Thread: Replaced clutch fan and now overheating ?

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5

Replaced clutch fan and now overheating ?

Yesterday i replaced clutch fan (ACM brand) and now it is over heating? is there anyhthing i could have done to make this happen. By the way it was not over heating with the old one. It only start ot over heat on the interstate going 60 mph but when i am driving around 70+ it is fine.

I replaced the new clutch with the old one and it still is over heating now.

Any idea guys?
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2001 M5 Carbon Black Dinan Stage 3 - Sold
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold
    1995 /// M3 Alpine White - sold

My Cars
    97- 540
    Are you sure you didn't fill or bleed the car in the last few days? I don't think the fan clutch has anything to do when you are on the highway. However, I wouldn't choose ACM as my first choice. Behr is the brand you want.

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by jvestal View Post
    Behr is the brand you want.
    This^^^^.

As a test, put the old fan clutch back on and see if problems goes away. You're not the first to report ACM having issues even when new.

And I hope you got OEM or Behr Fan Blades!

Oopps just saw this, my bad:

Quote Originally Posted by elvirb87 View Post

I replaced the new clutch with the old one and it still is over heating now.

Any idea guys?
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-19-2011 at 06:40 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Normally the fan has no effect at highway speeds. The ram air is far more flow than the fan can provide. The only time I"ve seen an issue like you describe is when the fan was turning backwards, trying to push air out the grill. There's no way to cause this short of routing the fan belt to spin the waterpump backwards, so I'd say it's likely coincidental.

/.randy

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5
    at first i was thinking i installed the fan backwords but thats not the case. i put the oem back on and it started to overheat again on the "interstate only". This only happened once with the oem fan clutch on. I drove around toen for about 2 hours without any problems. I just put on the new clutch (ACM) and no problems as of this point. But i do have to say the ACM clutch feels like its stuck. When i take of sounds like a train. I do think it is coincidental that this problem started when i was replacing the fan clutch.
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Flipping the fan over will hurt it's efficiency, but not change the direction of flow. You have to reverse direction of rotation to reverse flow.

/.randy

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5
    Updated:

I went ahead and bleed the cooling system. I did send the ACM fan clutch back to be replaced with the BEHR fan clutch. I am driving around with the old fan clutch and everything seams to be ok. No over heating. Cross my fingers. I don't have any coolant leaks so if this happens again in the future i will replace Thermostat.
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold