Thread: e34 rear bumper removal

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i 5 Speed

e34 rear bumper removal

Even using the glory that is google with the "site:" function there was no real solid info on removing the bumper on an e34 535i. Perhaps there is something in the archives somewhere but again google searches everything with the "site:" function.

My understanding, as it is, and this is mainly because I can see because someone lost the black molding stripping, is that there are four bolts; two on each side. I just remove those and the bumper comes off all willy nilly?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    four bolts and unplug the side marker lights.
    Willy nilly as it may seem

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Try it and see. Just put a towel or blanket under the rear of the car so that when the bumper drops, you won't scratch the underside on the ground.

Diagram:

Also, use the Advanced Search:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/search.php?f=201

The Google search is useless.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i 5 Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    four bolts and unplug the side marker lights.
    Willy nilly as it may seem
    thanks ross lol. btw, got the bumper painted and almost ready. I am going to be hitting the clear with a 1k/2k grit to get the bumper slick and I'll throw it on. Looks great!

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i 5 Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    The Google search is useless.

"Ssh ssh google; he didn't mean it. Please don't kill us."
    Dare I say the google search on the site using the correct function and flags is perhaps the best search function this planet has ever seen. There was an article, a while ago, about all the different things you could do with google and different arugments, functions, and flags you could use to do all sorts of cray shit.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by astrogameguy View Post
    thanks ross lol. btw, got the bumper painted and almost ready. I am going to be hitting the clear with a 1k/2k grit to get the bumper slick and I'll throw it on. Looks great!
    Great, glad to help. Post pictures when you can.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i 5 Speed
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post22215835

that should be the thread of it. I have only pictures of the sanding and priming process for right now. The other process is slow going, as I am doing an apprenticeship and learning as i go. will get pics up for sure though!

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525i
    Trim Removal and Side Screws for Bumper - Just tried to remove my rear bumper and bailed. The trim removal (sans damage) doesn't look easy... What is the procedure?

I did get one side piece almost all the way off, but pushing it toward the rear is challenging with the center (main large) strip as the side trims tuck into the main where they meet. They also have hook-like securing tabs that require they be pushed toward the rear to unhook, implying the center strip should be removed first. However, I can't see how to do that and didn't want to damage it without asking for someone's guidance.

Oh, and what are the capped ports on under the side trim (at least on the driver's side)? I don't see any bolts within -- just another black plastic thingie.

Thanks!
    Vic

My Cars
    525i Touring
    I'm pretty sure the sides come of first. Remove the market lights and then you can hook your fingers in the rear of the light cavity and pull towards the back of the car. They all just peel off. I haven't broken any clips yet and I'm notorious for breaking clips.

My Cars
    2004 330i, 1993 520i
    ΝΟ!
    center first, side-trims slide out towards you 2 cm and then pry off

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Removing the center trim isn't as hard as it looks. Just pry up one end and squeeze the top and bottom together to help release the clips as you work your way across pulling it off.

My Cars
    1992 BMW E34 520i Sedan
    Just check the video I made
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9vrTyg9Zc