Thread: Weird noise coming from upper timing chain/vanos cover: Input?!?

Question Weird noise coming from upper timing chain/vanos cover: Input?!?

I'm looking at buying a 95 325i w/55k miles. All appears to be perfect with this car except one thing...with the hood open and engine idling; when I pull back on the throttle, there is a raspy, metallic rattling while the rpm's are ramping up. When I hold the rpm at @ 2000, I no longer hear it, but my mechanic friend does. At 3000, we both agree it stops. Using a stethascope, my friend pinponted the sound to somewhere between the middle of the upper timing chain cover, over to the right to the Vanos cover.

The guy who is selling it, took it to a certified dealer. (KUNI BMW in Portland, OR) After consulting with no less than 3 mechanics, here's what they said...it shouldn't make that noise, but they have heard it from time to time. None of them were aware of any problems caused by it. One mechanic had heard of a lady who'd spent $2500 and finally got rid of the noise, just to have it return 3 months later! Their recommendation was not to worry about it.

Another certified dealer said it was probably in the Vanos solenoid, but couldn't be sure. I'm having them look at it more closely next week. My mechanic friend (who is a very good mechanic but doesn't know BMW) is very leary. He is saying if it were him, he wouldn't buy the car unless he could get most or all of that $2500 off the purchase price (I already have the price to $16k and it is in excellent condition and fully loaded)

Have any of you heard of this problem? What did you find out? Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    It is possible that the noise is from the VANOs actuator. Another possibility is the upper timing chain tensioner. The tensioner is cheaper to fix.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

More on the same subject. Do anyone who have done their Timing chain Tensioner give me a pointer, while I am changing the tensioner with the valve cover off and the Vano cover off, what other parts I can remove and replace at the same time so I can save time and labor in the future. Let the valve cover gasket, I am thinking about changing out since it is right there and obvious. But is there other parts that I could have it swrap while I am chaning out my tensioner? I will be starting my work next week so I needed some pointers. Please help: Thanks.