Thread: AC button light 96 Z3

My Cars
    1996 Z3; 98 Discovery

AC button light 96 Z3

I found ever other light but that one, how to replace it. There's the AC button which illuminates blue and the recirculating button under it that illuminates yellow/orange. Do these pop out from the outside or do you have to go in from the inside?

Thanks
    John

My Cars
    z3
    You can either pop it off from the outside or remove the shift boot or shift gate and reach your hand underneath the dash and pop it out that way

Be careful because the tabs between buttons break very easily

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1996 Z3; 98 Discovery
    okay, I appreciate the info.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You can either pop it off from the outside or remove the shift boot or shift gate and reach your hand underneath the dash and pop it out that way. Be careful because the tabs between buttons break very easily
    Which way is best for not breaking any tabs?

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    I would go from the rear by trying to reach through the gear shift hole as mentioned. This particular switch has wide tabs that are going to be hard to compress. Only time I removed mine was when I pulled the entire console.

Take a look at some Google Images of the switch to see the tabs... Search "96 Z3 AC Recirc Switch"

To replace the bulb, you must disassemble the switch as well. IIRC, there is a colored boot over a normal incandescent bulb. Doubt I have any record of the actual bulb I ordered to replace it... Or my memory is of the newer round button style :-(
    Last edited by kojohns; 07-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.