Video walk through on the BMW E39’s key fob functions and sharing a few tips. Similar key fobs can also be found on the E31, E38, and E46. This particular car I am working with is a 1997 BMW 540i and is equipped with the wolf whistle alarm. This particular remote I have hear is the earliest version available on the E39, as the years progressed there was some changes and eventually the E39 body style came with a diamond shaped key that has a rechargeable battery. The key is recharged through the ignition and unfortunately can fail due to age. While it is difficult, people have been success at replacing the rechargeable battery and it’s a much cheaper option than buying a new remote. This one I have in my hand does have a replaceable battery and I do have a video on how that’s done along with button replacement.

Buttons are also replaceable on this remote, from factory they are moulded to the case but with a little patience they can be removed and replaced with an aftermarket option for only a few dollars.

These remotes have three buttons, one being a lock, next is the unlock, and finally a trunk unlatch option. When unlocking the car, while this is in the day time, the interior lights will illuminate for a certain duration. The wolf whistle was available from the year 1995 to 1998, after that BMW switched to an electronic chirp. BMW has discontinued a wolf whistle replacement, both the electronic chirp and wolf whistle alarms are interchangeable.

The alarm is activate when the red light on the mirror is flashing. Once locking the car, press and hold the lock button again. This will deactivate the tilt sensor and motion sensor in the interior. This will be shown by the red LED light below the mirror lighting up solid. Once it goes out, the extra sensors have been deactivated. The motion sensor in the interior is located on the headliner in a square box behind the sunroof.

If you have unlocked the vehicle, with this feature you can also use the convenience option which allows you to open all the windows and sunroof. Considering this is a North American car, the feature to close the windows with the remote has been deactivate in this market due to safety reasons. However this can be activated by BMW programming software.

While this is a North American car, you can still close your windows using the key which can also be done on older BMWs too. Simply lock your doors with the key, then continue to hold this position until the windows and sunroof is fully closed. If this doesn’t work, your car may have a fault with the microswitches in the door lock assembly.

In order to activate the panic mode, you must press and hold the truck button for 2 to 5 seconds until that alarm activates. I believe there is a timed duration for this feature until it automatically shuts off, but you can also deactivate it by pressing the unlock button.

Thank you to all those who watch my videos and support my content. Don't forget to subscribe to my channel for future tutorial videos and like my video if you found it helpful. New videos are always being uploaded every week!