Thread: Smelling exhaust from the heater vents

My Cars
    Hellrot

Smelling exhaust from the heater vents

I have been noticing a significant exhaust smell when the heater is turned on in the mornings and when accelerating. It seems like it is leaking into the cabin.

Thanks

My Cars
    325iS
    my saturn has a pretty big oil leak and when you turn on the heat you can smell the oil burning...

My Cars
    92 325is
    I actually have the same problem (exhaust smell, but only mild), so if anyone could help out I'd be greatful.
    RISKY DEVIL RISKY DEVIL RISKY DEVIL RISKY DEVIL

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Well I didn't see a question mark in that post, so I guess you're just bragging. So, uh, congratulations on your exhaust leak
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    92 325is
    Your thoroughness and attention to detail put me in awe. Do you work for the IRS?
    RISKY DEVIL RISKY DEVIL RISKY DEVIL RISKY DEVIL

My Cars
    Hellrot
    Originally posted by bimmer95
    Well I didn't see a question mark in that post, so I guess you're just bragging. So, uh, congratulations on your exhaust leak
    Well a question mark in the post title would suggest I am asking if anyone has or is encountering this problem.

the title would actually have to be re-phrased or instroduced with a "Why am I..." or "WTF..."

And I was wondering why your post count was so high.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Originally posted by Blazin95Red325i
    Well a question mark in the post title would suggest I am asking if anyone has or is encountering this problem.
    Hmm, none there either. Perhaps you've been breathing exhaust fumes for too long already.

Your best bet is to crawl under the car and listen for the point of the leak as this really isn't a known problem on E36s. E36 exhausts tend to stay pretty leak free.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    325iS
    if you have an exaust leak you will hear it, and if your ears arnt tuned enough to pinpoint an exhaust leak then stick a rag in the tailpipe and look for some smoke to pour out...since its winter now the cold weather will make it easy to spot the smoke

My Cars
    Hellrot
    Well it may be that my cat/muffler has a hole?

I'll check soon, thanks

My Cars
    '02 325i, '80 MGB LE
    I guess I'll add my inquiry to the string. I have a high mileage '02 325i and I get what I would categorize as an underhood smell from my dash outlets when I use heat but not A/C (at least I can't smell it when the A/C is on). By underhood smell I mean that slight burnt oil / coolant smell you smell under the hood. This is definitely NOT the mold smell - I know what that smells like and this ain't it. It's not strong enough to be a leak and it's been thoroughly checked. It gets worse when I dial the little wheel toward hot (red) and lessens when I dial it toward blue. All I can think of is somehow underhood air is getting into the system from somewhere. How does that little wheel adjust temp? The filter has been changed and there are no critters in there. Any ideas???

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is
    i have the same problem with my 328is and when i floor the gas pedal and then come to a stop smoke comes out from underneath the car . i cant figure out what it is from and it looks like the smoke is coming out right before the cat? if anybody can help that would be great.