Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Honolulu auto parts and services compendium

My Cars
    1982 Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by turborevdboy11 View Post
    I wouldn't mind Tim knights number too! I want someone to install my oil cooler on my e92!!!! Mahalo!
    Tim's number that we have on file. 597-1191. Don't know if that is still good but you can try.

Quote Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
    Why are we putting the bad shops on here too?

I guess I only see one bad one for now.

BME. They changed the oil on my car with out taking out the oil. So yes it had twice the oil. The car was shaking when they gave it back to me. It took them two additional hours of me waiting around to get back to work and then they said that they simply overfilled it because of what their instructions said. I called back later and the truth came out. I left with the car still overfilled and they told me it was no big deal and if I thought it was still a prob to come back later.
    Hi, I'm Rick from BME, Voytek's shop.

Just got back to this forum after an extended leave. I want to sincerely and humbly apologize for that experience. The tech that worked on your car was trained and certified at a BMW dealership and was the most currently updated tech at our shop on the day you brought your car in and had dealer experience with the E92. He made a mistake that in no way should have happened. Not in the least representative of what happens at our shop. He simply did not drain all of the oil and thought he had. It was overfilled but not at twice capacity. It took the extra time to make absolutely sure that the oil level was proper and we weren't going to casually blow it off. Again I apologize.

This type of occurance is not all that rare either and there is even a letter devoted to it in the August 2012 issue of Roundel Tech Talk section. Again, no excuses.

Being that this is pretty much a private forum I don't want to come off as too much of a shill for the shop. I don't mind honest, constructive criticism will try to help where I can. Thanks for the time folks.
    Last edited by bmemac; 11-09-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2007 bmw 335i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmemac View Post
    Tim's number that we have on file. 597-1191. Don't know if that is still good but you can try.

Just got back to this forum after an extended leave. I want to sincerely and humbly apologize for that experience. The tech that worked on your car was trained and certified at a BMW dealership and was the most currently updated tech at our shop on the day you brought your car in and had dealer experience with the E92. He made a mistake that in no way should have happened. Not in the least representative of what happens at our shop. He simply did not drain all of the oil and thought he had. It was overfilled but not at twice capacity. It took the extra time to make absolutely sure that the oil level was proper and we weren't going to casually blow it off. Again I apologize.

This type of occurance is not all that rare either and there is even a letter devoted to it in the August 2012 issue of Roundel Tech Talk section. Again, no excuses.

Being that this is pretty much a private forum I don't want to come off as too much of a shill for the shop. I don't mind honest, constructive criticism will try to help where I can. Thanks for the time folks.
    Thanks for the phone number!

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Quote Originally Posted by turborevdboy11 View Post
    Thanks for the phone number!
    I don't think that number works anymore. You can try and drop by Tropical Otto Parts on Queen/Cummins as I frequently see his VW Bus parked there.

My Cars
    1982 Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beastmaster View Post
    I don't think that number works anymore. You can try and drop by Tropical Otto Parts on Queen/Cummins as I frequently see his VW Bus parked there.
    I spoke to Tim personally Friday. Sat right across from me while we tried to find a lock tumbler repair kit for an E46. Dealership gave him the number for an E36 lock.

He confirmed that the number is correct but that he hadn't been answering lately. Says he's back in action now though.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by bmemac

Thanks Rick. I also had an issue with you guys, somehow my car went into limp mode when you gave it back to me. It took me forever to find out that resetting the battery fixed everything.

My Cars
    1982 Mercedes
    Please let us know about those kind of things right away. Call me or email to bme@bmehawaii.com. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor92 View Post
    Thanks Rick. I also had an issue with you guys, somehow my car went into limp mode when you gave it back to me. It took me forever to find out that resetting the battery fixed everything.
    Again, if you, or any others out there, are having a problem, or in any way a negative experience with us, then I need to know as soon as possible. It may be nearly impossible to have everyone be happy but we do try as hard as possible within reason.

Without wanting to be too defensive this is what we recall. Chris wrote you up for poor fuel mileage complaints and a problem with the traction control warning light on. A test drive done before any scan test also showed us that the transmission was not shifting properly and was not downshifting into 1st gear when the car was stopped. The car was already starting out from a stop in a higher gear which was likely causing the poor fuel mileage. The GT-1 scan test did not return any transmission fault codes but did find several faults for the DSC & KOMBI instrument cluster. There were also CAN BUS problems that were interfering with clearing the fault codes. The shop charged a half hour of labor and recommended that more time was needed to get further into the cause of all of those problems.

I guess by resetting the battery you mean that you disconnected a battery cable and then reconnected it. If there was some sort of connectivity problem there then that possibly could have been a root cause although no voltage supply issues cropped up in the scan test.

Good on you for getting it all sorted anyway!! I'd like to think that this would have been sorted out quickly and inexpensively had we been authorized to proceed further. Cheers!
    Last edited by bmemac; 11-13-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Please let us know about those kind of things right away. Call me or email to bme@bmehawaii.com. Thanks!

Again, if you, or any others out there, are having a problem, or in any way a negative experience with us, then I need to know as soon as possible. It may be nearly impossible to have everyone be happy but we do try as hard as possible within reason.

Without wanting to be too defensive this is what we recall. Chris wrote you up for poor fuel mileage complaints and a problem with the traction control warning light on. A test drive done before any scan test also showed us that the transmission was not shifting properly and was not downshifting into 1st gear when the car was stopped. The car was already starting out from a stop in a higher gear which was likely causing the poor fuel mileage. The GT-1 scan test did not return any transmission fault codes but did find several faults for the DSC & KOMBI instrument cluster. There were also CAN BUS problems that were interfering with clearing the fault codes. The shop charged a half hour of labor and recommended that more time was needed to get further into the cause of all of those problems.

I guess by resetting the battery you mean that you disconnected a battery cable and then reconnected it. If there was some sort of connectivity problem there then that possibly could have been a root cause although no voltage supply issues cropped up in the scan test.

Good on you for getting it all sorted anyway!! I'd like to think that this would have been sorted out quickly and inexpensively had we been authorized to proceed further. Cheers!
    Thanks, but my transmission was not starting from a higher gear prior to taking it to you guys. There was no cog transmission symbol on the dashboard, car was driving fine prior. The cog light only came on once when my battery died and I replaced it.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Any personal reviews on Lex Brodie's for alignment?

My Cars
    E60 M5 | Ducati M796
    Idk about Lex Brodies, but Island Brake and Alignment in Pearl City has always been good to me. Seems like a top notch shop.

As some of you already know, my M is at A&A for a new clutch right now. womp womp
    E60 ///M5 | 2012 Ducati Monster 796 | E92 335i Retired

///team BMW hawaii

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer85 View Post
    others here use hawaiian tire for alignment, but i have since used pacific automotive- cheaper, and same high-quality work...
    big chad + drunk wimmenz = FTMFW

jarod + sterling + tom = ROFL

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer85
    They're the most expensive, I can vouch for American tire company in mapunapuna

My Cars
    2008 535i
    I made an appointment with Hawaiian Tire for this Friday. Hope they don't charge me a lot.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Needed a side marker housing for my wife's ES300 and found one for $3.50 from these guys with free UPS ground shipping!...ordered late Monday and it came today.

Perused their website and they appear to carry a large range of parts from no name Chinese stuff to quality made Japanese & German items...lots of good reviews also.

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    TWT PURP/WB/TURBO E46 M

Hi Rick,

Here are my issues with our last deal. I know you had my info after you guys told me to come back if I felt my shaking E92M was an issue. So instead of giving me a break after blowing my busy day you guys sent me packing and did not even bother to have the owner/manager give me a call. This was as non-shilant as the rest of the occurrence and I guess it showed me how much you really cared. I guess that is what I am saying is your companies general lack of care for situations like this and it was completely unacceptable to me. Responsibility sometimes encompasses more than a sly apology on a forum of potential customers. Reputations proceed and good Customer Support prevails.

One more question:

You said it was not completely drained. Then you said you had to lower the level. This took many times (4 or so). So instead of just emptying it and putting in fresh oil your team opted to slowly waste my time by slowly draining half old and half new oil leaving me with a full price oil change and half dirty oil and a wasted day...Right?

My Cars
    1982 Mercedes
    Hi Rick,

Here are my issues with our last deal. I know you had my info after you guys told me to come back if I felt my shaking E92M was an issue. So instead of giving me a break after blowing my busy day you guys sent me packing and did not even bother to have the owner/manager give me a call. This was as non-shilant as the rest of the occurrence and I guess it showed me how much you really cared. I guess that is what I am saying is your companies general lack of care for situations like this and it was completely unacceptable to me. Responsibility sometimes encompasses more than a sly apology on a forum of potential customers. Reputations proceed and good Customer Support prevails.

One more question:

You said it was not completely drained. Then you said you had to lower the level. This took many times (4 or so). So instead of just emptying it and putting in fresh oil your team opted to slowly waste my time by slowly draining half old and half new oil leaving me with a full price oil change and half dirty oil and a wasted day...Right?
    My apology is not sly, nonchalant, or in any way less than totally sincere. It matters a great deal to us that we do good work and retain our customer's trust and loyalty. I'm completely aware that it can take years to build trust and that trust can be destroyed in a single instance. That's true for all businesses and especially so for the auto repair industry. We care a lot that our customers are satisfied and at the end of your visit you were talking directly to the owner of the shop who was also apologizing to you as I recall.

One of the reasons it took longer than it should have to correct the oil level situation was trying to deal with the difference between what the GT-1 oil level report was and what was showing on the display in your car. The GT-1 reports in real time and was giving us one reading while there was a time lag discrepancy with what the car display showed. We wanted to be absolutely sure the level was spot on and here again the owner was directly involved in the job with the tech to assure that the oil level was totally accurate. The fact that you were pressed for time that day only added to the negative side of the experience. Not blaming you for anything in any way but just saying that the time constraint was another factor. Since that day we try not to do those M3 oil changes on a wait basis but if pressed on that we inform the customer that it does take longer to do properly than with other models. The same goes for the newer model M5's & M6's. Believe me that you weren't left with a mix of half old oil and half new oil but did, in fact, get a complete fill of new, fresh oil.

All things considered you have every right to feel as you do but, in any case, I would like to make a conciliatory offer of a free oil & filter change should you care to take us up on that. Is there anything more I can say or do?
    Last edited by bmemac; 11-16-2012 at 02:08 PM.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    How is Capitol Auto Service? There's a groupon for alignment and safety check combo.

My Cars
    TWT PURP/WB/TURBO E46 M
    My apology is not sly, nonchalant, or in any way less than totally sincere. It matters a great deal to us that we do good work and retain our customer's trust and loyalty. I'm completely aware that it can take years to build trust and that trust can be destroyed in a single instance. That's true for all businesses and especially so for the auto repair industry. We care a lot that our customers are satisfied and at the end of your visit you were talking directly to the owner of the shop who was also apologizing to you as I recall.

One of the reasons it took longer than it should have to correct the oil level situation was trying to deal with the difference between what the GT-1 oil level report was and what was showing on the display in your car. The GT-1 reports in real time and was giving us one reading while there was a time lag discrepancy with what the car display showed. We wanted to be absolutely sure the level was spot on and here again the owner was directly involved in the job with the tech to assure that the oil level was totally accurate. The fact that you were pressed for time that day only added to the negative side of the experience. Not blaming you for anything in any way but just saying that the time constraint was another factor. Since that day we try not to do those M3 oil changes on a wait basis but if pressed on that we inform the customer that it does take longer to do properly than with other models. The same goes for the newer model M5's & M6's. Believe me that you weren't left with a mix of half old oil and half new oil but did, in fact, get a complete fill of new, fresh oil.

All things considered you have every right to feel as you do but, in any case, I would like to make a conciliatory offer of a free oil & filter change should you care to take us up on that. Is there anything more I can say or do?
    I appreciate this after the fact. But for that reason I can't take you up on that offer as it is after the fact. Like I said, it boiled down to the customer service and that you offered no conciliatory offer when when the time was right and there was no spotlight on your business. Its what a business does when no one is watching that interests me especially when it comes to the maint of my car. Anything offered here is in advertisement for future business.

My Cars
    1982 Mercedes
    I appreciate this after the fact. But for that reason I can't take you up on that offer as it is after the fact. Like I said, it boiled down to the customer service and that you offered no conciliatory offer when when the time was right and there was no spotlight on your business. Its what a business does when no one is watching that interests me especially when it comes to the maint of my car. Anything offered here is in advertisement for future business.
    Thanks. I can understand the principle behind your decision. I won't take any issue with that as I have done the the same thing. Sometimes you have to take a stand for whatever reason that is important to you. The offer remains on the board should you ever change your mind.

As for the "advertisement for future business" comment I suppose you can color that whichever way you want. The main gist of this is not so much advertisement but rather to publicly apologize for the incident since you made the criticism of our shop in public. It works both ways again. I just wanted you, and those who read this forum, to know where our hearts are at and to try to show, in some way, that we are not the boogey-man shop that a few would make us out to be.

My Cars
    TWT PURP/WB/TURBO E46 M
    Thanks. I can understand the principle behind your decision. I won't take any issue with that as I have done the the same thing. Sometimes you have to take a stand for whatever reason that is important to you. The offer remains on the board should you ever change your mind.

As for the "advertisement for future business" comment I suppose you can color that whichever way you want. The main gist of this is not so much advertisement but rather to publicly apologize for the incident since you made the criticism of our shop in public. It works both ways again. I just wanted you, and those who read this forum, to know where our hearts are at and to try to show, in some way, that we are not the boogey-man shop that a few would make us out to be.
    Ok well others can go down what ever road they want but this is fair warning and had it not come up on this forum, would you have ever made the offer?... I doubt it. Your right it goes both ways (what ever that means for you) and you can attempt to color me as the "few" unhappy....customers. You are exactly what the "few" of us have made you out to be... inconsistent. That is were I stand and I am not going to carry on any more about it unless routinely asked like usual by others. I think most of us on here would agree that your service is on the high side when compared with other reputable shops like A&A and German Auto Specialists. IMO the customer service did not constitute further business. A "few" unresolved issues can be a real hindrance (for the year or whatever break you took on the forums). So I guess you can go with that mass opinion and see how it works out. My guess is that the "few" will get the word out to the masses.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3M Roady
    Anyone know of a good body shop? I am going through the other person's insurance at this time and already had my car estimated by the insurance adjuster. I was reading through Yelp and O'Sung sounds like a good place. Also, I went to BMW of Honolulu and they said that the two BMW certified shops are Basic Auto and Central Auto Body. What do you recommend?

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    What kind of damage? Pics?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3M Roady
    I'll upload some pictures later today, but its just license plate holder gouging in the rear bumper and pass. side exhaust misalignment. Nothing major

My Cars
    03 M3 Convertable
    Anyone know where I can get a new hood emblem? Mine looks like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Quote Originally Posted by dasrite808 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a new hood emblem? Mine looks like crap.

From the stealer. Probably under $20.

My Cars
    03 M3 Convertable
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beastmaster View Post

From the stealer. Probably under $20.
    Thx bro, I'll check it out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast