Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Run flat vs non?

My Cars
    2008 E91 320D Touring
    Hi y'all, Very interested to read all the comments about rft v non-rft. My issue relates to a point made by Pyrogenic in this thread about converting the boot well.

A couple of years ago, I bought an E91 '08 320d touring. Lovely machine and I enjoy driving it. However, the dealer I bought it from didn't tell me that the previous owner had switched from rfts to regular tyres. I've now had 3 tyre failures and had to call the RAC each time! As others have said, I like the non-rfts, smoother, quieter ride and on our country lanes in West Dorset, some pretty rough roads.

I need to know whether it's possible to convert the boot well to accommodate a spare wheel. I removed the boot moulding only to find a hard plastic moulding of the same shape underneath with umpteen bolts holding it in place...! Is it possible to remove this please and how best to do it? Any ideas and/or advice gratefully received.

Chris

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...nce+and+Safety

This is part of a good "I dont have a spare tire plan"

Conti developed this tech for Mercedes way back in the day, and your odds of messing up a tire pressure sensor goes way down with this kit. To this I would add a good needle nose pliers, in case your flat was caused by something you need to pull out first, and a $10 rope plug kit in case it leaves a larger hole than the goo can handle.

My Cars
    2008 E91 320D Touring
    Yes, Bill837, you're right: I didn't have a "spare tyre plan". D'oh! Is this the type of goo that means the tyre cannot be professionally repaired afterwards if need be? Is there a limit to the speed/miles once used?

And picking up your other point, are you saying that trying to convert the boot-well could risk damaging a tyre pressure sensor under the moulding?

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnjan10 View Post
    Yes, Bill837, you're right: I didn't have a "spare tyre plan". D'oh! Is this the type of goo that means the tyre cannot be professionally repaired afterwards if need be? Is there a limit to the speed/miles once used?

And picking up your other point, are you saying that trying to convert the boot-well could risk damaging a tyre pressure sensor under the moulding?
    I dont know your vehicles specifics to say about the boot, but that's one benefit of the Conti kit. Unlike Slime which is adhesive, this kit uses latex, which is easy to wipe clean. I know because my 2006 Charger had a similar system in place of a spare. And my add-on suggestions were driven by my experience with an object that was beyond the kits capability. I helped the tech when he repaired my tire and the latex wiped right out of the tire really easy.

Each tire manufacturer sets their own policy regarding tire usage after repair. But using the kit should not preclude professional repair. Which should consist of a demount, reaming out the puncture, using an abrasive tool to roughen up the inner surface and using a combination plug/patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJmpcXnc5U&t=225s

My Cars
    2008 E91 320D Touring
    Thanks Bill837, I had been looking at the Conti kit and Slime and it looks like the latex is the easier one to remove. Someone commented that spraying stuff into the tyre could affect the balancing which is a fair point. But that and a plug repair kit could cover most eventualities. I was hoping that the steel pressing of the boot section was the same whether it was supplied with spare wheel or not and that, therefore, it was big enough to hold a spare - even a space-saver!

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Well about balance, this sort of thing is NEVER a real repair, and so should not be in place long enough that any instability is an issue. Should only be used long enough to get to a repair station.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    Even the Conti kit can damage the sensors but I would say it is better than being stuck on the side of the road. The plug kits can work if you can find the hole. I would say both options would be good to have.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12