Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin325i build thread

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post

If you had a backup for your DD, then that would defeat the purpose of a DD. When the fuel pump in my tahoe went, I drove the e36 to work. I don't see the point of driving a "heavily" modded car everyday with the time and money that has been invested when there is a "backup." Not to mention the increased risk of a potential accident.
    I have my turbo car, that's my daily for 3 out of the 4 seasons. It gets put away for winter. Then I also own a house, shop, and income property. This forces you to have a P/U truck or van of some sort, so I also have a pick up for my winter commute , and for other reasons regarding the above. The truck isn't a "backup" for the car. Its used only when needed. But the turbo car is daily driven 3/4 seasons.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I have my turbo car, that's my daily for 3 out of the 4 seasons. It gets put away for winter. Then I also own a house, shop, and income property. This forces you to have a P/U truck or van of some sort, so I also have a pick up for my winter commute , and for other reasons regarding the above. The truck isn't a "backup" for the car. Its used only when needed. But the turbo car is daily driven 3/4 seasons.
    Only fear I have with driving a heavily modded car is that the cost of the mods clearly outweigh the value of the car. I've seen too many times where my friends have been hit and the insurance undercut them. But I guess that is one of the risk even in an accident that isn't your fault. I'd rather avoid this situation all together. If someone has the funds to heavily modify a car, then they probably have the money to buy a cheap, reliable daily.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post

Only fear I have with driving a heavily modded car is that the cost of the mods clearly outweigh the value of the car. I've seen too many times where my friends have been hit and the insurance undercut them. But I guess that is one of the risk even in an accident that isn't your fault. I'd rather avoid this situation all together. If someone has the funds to heavily modify a car, then they probably have the money to buy a cheap, reliable daily.
    Buy it back from INS, find another shell and transfer over. Not really an issue.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    I have a take home work car, E30 beater, my booster red E36, and a duramax.

So I think I'm covered if my junk breaks.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I'm not saying you can't drive your heavily modified turbo car often, but if you really need a "backup car," is it really fitting the definition of what most people would consider a daily driver? I'd say not.

I also don't get why most guys here think standalones are "unreliable." If anything, mine is MORE reliable than any stock ECU/DME. It has a ton of protection algorithms in place to protect the engine that you just won't get with a stock setup and a bunch of add on boxes.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    I'm not saying you can't drive your heavily modified turbo car often, but if you really need a "backup car," is it really fitting the definition of what most people would consider a daily driver? I'd say not.
    Pretty much what I'm getting at...But if some are talented enough to buy a shell and transfer parts that haven't been damaged then I guess that's admirable too.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Daily driver = car that's driven daily. Pretty cut and dry.

Just cause you have a second car doesn't mean you don't have a daily driver.

You could have a Toyota Camry and a Dodge Dakota , the Camry is driven daily and the Dakota is used for dump runs and bullshit like that.

But because you "own" 2 cars does this mean you don't have a fu%@en daily driver ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    Looks good, would be nice to see you at an autocross event.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Daily driver = car that's driven daily. Pretty cut and dry.

Just cause you have a second car doesn't mean you don't have a daily driver.

You could have a Toyota Camry and a Dodge Dakota , the Camry is driven daily and the Dakota is used for dump runs and bullshit like that.

But because you "own" 2 cars does this mean you don't have a fu%@en daily driver ?
    I said nothing about owning two cars. I said if you need a backup vehicle because the "DD" has the high potential for unreliability (i.e. more than 1 mechanical issue in 1-2 years), is it really a DD? Most would say no.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

I said nothing about owning two cars. I said if you need a backup vehicle because the "DD" has the high potential for unreliability (i.e. more than 1 mechanical issue in 1-2 years), is it really a DD? Most would say no.
    Who the hell now a days doesn't own 2 cars ? Anyone here ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think the point is that you NEED to have 2 cars if one is modified on a budget to 3x stock power. It just isnt going to be as reliable as stock and there may be conditions when you dont want to or cant drive it. Maybe winter snow, maybe rain, maybe hot days because there is no AC, maybe when you have to carry 4 but cant because you have a roll bar, or maybe when you need to fix some of the bunch of extra stuff you added to the car or have some project you need to do on it that you would not need to do on a stock car.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Who the hell now a days doesn't own 2 cars ? Anyone here ?
    You're still missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I think the point is that you NEED to have 2 cars if one is modified on a budget to 3x stock power. It just isnt going to be as reliable as stock and there may be conditions when you dont want to or cant drive it. Maybe winter snow, maybe rain, maybe hot days because there is no AC, maybe when you have to carry 4 but cant because you have a roll bar, or maybe when you need to fix some of the bunch of extra stuff you added to the car or have some project you need to do on it that you would not need to do on a stock car.
    Exactly.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I'll be honest. My car is compromised. And it has full interior, ac, heat, even snow tires and wheels. It is loud, stiff, has a noisy 1 piece driveshaft, a heavy clutch with grabby ceramic disk, and a whole lot of extra wiring and parts. No way is it a great daily driver. If it was my only car I would be stranded at times. But I enjoy driving it and did 8k miles in 2015 in it -- more than in my E90M3.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Well, from mid April to late November I drive a 650+whp car to work 6 days a week.
    Then drive it home, then to the grocery store, and to where ever I feel like. Then on sunday, I get up early when the highway is clear and go for about 2 hours of blasting around. <---- period , = daily driver.

I'm not missing any points. The original comment was "its stupid to daily drive a heavily modified car" .

If that's not "Daily driving" then maybe , someone would like to define "daily driving " so I can better understand.

Original comment

Heavily modifying a DD is a stupid move.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 02-12-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36
    A daily driven vehicle is a transportation device that is used throughout all seasons of the year. True or False?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Jeesh, I'm embarrassed to say that I daily drive my car, no second car, year round. To work, to the grocery store to autox, track days and to the drag strip and home. I also pick up parts and supplies for work so I guess it's also my work truck. I only commute about 35 miles a day and it doesn't really snow here so I don't have it as bad as some of you.

I have been thinking about getting a second car for a couple of years now, does that count?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    95 M3
    To classify as a daily driven vehicle, you must drive it every day.

Why is this so hard to understand?
    WOT

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Jeesh, I'm embarrassed to say that I daily drive my car, no second car, year round. To work, to the grocery store to autox, track days and to the drag strip and home. I also pick up parts and supplies for work so I guess it's also my work truck. I only commute about 35 miles a day and it doesn't really snow here so I don't have it as bad as some of you.

I have been thinking about getting a second car for a couple of years now, does that count? Sent from my GTX3582R
    That is impressive, because you have done a lot of complex projects on your car. Most of us can't get those done in one night to be back on the road the next day. As I recall, you even had an engine failure along the way, so to fix that in a day is even more impressive. If you can get a second car, there will be less pressure. It is a nice luxury if you can afford it.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    As I recall, you even had an engine failure along the way, so to fix that in a day is even more impressive.
    LOL! I had a second car when my engine popped a few years back but eventually sold it when someone gave me a '98 540i 6-speed with s blown engine. As it turned out his mechanic falsely diagnosed the issue and I had it running great for $500 in parts. That was going to be my winter car but within three months I lent it to a friend that totalled it turning left in an intersection. Insurance paid me $6500 + the car, I stripped it and sold the parts and walked away with close to $10000.

I hoping another good deal like that shows up again but in the mean time I'm pretty happy with how solid my car has been for the last couple of years.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    I'm don't know why I feel like I need to do this but here's the break down of what's happened to the car over the last 6 years I've owned it. It hasn't been sitting in pieces coming together the whole time collecting dust. There was a nearly 2 year gap that it sat for while I finished college, got a job, and moved.

07/2010: Purchase 100% stock completely blown out suspension 328i automatic
    08/2011: Running/driving, standalone, turbo, 5 speed, m3 brakes-hubs-trailing arms- axles etc
    11/2011: Stored for winter
    04/2012: Driving all summer, daily driver for most of it
    11/2012: Store 200 miles away

2013 Finish college, Start new job, move, car sits whole time

06/2014: Assemble new engine
    09/2014: New engine in car and running/driving
    06/2015: Daily driving
    10/2015: Stored again
    12/2015: AEM install

Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post

I have been thinking about getting a second car for a couple of years now, does that count?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    That's very impressive. I like being able to work at my own pace since I hate having to fix things in a rush to make it to work the next day. It just makes the hobby not fun.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    To classify as a daily driven vehicle, you must drive it every day.

Why is this so hard to understand?
    You must?

That sounds odd.... I don't see how anyone can tell someone they can only have 1 car and it has to be driven every single day .

I consider my BMW to be a daily meaning I could jump in and drive it any single day I chose to. It's not a track car, its not a show car. But it's a 100% road worthy and reliable car. But I also have a 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) car that I enjoy driving as well.

I also don't see why you have to drive a car through all seasons to make a DD classification... Although I have driven my turbo BMW in the winter, I no longer have to do so because I have a car better suited to the task (AWD > RWD). That doesn't mean I can't. I just chose not to anymore.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Not sure why anyone would want to drive an E36 in the winter anyway. Lots of them are rusting and salty roads won't help.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Sorry, Kevin.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    93 M318is Sedan (lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin325i View Post
    I like being able to work at my own pace since I hate having to fix things in a rush to make it to work the next day. It just makes the hobby not fun.
    Most truth I've seen all day! This is exactly how I feel.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Sorry, Kevin.
    This is like the most viewz my thread has ever gotten.

I feel so popular.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast