Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to Take your BMW for Service in Boston

My Cars
    F-Pace | E55 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by yersole View Post
    So I requested a quote (labor only) over email from both ACE and BPG for valve cover gaskets and upper timing case gaskets job.
    Here are my initial impressions that I thought I should share.

ACE (Baer's) email back was much more personal and I felt he took his time to answer my questions and provided recommendations based on what I was asking about. I thought the pricing was also very reasonable, roughly $540 and that includes Vanos seals which he brought up himself.

BPG, on the other hand, simply answered my questions and gave me a quote of approx. $1000! Seriously?! That's a huge difference in pricing from the $540 from ACE.

Needless to say I am not impressed with BPG and it is obvious where I will be taking my business.
    You aren't going to get much better pricing and service then what you get from Baer. Him and Tom are awesome guys along with the rest of their crew. They're ALL car guys and the service they provide is better then just about anyone else north of Boston. There prices are realistic and they use top notch parts

My Cars
    E36 318Ti
    Anymore for the Southern Mass/South Shore?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by yersole View Post
    So I requested a quote (labor only) over email from both ACE and BPG for valve cover gaskets and upper timing case gaskets job.
    Here are my initial impressions that I thought I should share.

ACE (Baer's) email back was much more personal and I felt he took his time to answer my questions and provided recommendations based on what I was asking about. I thought the pricing was also very reasonable, roughly $540 and that includes Vanos seals which he brought up himself.

BPG, on the other hand, simply answered my questions and gave me a quote of approx. $1000! Seriously?! That's a huge difference in pricing from the $540 from ACE.

Needless to say I am not impressed with BPG and it is obvious where I will be taking my business.
    I just called BPG as well and am NOT happy with how it went.

I wanted brake fluid replaced, stainless steel clutch line installed, tranny and diff fluid changed. I have already ordered AMSOIL fluids based on bimmerforums members recommendation and have the clutch line on hand as well. For these, I just need the labor. I also wanted a diagnosis on the power steering fluid as I suspect a seepage and am not happy with the power steering performance.

What I was unhappy about was the general attitude of the conversation from BPG end. The person came across as if he didn't really care if they got my business. This is what I got

A) One hour of labor for changing tranny fluid.
    B) One and a half hour's worth of labor for diff fluid. Or maybe one hour. These numbers were just thrown about.
    C) They may or may not put on the clutch line because stainless steel lines are not something they are happy to work with. Those things sometimes leake and require multiple flushes. I will have to take the car in, they will look at it and something to the effect of "will talk to technician and decide if the technician would be interested in doing it. After all, it is a 12 year old car and they will have to inspect it first before determining their interest level". Was he kidding me?
    D) Would not give me anything specific on the power steering issue because they will have to look at it. I reminded him that all I was asking for is an estimate for diagnosis.

I am not offended by anything he said in particular, just how he said it. The tone was "I don't really care for your business. We will be doing you a favor if we decide to work on your car." And I do not care for the condescending tone about my "12 year old car". It may be 12 years old but is a really beaut in top notch condition. Who talks to potential customers that way?

Who really recommends BPG around here? One must assume their work is better than their manners with potential customers.

Maybe that is not how they meant it and maybe it just came across that way on the phone. I doubt it though because my brief call to ACE was handled with so much courtesy and interest. They said they already have 3 S54s in the shop currently and sounded like they would be delighted to work on another one. I am waiting on ACE to return my call because the person that answered didn't have all the necessary information.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

i just spoke with Baer from ACE. He listened patiently to everything I had to say and offered his suggestions.
    I am definitely taking my car to them, I didn't even ask for an estimate.
    Last edited by ayjay; 06-27-2013 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The guys at ACE are as good as they get.

I went to an undercarriage tech inspection sponsored by the bmwcca at their shop. I had just picked the car up from a shop in Providence, and the guys at ACE discovered that this "Shop" in providence had installed the rear control arms in upside down and on the wrong side....

This was on a saturday, and on Sunday I had planned to go to an Autox event. Vik at ACE stayed late on a Saturday evening and fixed the other shops work. They didnt need to do this at all, they did it to help me out. I cannot thank them enough.

Baer is great, and his techs know their stuff.

My Cars
    Alpine white 328i
    Thanks for all the good said about Ace! I was happy to stay late and rectify the rear trailing arm bushing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Mike @ European Motorsport:

45 L St
    (between 2nd St & 3rd St)
    Boston, MA 02127

(617) 269-7799

My Cars
    99 540iA // 12 Forester
    I've been taking my my BMW to David at Bolts Garage for over a year now. Really nice guy. Always happy to lend a hand, and truly goes above and beyond to get the job done.
    I actually met him at 9PM to pick up my car one night. His tech had a family emergency, and I needed the car done that night. He stayed/came back to finish the job himself.

http://boltsgarage.com/
    706 Main Street,
    Hudson, Ma 01749
    978-212-5227
    (Skip emailing and call him)

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Everything people say about ACE and Baer's team is true. Had my brake, tranny and diff fluids changed. I worked from their office while the car was worked on (I'm a programmer, all I needed was Internet and a chair). Baer took me around to show the track cars they are working on. They even got me lunch while I waited.

All of the gentlemen there are very professional, methodical and courteous. I had a lot of questions and they were patient in answering them all even if they were in the middle of something.

The prices were very reasonable. And yeah, my car drives likes a dream now. One of the best experiences I have had at an auto shop if not the best.
    Last edited by ayjay; 07-13-2013 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBM View Post
    I've heard from M3 drivers on E46 that tried this new place Boston Motor Werks 1000 Pleasant St Ste 7 Belmont, MA 02478 (617) 489-0291. The mechanics worked as BMW techs at dealership before. Might be another good options near Boston area.
    I'll second this, a buddy of mine I used to work with is now over there and he is a very good tech.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xiT
    I need to throw another vote in for ACE. I've been there three times in the last two weeks (though not as bad as that sounds). First time they diagnosed the issue that I came in for. Following week I went in for the work. When I left, my Service Engine Soon light came on, so I was back there to have them take a look. Every time they were very professional. I don't know much about fixing cars (though I am an engineer, so always curious and asking questions), and they've taken the time to show me what's going on and explain it to me, which I really appreciate.

Ezra just seems like a great mechanic. Great people skills and made sure that every time he mentioned something, he explained it to me and showed me what he was talking about.

My Cars
    None
    I’m considering having a M52 head from an e36 refreshed. Nothing fancy, just a refresh for a daily driven car. I live in Metrowest Boston (Lexington). Anyone have actual experience having a head refreshed by any of the listed shops? I’m willing to travel to save a few bucks (high hourly rates near Boston!), but quality is top priority.

Thanks

My Cars
    2010 BMW 335xi sedan
    Noob here...living in Boston area. 2010 335xi sedan. Looking for local joint for regular maintenance. Suggestions. Seems like a ton of options up in heeeere.
    Looking at German Performance Service in Brighton.
    This is all quite new to me, but loooove my ride so far and want to keep it tip-top and not be robbed.

My Cars
    '99, '00 E36/8, '07 E86
    For those in the city or the inner 'burbs, I'd like to offer a strong recommendation for WAR Automotive Technology in Revere/Eastie (on 1A just past Suffolk Downs).

http://www.warautotech.com

The owner, Wil, did some work on my '99 Clownshoe, and I was very pleased with the experience. For now the shop is essentially a one man show. If you have OCD about your car (and let's face it--if you're on this site, you do), this is a good thing. I've always hated going to the stealership and dealing with the middleman in the office who probably has never even set eyes on your car. With Wil it was a very interactive process, including the fact that he personally (and patiently!) responds to his voicemail, email, etc. Ah, the lost art of customer service. I've tried out a few places in the area, but this was the first one that really hit the trifecta of service, price, and convenience.

I guess I could continue to gush, but just look around... there are other reviews online. Prices are definitely fair for the level of service, and Wil has a very good pedigree with many BMW NA certifications and a decade-plus of experience as a Master Tech at Herb Chambers and Autobahn Performance Group. Yes, he does performance tuning in addition to regular maintenance. I have some projects in mind for which I might contract his tuning services, but for now I've just had some more routine maintenance done.

Anyway, as far as I can tell the current location is just the beginning. If Wil can expand the business while maintaining the current level of service, German auto enthusiasts will have something to rejoice about. Personally, I'd prefer to keep it a guarded secret, but since I got the recommendation off a forum and was very pleased, I figured I would pass it on.

Oh--one more thing. Wil knows MINIs about as well as any indy in the state. He used to be *the* guy for JCW conversion in Boston. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case one of the three MINI people on this site happen to be reading this thread.
    Last edited by Candlepin; 05-25-2014 at 11:48 PM.

My Cars
    1984 325E

Thumbs up New Options for BMW service in Southern NH- PERFECTION AUTOMOTIVE in NASHUA NH

I just found a great new independent shop in southern New Hampshire, PERFECTION AUTOMOTIVE in Nashua. It's owned and operated by two BMW Master Techs that worked at a New Hampshire BMW dealership. I was driving down Amherst street and saw a few bimmers out front (including a 2007 M coupe) so I stopped by to check it out. It turns out the M coupe was super charged by one of the owners, Corey Knight . They don't formally open until this coming Monday, June 16th 2014, but there place looks great, and their hourly rate is much lower than the other local options, $80/hr.

Just thought I'd spread the word on what looks like a great independent shop.

My Cars
    1984 325E

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Had some great service with James at North Shore Motor Werks in Peabody.
    really reasonably priced and he even fixed a few other things for me while fixing the original issue and didn't charge me for it.
    http://northshoremotorwerks.com/

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    Had some great service with James at North Shore Motor Werks in Peabody.
    really reasonably priced and he even fixed a few other things for me while fixing the original issue and didn't charge me for it.
    http://northshoremotorwerks.com/
    Another shout out for James Hart at North Shore Motor Werks in Peabody. He took care of my E24 M6 when he was at Auto Engineering in Lexington. Really knows his stuff and always did great work. Glad to see he has set up shop on his own and would love to help keep him busy myself.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    I would also give +1s to FasTrack in Peabody, ACE in Tewksbury and Advanced Technologies in Gloucester.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525i

Exceptional BMW mechanic, Central MA (worth the drive)

So, I found this mechanic in worcester, certified bmw mechanic.. and he exemplifies what a good mechanic is. He renewed my love of my car after a slimy used car dealer, crappy warranty, and multiple shops of shoddy head gaskets, radiators and other work had me needing a new engine and almost had me selling it, after only a year. I can not speak high enough about him. Its not a pretty shop but he's extremely knowledgeable, talk you through each step, specializes in BMW and foreign cars, and finds/gives you the best deals on work and parts. I decided to finally join this forum so i could post and share this diamond in the rough for anyone looking for a reliable mechanic. You can check all the reviews and check him out yourself. Joe's awesome, I will not go anywhere else. ~ Mary

Joe’s Foreign & Domestic Auto Repair

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    anyone used Gautier Motorwerkes in Ipswich?
    http://gauthiermotors.com/

My Cars
    2003 996 turbo
    South Shore Autoworks in Kingston MA. We just opened in June. 60 years of German car experience between 3 mechanics, 30 years on BMW with dealer experience. We have all the special tools and computers to work on your cars. We also have loaner cars.

Thanks Justin
    South Shore Autoworks
    Kingston MA
    781-585-5587

www.southshoreautoworks.com

My Cars
    BMW 328i with X-drive
    Hi Experts,

Am new to this forum and keen on knowing a better care taker for my 2011 328i which comes out of warranty next week. I stay in Chelmsford, MA and while browsing the forums, found ACE to be a very reliable one.
    Can someone please confirm if its still one of the best options available near me.

http://www.aceperformancesystems.com/

Thanks
    Mick

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mickislive View Post
    Hi Experts,

Am new to this forum and keen on knowing a better care taker for my 2011 328i which comes out of warranty next week. I stay in Chelmsford, MA and while browsing the forums, found ACE to be a very reliable one.
    Can someone please confirm if its still one of the best options available near me.

http://www.aceperformancesystems.com/

Thanks
    Mick
    They're still around and still highly recommended.

I'd also suggest German Performance Services in Brighton if you're willing to drive a bit further. Rob is a good dude and knows his stuff.

My Cars
    BMW 328i with X-drive
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    They're still around and still highly recommended.

I'd also suggest German Performance Services in Brighton if you're willing to drive a bit further. Rob is a good dude and knows his stuff.

Thanks so much for the response.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post

Another vote for GPS in Brighton. Rob and Mark are great. I had them conduct a pre-purchase inspection on an E61 that I was buying. They were VERY thorough and it helped me negotiate a better price from the seller. After buying the car, I took it right back to have the work done. They clearly know their stuff and gave me a tour of the shop. Labor rates are reasonable (not just the hourly rate itself but also how they apply it to each job) and they were willing to use parts that I supplied, which saved me quite a bit of money. Car drives amazing now. I've dealt with a lot of shady mechanics over the years, and these guys were the exact opposite.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast