Thread: pricing help: complete e46 manual swap

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8; 1999 Suzuki SV650; 1974 Honda CB550F

pricing help: complete e46 manual swap

I'm ready to get together a auto to manual swap for a wagon, and I was hoping for some help on pricing. I found a part yard with a complete swap kit (including lines, brackets, bolts, etc...everything in one package). They're asking 1000. Is that high? What would a private party deal be, approx? Parts are from a 2000 323 sedan.

thanks so much. I wouldn't know where to begin pricing a whole kit like this.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Subscribed, I would like to know also. I looked up transmission prices prices on ebay, some were as low as $300. Are you working on it yourself?

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    1k imo is a good price. Maybe negotiate the price down a bit since its a private party.
    I would not do a manual swap on a E46, I would just buy a manual to start with. However this is a wagon and those are hard to find a manual so I'd say it's well worth it.

My Cars
    Yes, I do my own work. And yes, manual wagons are rare, unless you want AWD. There've been at least 4 awd models in the Houston area over that last 6 months, and all were manual. Zero manual rwd.

I got the kit down to 800.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    $800 is a steal for a complete kit... I would say that'd be a good price for the tranny even if it didn't come with any of the installation hardware

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by poorfatjames View Post
    Yes, I do my own work. And yes, manual wagons are rare, unless you want AWD. There've been at least 4 awd models in the Houston area over that last 6 months, and all were manual. Zero manual rwd.

I got the kit down to 800.
    There is 1 prefacelifted manual touring for sale locally. It's red (which is also rare). Around 30K miles. Priced kind of high, but reasonable for the mileage I guess.

I looked for 5-6 months. Drove as many facelifted ones as possible before shipping one from out of state to my house. Manual was pretty much impossible to find in RWD, ZSP, Xenons, heated seats, and an all black interior with under 100K miles in that timeframe. I settled for an automatic.

The cleanest one I saw had higher miles on her. She was also a AWD. She was a grey-green metallic 02 325xiT at Sewell Lexus in Dallas with 98K miles (yes I went to check her out with intent on purchasing an AWD autotragic), but she was making noise while in D and stationary; at the time I didn't know that would be an easy fix. I still like what I purchased better though.

From what I gather on other forums that the auto to manual swap is not for the faint of heart, but you seem mechanically inclined and that price for everything cannot be beat.

Keep us informed of your progress. If you can document your process and share the info.
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 06-25-2011 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    There is 1 prefacelifted manual touring for sale locally. It's red (which is also rare). Around 30K miles. Priced kind of high, but reasonable for the mileage I guess.

can you show me?

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    can you show me?
    Yes sir!

I don't want to tread on anyone's asking price, so I am saying kind of high...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 06-25-2011 at 07:35 PM.

My Cars
    FUUUUDDGGE!!!

is what I said out loud.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Lol, just do the swap on your car, with a DIY to boot.

Ned, cmon man, eBay is not a reliable source for automotive parts. You can never trust it's durability/fitment/application... the list goes on.
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    13' Nissian Frontier P4x
    Might be able to find stuff at bavarian auto recycling... i think i have heard good things about them. Dont that rebuild and test everything before sellign also?
    BFC Nikonian #6
    BFC Motocycle Club!

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NDubSki View Post
    Lol, just do the swap on your car, with a DIY to boot.

Ned, cmon man, eBay is not a reliable source for automotive parts. You can never trust it's durability/fitment/application... the list goes on.
    Yeah true, im not actually buying off ebay, Im just looking at prices for manual trannies.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Neds Bimmer View Post
    Yeah true, im not actually buying off ebay, Im just looking at prices for manual trannies.
    rather than swapping your car, just trade for a manual. Or sell yours and wait for the right E46 with a manual transmission. Maybe get an M3 or ZHP

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    rather than swapping your car, just trade for a manual. Or sell yours and wait for the right E46 with a manual transmission. Maybe get an M3 or ZHP
    With the mileage he's got on his car? Hell no, I'd stick with the auto or swap.
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Haha yeah I'm just gonna pray for the auto tranny to break.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    FUUUUDDGGE!!!

is what I said out loud.
    Are you upset?

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Update?