Thread: Is my battery dead or just in need of maintenance?

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"

Is my battery dead or just in need of maintenance?

The battery in my 98 (I assume the original) will start the car (even in the coldest weather we've had), but if I leave the blinkers on for 5 min, there's not enough juice to turn it over. However, after driving around (recharging from alternator), it'll keep enough juice to start. I've run it completely down 2 times now. Should I just get a new one or is there life in this one yet?

Kyle

My Cars
    1992 325i
    IMHO, you can do one of two things:
    1) Continue using the battery as it is and risk not being able to start the car one night or, 2) you can replace your own battery and not have to worry about it for quite some time. If the battery is the only thing bothering you about your car (meaning no CE lights, no work to be done, etc.) then replace the battery and drive a "perfect" car for awhile. Good luck.
    1992 325i

My Cars
    996TT * FZJ80
    Replace it. Typical life span for a battery is about 5 years, less if you're in colder weather. Sure, batteries can last longer than this, but yours is on it's way out.

As Saloon alludes to, is it worth getting stranded? Keep your current battery in there and it is inevitable.
    * 996TT * FZJ80 * B4 1078rr * ZX-10r *

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking, too.

Kyle

My Cars
    95 M3
    I agree new battery. My car would start okay, but If I had the headlights on and tried to start it wouldn't turn over. I had my son measure the battery voltage while I turned the engine over with the lights on it measured 5.5Vdc. With just the headlamps on the the battery measured 11.6Vdc.
    Pull the battery out and take to place like Autozone they can check the battery out for you.
    1995 Cosmos Black M3
    OBDI 3.2L Euro HFM and lots of other stuff to make it faster on open track days. Car is faster than the driver has nerve....