Thread: ABS, Brake and traction control lights come on....sometimes

My Cars
    04 E55 AMG

ABS, Brake and traction control lights come on....sometimes

Once in a while they come on when I first start the car in the morning. Sometimes it goes a few weeks without coming on. Usually it's only the first time I drive the car, then I get back in and start it up...and all the lights stay off.

Does this mean something in my ABS is going bad? Is there a way to make it last a bit longer?
    2006 F650GS Remus Exhaust

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon540i View Post
    Does this mean something in my ABS is going bad? Is there a way to make it last a bit longer?
    1. It's probably an intermittent issue with a wheel speed sensor. Either a bad sensor or a broken wire somewhere. All of those systems use the wheel speed sensors.

2. If you want it to last "a bit longer" fix it. No way I know of to identify the broken sensor, but I'm new to E46 land.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    think the only way to identify is to hit it with a scan tool, it'll tell you what wheel's triggering the error

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    04 E55 AMG
    So it's not an ABS control module that needs to be sprayed/cleaned with that electric component cleaner product?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Cleaning the sensors won't do anything - the wheel speed sensors are hall sensors which don't rely on being clean (and we'd see *a lot* more people with wheel speed sensor issues if they were sensitive to dirt and debris). It also might not be the wheel speed sensors at all - they're a common cause of hte DSC warnings, but not the only ones. In my case it was actually a steering angle sensor.

Only way to find out exactly what the problem is is to hook up the car to a dealer computer and read the codes.

My Cars
    04 E55 AMG
    Is the ECU logging all of those codes? Because all of the lights are off now. Anytime they're on...by the time I could get to a dealer, all the lights would be off again, they never stay on very long.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon540i
    Is the ECU logging all of those codes? Because all of the lights are off now. Anytime they're on...by the time I could get to a dealer, all the lights would be off again, they never stay on very long.
    When was you last alignment?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    Could be steering angle sensor

My Cars
    04 E55 AMG
    And it only happens when my car is extremely hot, or extremely cold at startup.

For that reason, I suspect the underhood portion of that system, not the wheel speed sensors.

My Cars
    04 E55 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    When was you last alignment?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com
    Before I bought it.