for my car anyways.

Is there any way to test a VAG-COM cable before I crack it open and start soldering?
    Last edited by falcon1209; 07-18-2011 at 01:53 PM.

My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    Yoy can check such cable if it is "visible" in the system.Just download VCDS Lite for Ross-Tech page.After downloading go to options and set up correct COM port in the program-the same as it is in Device Manager.After that click on Test.If everything is correct with cable you will get message about "Interface found OK" but final confirmation must be performed in the real car Take under consideration if this is real VAG-COM cable 7 and 8 pin is not bridged ( this is no problem if your car doesn't need 8 pin)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Quote Originally Posted by PitrekT View Post
    Yoy can check such cable if it is "visible" in the system.Just download VCDS Lite for Ross-Tech page.After downloading go to options and set up correct COM port in the program-the same as it is in Device Manager.After that click on Test.If everything is correct with cable you will get message about "Interface found OK" but final confirmation must be performed in the real car Take under consideration if this is real VAG-COM cable 7 and 8 pin is not bridged ( this is no problem if your car doesn't need 8 pin)

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I plan on doing the above before bridging the pins. It is a VAG-COM KKL 409.1 Cable so Im pretty sure its not bridged yet.

My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    Here is useful information how is is situation with 7 and 8 pins in different BMW models.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328ci
    Have there ever been obd2<->20 pin adapters that have come pre bridged between 7/8? Just curious.

My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    I think so.All adapters which I have seen have following configuration:

OBDI Female----------BMW (20Pins)
    4,5-------------19(Ground)
    7----------------17,20(K Line)
    15---------------15(L Line)
    16---------------14(Power)
    1---------------16(Ignition)

So bridge is made inside of 20-pins plug.
    7----------------17,20(K Line)
    15---------------15(L Line)
    16---------------14(Power)

My Cars
    2006 BMW M5
    I am digging up this thread in the hopes that someone can help me out! I have been reading and searching and reading, hoping someone has the same trouble as me, but I need some help!! Just so everyone knows I have been reading everything I can, let me show you my setup before I dive into the problem.

Summary of my setup
    Car: 2006 M5.
    Cable: D+KCAN USB
    Utilities: INPA 5.0.2, Ediabas 7.2.0.504, NCS EXpert 3.1.0
    Files: v41 daten files that have been confirmed to work for other users. Checked and double checked that all files are in the proper location (CFGDAT --> NCSEXPERT\CFGDAT, DATA--> Imported within WINKFP, DATEN ran the laden.bat file, verified all in proper place, SGDAT-->NCSEXPERT\SGDAT
    Setup a profile properly in NCS Expert.
    Ran the DCAN.exe utility, with the car set as "KCAN" interface, it ran properly.
    Dev manager: USB Serial as com1. "Communications port" is COM1 also, don't know if that's an issue
    OBD.ini has "COM1", and placed the file in C:\ and C:\Windows
    Ediabas.ini has IP: 192.168.68.1 and port 6801. There are two places to put your IP and port, tried both, either, still having my issues.

Now, my problems:
    When opening INPA, I see both black circles, but there are NO chassis available to select along the bottom of the screen

So I close INPA, go into NCSEXPERT, and get 2 errors: "Chassis is faulty" and "Coapi-1020 bin\daten\e60sgfam.dat"

Any ideas here??

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by jpasiczn; 12-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    The first problem is the wrong link. Use INPALOAD.exe. vs INPA.exe.

Seen that before....
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M5
    It is INPAload.exe though...

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    ok...try the other one

Or...did you upgrade to 5 from 3?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M5
    Fresh install, first time on the computer, brand new to this game.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Glad I found this. Going to try a couple of things mentioned in this thread. My k+dcan cable reads battery and detects ignition correctly when cycled on/off, it will read the x5 4.4 dme and airbag modules, that's it. Nothing else will read, NCSexpert also doesn't work with it at the moment. I know I'm close, just have a lot to check over after reading this thread.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast