Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Guibo/Coupling- p/n or where to buy?

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle

Steering Guibo/Coupling- p/n or where to buy?

Anyone know the part # of the stock rubber steering column guibo, or where to purchase?

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Yes, I currently have the aluminum steering guibo. However, I am suspecting based off of some preliminary symptoms that it is self-destructing the pinion bearing in my steering rack.

Combine that with the fact that I felt no perceivable improvement in steering feel over the oem coupling, I am looking to go back to stock on that particular part.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post
    Yes, I currently have the aluminum steering guibo. However, I am suspecting based off of some preliminary symptoms that it is self-destructing the pinion bearing in my steering rack.

Combine that with the fact that I felt no perceivable improvement in steering feel over the oem coupling, I am looking to go back to stock on that particular part.
    I gotcha. I checked realoem, but found no part number. I assume you've done the same. Hopefully somebody will chime in.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Yeah, its listing the entire lower shaft/joint assembly as one unit for $250 or so.

My Cars
    M
    Bumping this thread back up. Does anyone know the part number for the steering column guibo?

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    While im sure you can find it on RealOEM, I know a few people have just used hockey pucks.

Edit: just read the initial posts. Is it part of the "lower joint assembly"? As in not available separately.
    Last edited by lokijibber; 02-09-2014 at 05:20 PM.

-Todd

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by WJames View Post
    Bumping this thread back up. Does anyone know the part number for the steering column guibo?
    Sadly, it's not replaceable as a separate piece - one gets to replace the whole lower part of the steering column... though if you'd like to try to replace just it: I have a spare lower column (though one of the u-joints is a hint tight - it's yours if you pay the shipping). I have another one that's pristine that's waiting for some nice weather and the desire to bloody my hands to replace it... though going to ///M LCABs solved most of the sloppy steering that I was fighting with.

Hard to get a wrench on the fasteners holding the guibo in place... maybe one can drill them out and replace them with bolts?? But as far as I can tell they're swaged in for keeps.

Last edited by gmushial; 02-09-2014 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    Sadly, it's not replaceable as a separate piece - one gets to replace the whole lower part of the steering column... though if you'd like to try to replace just it: I have a spare lower column (though one of the u-joints is a hint tight - it's yours if you pay the shipping). I have another one that's pristine that's waiting for some nice weather and the desire to bloody my hands to replace it... though going to ///M LCABs solved most of the sloppy steering that I was fighting with.

Hard to get a wrench on the fasteners holding the guibo in place... maybe one can drill them out and replace them with bolts?? But as far as I can tell they're swaged in for keeps.
    Thanks. Sent you a PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    The giubo, how much is it different from the E30? Part # 32311153993. Does any one have E30 and a Z to compare?

like the one here http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Flex-Dis...hW6vqA&vxp=mtr ?

OR

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/32311153993/

http://www.e30club.ru/forum/index.php?topic=92985.0

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I don't have one of theirs to compare, but I have a pair of unused ones here, and they measure 52cm end to end - also note that ours have the crush zone in the middle that measures some 20cm... which I appreciate having - don't think I'd like to be driving a 1950 types non-crushable steering column.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Good information.

The E30 giubo, it does not have a crush zone? The void in the middle is the crush zone?

E36's giubo, looks lot better.. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FUgbaQodgekKIg
    E46 is similar as E36.. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FYO1wAodeHkH_g

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by saneesh8 View Post
    Good information.

The E30 giubo, it does not have a crush zone? The void in the middle is the crush zone?

E36's giubo, looks lot better.. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FUgbaQodgekKIg
    E46 is similar as E36.. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FYO1wAodeHkH_g
    Not so much the "giubo" - but the shaft itself - in that it's accordion pleated for those 20cm. ... the old style of death in head-on collisions used to be being skewered on the steering shaft, which is what the pleating, now in a head-on, the steering shaft collapses in length.... maybe the E30 - would like to believe it - but the Russian page you provided the link for has a solid shaft, ie, no give.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Was just trying to see if we can use the giubo from E46/E30/E30 (E36/E46, take out the giubo and put in this one instead of aluminum that some people tried). The Russian one looks different. it will never collapse. Solid.

Since it is Rubber, with age, it is weakening.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    If it helps: you're looking for rubber disc 72mm in diameter, with 50mm bolt spacing. ... though I'm still thinking that if one can't use a disc from another column [which is a good idea which hasn't been floated before that I can remember], that the hockey puck is the answer, and make a disc oneself. I don't like the aluminum disc idea, as you per your comment.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Thanks Greg. Let me try to get the diameter and other information for the E36 and E46 giubo's. If they match, then it should be usable?

Hockey puck, can it take the load? Will it disintegrate? It is not reinforced right?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    IE has this for the e30: https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30...ercoupler.html

I have to think that if it fit the Z3 they would also market it for the Z3, but maybe worth a shot.

I read about the hockey puck on a few threads. That seems dangerous to me. There is probably little quality control or testing in the production of hockey pucks. Also, will a random hockey puck stand up to the vibration, heat, and fumes present right beside an engine?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    I just send an email to iemotorsport to check the dimensions. Hopefully they will reply.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Thanks Greg. Let me try to get the diameter and other information for the E36 and E46 giubo's. If they match, then it should be usable?

Hockey puck, can it take the load? Will it disintegrate? It is not reinforced right?
    My impression is that the hockey puck is a tougher material than the rubber in the three discs I have access to; also the loading is going to be compressive - so I don't think I'd worry about tearing.. also, if you've ever played hockey - the pucks take quite a beating and lasts a long time... they're pretty tough stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    IE has this for the e30: https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30...ercoupler.html

I have to think that if it fit the Z3 they would also market it for the Z3, but maybe worth a shot.

I read about the hockey puck on a few threads. That seems dangerous to me. There is probably little quality control or testing in the production of hockey pucks. Also, will a random hockey puck stand up to the vibration, heat, and fumes present right beside an engine?
    The vibration I don't think I'd worry about. the heat might be a concern. The fumes if present are going to equally affect most rubbers. And per my comment to Saneesh - if you've played hockey: them pucks are pretty tough, amazingly tough - I would have very little concern about crumbling... and the fact that this is easily visibly checked from under the hood - I'd be less concerned than a RSFB going away invisibly.

- - - Updated - - -

I just send an email to iemotorsport to check the dimensions. Hopefully they will reply.
    You might check on older 3 series steering shafts, maybe back toward 2002 series...

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Here is the reply..

This part is 2.75" (70mm) in diameter and .840" thick with 4 bolts on 2" dia. circle

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Here is the reply..

This part is 2.75" (70mm) in diameter and .840" thick with 4 bolts on 2" dia. circle
    Sounds close: 72mm vs 70 I'm sure is usable; and 2" is approx. 52mm; but the .840" might a little thick - might be able to trim it down: the two here measure .720" and .722" . Though one would have to trim down the hockey puck in that they are 1.00" thick.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the reply..

Have you looked at the disc off the E28 (also used on about 10 bimmer models from '76 thru '94): 32311115090 looks like at least the structure is correct... don't know about the size.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    About 32311115090, no not yet. Seems all the sellers are international. Thought of trying the iemotorsport part
    Last edited by saneesh8; 12-15-2016 at 07:25 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    AKG has one for the E30 as well: https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-e30-poly-75d/

They have online instructions where they show removing the steering shaft, punching out the rivets and drilling out the holes to accept the bolts.

Having to take out the steering shaft kind of makes this a little less appealing to me. A whole shaft costs more, but the labor would actually be less since you don't have to drill anything out. Plus you get new u-joints.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    About 32311115090, no not yet. Seems all the sellers are international. Thought of trying the iemotorsport part
    Btw I looked on eBay, and yes, as you say they are all foreign sellers, but by using the picture and scaling it: I think in fact that's our flex disc :-) ... I might have to buy one, to verify, and if it is, try to rebuild one of the lower columns that I have here.

Follow up: found one for $17.49 shipped, so ordered it... but from E21 column. FEBI 01675 part number, which cross matches to the E21 E28 bimmer number. ... should be here next week - will see how they match up then.
    Last edited by gmushial; 12-15-2016 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    AKG's one is for racing only. Seems more harder. Seems IE part is also performance/racing

I checked mine. Joints looks tight and no play.
    Last edited by saneesh8; 12-15-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast