Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convertible Top Leaking at windshield...HELP!

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio

Convertible Top Leaking at windshield...HELP!

Hi Everyone,

I am having a leak and I'm not too happy at the moment (its raining). Here are the details. The leak appears only at the point where the convertible top meets the A-pillar (windshield)...mostly on the driver's side, but on the passenger side as well. I cleaned out the drain tubes in the corners of the windshield and that didn't help a bit.

My rubber seals surrounding the edge of the top look to be in excellent condition. They are pliable and soft, with no signs of damage or drying out at all. I also adjusted the tightness of the latches and that didn't do a thing either. When I put the top up, it closes quite tightly.

Are the rubber seals at all adjustable on the Z3? Does anyone have any words of advice for how I can stop this leak? Any suggestions will be immensely helpful! Thanks!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    open the top, look at the section of rubber seal at the top corner of the windshield.

You will see a triangular rubber plug in the seal- that my no longer be glued to the surrounding seal.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Ohhh how I feel your pain! Hopefully my leak was the same cause as yours because then I can help you!

If you take the top down and look at the top corner of the windscreen where the leak is you will see a tiny little hole about 4mm big. That was my cause of my leak because water was running into that little hole and then flowing through the seal where the roof meets the top. My seals looked great to but water would go thru that little hole and then flow down through that seal which created an awful leak!

The seal where the water actually comes out of it on the corner of the windscreen, looks like a circular piece of rubber pushed into the middle of it? If that makes sense!

Anyway to solve all your problems go buy some auto silicone and squeeze a bit in that tiny little hole i refered to, let it dry and then see how it goes. That's what worked for me and to think BMW said I needed all new seals for $800! Haha!
    Last edited by 4PotZ3; 06-28-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Typo :(

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    I will try both of these, my thanks to both of you. The downer is that the car is outside and it is cold and rainy, so I can't do much about it right now. I've got the trashy looking (but effective) multiple towels laid down on the seats.

I live in a beach town so hopefully passersby will just think that I have beach towels tossed in my car..........hahaha!
    -Dusty

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Yehh I had the towel look going on to, but when it was heavy heavy rain it sucked getting into the car to find the towel had soaked up all it could and puddles of water was on the bottom of the seat etc haha.

Nothing more annoying though then it dripping on you while you drive!

Anyway if it doesn't work let me know! There are two other things
    You could try!

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Common problem. Like SunzOut mentioned, if you look at the corners, you'll see a circular rubber core that has become separated from the surrounding seal. Other's have repaired it by resealing the core to the seal with silicone. There should be a past thread on this.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    +1 to the good responses above.

Gummi Pflege (rubber care) also helps. Apply to all the rubber door and top seals.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...inszt_pg10.htm

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Gummi Pflege will only work if the seals are in good shape but dry. Won't help when the core has already separated from the rest of the seal. What happens is once the core does that it shrinks into the seal a bit, creating a pocket where water can collect. That's your source of the leak right there. Gummi Pflege is only a maintenance item to keep all rubber seals supple. Once you have a leak, it's already too late.

Not to rain on your advice. GP is neat stuff, but it's not a miracle cure. Went down that road prior to replacing the seals, didn't stop the leaks.
    Last edited by felonious monk; 06-29-2011 at 01:41 AM.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Gummi pfledge will help a little though, I mean it won't stop the leak but it helps the seal expand a bit closer to it's original size. After I sealed my gaps with silcone i treated all the seals with autoglym rubber and seal care and they all expanded a bit or went back closer to their original size, shape etc.

I think you should do this to because it lengthens the life of your seals and also helps restore them

My Cars
    96 Z3 DASC, 07 E92 328i
    Think we've all had this problem, or have it coming at least. I almost did the Gummi Pflege, but then realized the little gasket was already very supple. Heck if I went at it with the silicone I would be a nervous wreck for the rest of time knowing it didn't match the other.
    “Speed has never killed anyone.... Suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Supercharged

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by 4PotZ3 View Post
    Gummi pfledge will help a little though, I mean it won't stop the leak but it helps the seal expand a bit closer to it's original size. After I sealed my gaps with silcone i treated all the seals with autoglym rubber and seal care and they all expanded a bit or went back closer to their original size, shape etc.

I think you should do this to because it lengthens the life of your seals and also helps restore them

Yes, it'll expand the rubber seal, however once the core has separated from the seal, it will not expand the rubber enough to matter. The top and the seal have to press up against one another to form a good seal. With the core separated and retracted, there is not enough backing to create a tight seal. And without a tight seal, water collects in the cavity and drips into the interior.

GP is only good for restoring seals, not for repairing damaged ones. There is nothing more I can say about this. It's the road many have gone down before you.
    Last edited by felonious monk; 06-29-2011 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    +1 on the rubber plug fix. Like its been said... most of us have done it.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    Yes, it'll expand the rubber seal, however once the core has separated from the seal, it will not expand the rubber enough to matter. The top and the seal have to press up against one another to form a good seal. With the core separated and retracted, there is not enough backing to create a tight seal. And without a tight seal, water collects in the cavity and drips into the interior.

GP is only good for restoring seals, not for repairing damaged ones. There is nothing more I can say about this. It's the road many have gone down before you.

I know that I agreed it wouldn't stop the leak once the seal had shrunk? I simply said AFTER the hole is plugged with silicone then use GP all around where the leak was and the rest of your seals and rubber lining to help restore them to prevent future leaks....i didn't say the OP should just use GP?

I've travelled down this road as well, I know what I'm talking about just like you do.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I had the same problem. Tried Gummy but impact was minimal. I now use an aircraft seal product called DS4 which is amazing. As for the leaks...I cut up a bicycle innertube and used rubber glue to glue two triangle patches over the leak point. Problem solved and more attractive than a bunch of automotive silicone in the area.
    Completed to date
    Go: ECIS CAI,Ron Stygar's clutch slop fix, Conforti Software, Magnaflow exhaust
    Stop: Next up!
    Turn: HR Springs, Bilstien shocks, Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement,
    Look: WSM, AC Schnitzer pedals and dead pedal,
    Hear: Alpine iDA X305 w/IPOD in center console, Dueling Alpine amps, RoadsterSound Sub w/JL Audio 6w0,

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio

Smile

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. We are having a really nice, sunny day today so I got a chance to get out early this morning and try some of these excellent recommendations.

SunzOut, I sealed the edges of the triangle things. They did look a tad loose.

4PotZ3, I sealed up those 4mm holes that you pointed out

Volkswagen gave me some special lubricant when I bought my new EOS Convertible specifically for the roof seals. It is supposed to lubricate / condition them and other owners are saying that it kind of 'fattens' up the seals a bit. So, when my silicone patches have completely dried I'll lube my seals with that stuff. I hope that between three separate fixes, at least one of them will do the trick. I'll water test it in the afternoon tomorrow (to really give the silicone drying time. I'll report my findings.

Thank you again, everyone!!!
    -Dusty

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    I just did a VERY extensive leak test. I now have a 100% leak free Roadster! Ya-Hoo!!!
    -Dusty

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Haha glad it's fixed! Now you can go outside and breathe a sigh of relief anytime you have to drive your car in the rain!

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster

OK, I have the same problem...

I must say I'm a complete novice when is comes to this stuff. Can someone clarify for me what is meant by "core" and "seal". I did wikidpedia a-pillar some I'm clear on that.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Perhaps a picture will help. I had a big leak also and fixed it with the help of the threads. Here is a picture of the left and right A-pillars after the fix. The white material is the dried gorilla glue that seeped out. (I'll scape off the part that shows later).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waterguy; 02-17-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Bigger image sizes
    Mods: Whalen seat bushings/Glove box fix/LeatherZ arm rest/
    Washington state Z's area rep.

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    Them photos are TINY.

My Cars
    1997 bmw z3 roadster
    Anybody have anything for a slow leak over the side windows?? Its quite annoying and no one has been able to help me

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster

Windscreen corner leaks fixed!!

My windscreen top corner leaks are fixed. Thanks all for the information. I bought some Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant at Autozone and put a small amount in the little holes at the windscreen top corners and also spread a small amount of the same adhesive sealant around each of the triangular plugs (which had separated from the seal). Let dry.

After a few good rains in Houston the inside of my roadster is dry as a bone .

This forum is GREAT!

My Cars
    1996 328i convertible

Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by ZorNotToZ View Post
    Anybody have anything for a slow leak over the side windows?? Its quite annoying and no one has been able to help me
    Hi Ive just bought a 96 328 convertible and it looks like I need the seal, are they only available from the dealer.

My Cars
    '00 Z3, '02 325i, '64 Malibu SS
    The side windows can be adjusted toward the seals by loosening the two 10mm on the bottom edge of the door - there are slots to allow in/out.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterguy View Post
    Perhaps a picture will help. I had a big leak also and fixed it with the help of the threads. Here is a picture of the left and right A-pillars after the fix. The white material is the dried gorilla glue that seeped out. (I'll scape off the part that shows later).
    Other than these pics, I don't know where to find or look for these leaks based on your descritions as it's my mom's car, so I'm not very familiar w/ it. She's got a leak in both corners of where the convertible top meets the a-pillar, so depending on the rain she'll either get a perfect drip of water running down the window or else it's a steady drip on the corner of the seat. I've looked at the seals, and they appear to be fine, but can someone post up a pic of EXACTLY the corner they're talking about w/ the diamond plug, where it's usually coming apart, how you guys apply the silicone (apply it to the convertible top side, close the top (what keeps it them from adhering to each other, using wax paper or saran wrap), etc. These Gorilla Glue images are the places I've looked, but I'm at a loss here and wanna get it fixed so I can get my X5 back from her before Bimmerfest lol.
    Last edited by m5james; 04-07-2018 at 12:41 AM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    PERFORMANCE:JB4 w/ meth, stage 2 tune, wrapped downpipes, custom intake
    INTERIOR:AVIN 10.25" screen, Blackvue 550 dashcam, 7" tablet for JB4 logging
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci
    PERFORMANCE:Single mass flywheel, ///M3 clutch
    EXTERIOR:Z4///M staggered 18's, rolled fenders, tinted markers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast