Thread: Supercharging a 2003 Z4 2.5i

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Supercharging a 2003 Z4 2.5i

I am thinking of supercharging my 2003 Z4 2.5i I love my car but would love a few more horses under the hood (who doesn't). Just wondering what some of you performance gurus would use. I am new to european engines so need some opinions on brands and supercharger quality. Looking for quality and willing to pay for it however don't need to fork out money just for the name if I can get the same thing cheaper. Tell me what would you do? Did some looking already I didn't recognize a lot of the Names in the Euro performance parts biz.

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i
    ESS is pretty much the best option for forced induction on the Z4

My Cars
    10 E63 AMG, 11 335is
    Active Autowerkes in Miami FL.... extremely cooperative, makes and 100% supports a superior product:
    9940 SW 168 Terr
    Miami, FL 33157
    305 233 9300

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Wow...another thread about getting more HP, has it been a week already?

Try a search, OP, there's quite a few threads out there.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4
    There's no need to bash him just for asking a question.......hes just asking us for our opinions
    I've done some research on ESS and they seem pretty legit, not sure if you want to spend that amount of money though? Instead of spending 6 grand on a supercharger kit you could sell your Z4 and and use your "supercharger $$$" to get an 05 M3.....330+HP and a little newer? Sounds pretty awesome to me.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i 6spd
    I would personally go with the ess kit only because of the fact that thats the most common kit I have seen people use. It has gotten great feedback and the numbers it puts out should be enough to satisfy you "pony wants".
    If the selling of the z4 for a newer M3 doesnt fit your needs, then maybe just selling your 2.5 and upgrading to a 3.0 for not that much more money would be a better option. I have seen some killer deals out there for some nice 03-04 3.0's with some very tasty mods or even stock. Then, if you still decide you want more power and you end up going the supercharger route, you will see better response from the car with the larger displacement.
    Just my $.02...

Best of luck with the search.

David

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Not a direct answer to your question, but maybe consider selling your 2.5 and buying an M. That might get you more bang for the buck. It's frequently cheaper to buy a fast car than to buy a slow car and then spend your time and money making it fast.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Wow thanks to everyone for their opinions. This is something I will be looking into further. Yes I realize buying an M series would be the way to go but... I already own a Z4 and I like it besides anyone can buy horsepower but it is much more satisfying to build it in yourself. I have always been a work with what you have type of person too. I appreciate those that took the time to respond except the "try a Search" guy if you don't want to help don't respond or click on the topic if it bothers you so much.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Not sure if this thread is as old as it shows on my screen. Anywho

VF Engineering makes a very good kit for the M54, I have it on my 3 litre.
    Budget for a tune from a tuner as the VF tune is not as good as it could be.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyex View Post
    Wow thanks to everyone for their opinions. This is something I will be looking into further. Yes I realize buying an M series would be the way to go but... I already own a Z4 and I like it besides anyone can buy horsepower but it is much more satisfying to build it in yourself. I have always been a work with what you have type of person too. I appreciate those that took the time to respond except the "try a Search" guy if you don't want to help don't respond or click on the topic if it bothers you so much.
    I actually kinda hope you've been hemming and hawing on this for 6 years.

That said, buy the VF kit. Report back. I wanna see what it's like.

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyex View Post
    I have to ask- did you really come back after 6 YEARS and reply for the first time? You still have your 2.5? If you are serious about this after all this time I would strongly suggest you consider swapping to a 2006-08 3.0si. You will get a larger motor with 255hp and 220 ft/lbs vs your 184hp and 175 ft/lbs. I suspect this would be plenty to satisfy your needs with no upgrades needed. The car would also be at least 3yrs newer so likely have less aging issues than your '03.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    This thread is awesome.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    Wow just sell the car and buy another! I guess no real motorheads out there I just bought a 2003 Z4 with 30,000 mi the car is mint never in rain like the day from the showroom! Not a scratch on this vehicle just needs some balls.