Thread: Security Glass Question?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Security Glass Question?

What's going on everyone? I had a quick question about the security glass feature on some E38's. I am starting to see something like air bubbles inside my drivers side front and rear door glass. Does having this problem make the vehicle less secure?

Can something be done to repair this issue?

If I press on the glass, the seperation seems to go away but eventually returns. Any advice and/or help would be great appreciated...

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    it happens. nothing can be done and it's very expensive to replace. The previous owner of my car had all 4 windows replaced under warranty. I had two windows replaced under good will when simply slamming the door cracked them. One was my door and the other was my then 5yo closing his. My door is now show bubbles again. Simply very poor product and should have been recalled. you might have the insulated glass rather than security/protective glass (which is NOT bullet proof) define less secure? their is a poly film sandwiched in the middle and another on the inside of the glass. It's meant to hold glass shards from flying like when you see a windshield smash.
    I read one post where window tint was applied to the outside of the glass and hid the bubbles very well and the tint was holding up through car washes.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    That is disappointing that nothing can be done. I am pretty sure it is the security/protective glass, it is double paned, if I am correctly saying that?

So as simple as closing the door to hard can make something like this happen? That tint on the outside is different, I may have to try it. I think one door is someting crazy like $800 from the dealer to replace?

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    the security glass and insulated glass are both dual pane. hard to tell them apart.
    my drivers door cracked twice. once I know i slammed it hard from the outside. (argument with female involved), second time was just getting in and closing it. my 5yo cracked his getting in and closing.
    the protective glazing list for $1080 for rear and $1558 for front. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...46&hg=51&fg=05

The true bullet proof stuff runs $6k!
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...22&hg=51&fg=05

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Security glass is like 8 layers thick. Insulated glass is argon filled. Question is, do you have a sunroof?
    Last edited by nah2323; 06-13-2011 at 09:37 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Oh yes, that sounds about right. Those are the close to the prices I was quoted to replace them. I have a sunroof, I know it is not bullet proof. I know it is extremely thick, which prevents it from being shattered. There is a bubble in between the layers that seems to be able to be rubbed out. I just can not justify spending that kind of money to have it happen all over again as soon as the warrenty runs out. Bad design/engineering uh?

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by nah2323 View Post
    Security glass is like 8 layers thick. Insulated glass is argon filled. Question is, do you have a sunroof?

That is not correct. The terminology BMW is very confusing. Protective glass, which is also known as security glass, and insulated glass are both dual pane and about 3/8" thick. There is a huge difference in price however

The bullet proof glass has no name but is listed at $6000 and is about 1 inch thick.

See previous links I posted.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ditto what RI is trying to say....there are multiple types of glass (glazing) and it can get confusing.

The "protective" (aka break-resistant security) & "double insulated" glass look very similar to one another and both have two panes of glass. These 2 options were offered on the regular e38 sedans...which can still have a (glass) moonroof or a (steel) sunroof:

The glass in the the protection & security models... 740iLP/750iLP & 750iLS is different than the glass used in the regular e38 sedans...with the glass in the 750iLS costing much more (about twice as much) than the glass used in the protection models. And these models do NOT come with moon or sunroofs.

The "security" model (750iLS) can withstand attacks like this:

Attack on Sri Lanken Defense Minister's convoy Dec/2006

....and you can walk away looking like this:

Sri Lankan Defense Minister after convoy was attacked Dec/2006
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    That's good info, I will have to ask the dealership which glass is installed so that way I am informed. I know these cars are built solid but damn. This guy only had a few scratches after all of those bullets is quite shocking.

I checked both links out and the bullet proof glass is extremely expensive, I don't think the windows can roll down on those installed.

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    Fronts do, rears don't.

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    Question - Does anyone know whether you can replace security glass with insulated. I have a 1999 740il with delaminating glass. I bought replaceme glass off of eBay that I thought would fit, and it did not. To add insult to my self-imposed injury, my mechanic chipped my original glass putting it back in and now my front passenger window is cracking before my eyes. I would buy new insulated glass at $400, but not the new protective at $1300. I would appreciate Any thoughts...

I also wonder if converting from dual,to single is an easy fix. Unbelievably, BMW Service had no idea.

Thanks,

Mark
    fergmark@gmail.com

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    As long as you got glass for an E38, the security and insulated are identical in appearance and size. I don't see how it didn't fit. I've interchanged them. They are both 8mm thick.
    S352A is the DOUBLE (insulated) GLAZING
    S357A is the PROTECTIVE (break resistant) GLAZING

Yes you can swap in single pane. Some say you need new window regulators, others say you can modify (bend and tweak) the ones you have. You also may need to change out the weather strip moulding along the top of the window channel, and you will have a gap at the top of the door panel. More than one person has done this. Use the search feature here. Tons of info and Q&A

My Cars
    2012 328 - 2013 750 LiX
    many people confuse the 750il insulated Sound Deadning glass with high security glass. the purpose was not for security but to reduce road noise. the differences are here..

ill let u know my results...

Last edited by bandittwo2; 06-02-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by RIboater View Post
    As long as you got glass for an E38, the security and insulated are identical in appearance and size. I don't see how it didn't fit. I've interchanged them. They are both 8mm thick.
    S352A is the DOUBLE (insulated) GLAZING
    S357A is the PROTECTIVE (break resistant) GLAZING

Yes you can swap in single pane. Some say you need new window regulators, others say you can modify (bend and tweak) the ones you have. You also may need to change out the weather strip moulding along the top of the window channel, and you will have a gap at the top of the door panel. More than one person has done this. Use the search feature here. Tons of info and Q&A
    Thank you for your responses. Your comments are helpful. The one suspicion that BMW offered about the glass I purchased was that it may have been from a 740i. I am nervous about punching out another eBay purchase if I am going to encounter a similar situation. As it is, I have a pair of front duals in my garage that are collecting dust. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Markferg View Post
    Thank you for your responses. Your comments are helpful. The one suspicion that BMW offered about the glass I purchased was that it may have been from a 740i. I am nervous about punching out another eBay purchase if I am going to encounter a similar situation. As it is, I have a pair of front duals in my garage that are collecting dust. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
    Would you be willing to sell the front pass side? I'm looking for good dual pane insulated glass for both my pass side doors.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2000 750iLP
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    Would you be willing to sell the front pass side? I'm looking for good dual pane insulated glass for both my pass side doors.
    I have a full set of 4 clear dual pane windows of out a 1996 750il for $1200. I don't want to split up the set unless I get commitments for at least 3 windows.

I also have a right front dual pane with no de-lamination. It does have an aftermarket tint on it that can be removed for $25 or so at your local window tint place. Price is $300 on it.

Yes--I do part out E38's and have a garage full of parts.

My Cars
    p
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonMTB

I have a full set of 4 clear dual pane windows of out a 1996 750il for $1200. I don't want to split up the set unless I get commitments for at least 3 windows.

I also have a right front dual pane with no de-lamination. It does have an aftermarket tint on it that can be removed for $25 or so at your local window tint place. Price is $300 on it.

Yes--I do part out E38's and have a garage full of parts.
    Or you can heat up the tinted window ( works best on a hot sunny day ) then take a black garbage Bag and place over the tint, then the tint should peel off as you are pulling away the black garbage bag.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2000 750iLP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polomotorsports View Post
    Or you can heat up the tinted window ( works best on a hot sunny day ) then take a black garbage Bag and place over the tint, then the tint should peel off as you are pulling away the black garbage bag.
    Thanks! I will try that on my 72 Bavaria with with ugly purple tint on the windows!

My Cars
    p
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonMTB

Thanks! I will try that on my 72 Bavaria with with ugly purple tint on the windows!
    If that doesnt work, spray water over the tint then place bag over and let it dry.. Then peal it. Hope it works for you!