Thread: Car will not start after fuel filter replacement

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Car will not start after fuel filter replacement

So I changed the fuel filter today and now the car will not turn over, it cranks but just will not start up. Any thoughts?
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Is it possible that you put the filter backwards? Most of them look the same so the only way to tell is by the arrow on the body.

My Cars
    325iC
    Did you put the pump fuse back in? I had the same issue but it was just cause it was a new filter. Cranked for 5 seconds, stopped, repeated 5 times and it got right up

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    +1 on backwards. Or you didn't crank it long enough to get the filter filled and the air purged out of the fuel lines.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Its not in backwards, I'll double check though.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    just checked, its not backwards. I'm going to take it off tonight and swap it with the old one.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Was going to suggest filter being backwards, but I see we got that covered ... keep cranking. It will take a couple minutes to get fuel in the line/fill the filter etc.

btw, fuse ... why are people pulling fuses when doing the filter replacement?

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Was going to suggest filter being backwards, but I see we got that covered ... keep cranking. It will take a couple minutes to get fuel in the line/fill the filter etc.

To turn off the fuel pump and burn off the fuel in the line to the engine forward of the filter and not have it take a big dump into your face.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by cabdolla View Post
    take a big dump into your face.
    That's gross man.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post

Thats my thoughts exactly! I pulled a fuse and cranked till it stalled years ago when I changed the filter the first time. This time I read the Bentley manual and it did not mention anything about pulling a fuse and cranking or any variation of that. I just unhooked the old one, put in the new one and thats it. I installed it so the "in" side is towards the rear of the car and the "out" side is towards the front. Also I did not fill the filter wis gas to prime it which leads me to believe there is alot of air in the lines. I just feel like cranking it over and over is not good, but that is assuming you have no air in the line. Thanks guys.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ovation1000 View Post

That's gross man.
    There really was not that much fuel spillage.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

That's gross man.
    There really was not that much fuel spillage

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    Thats my thoughts exactly! I pulled a fuse and cranked till it stalled years ago when I changed the filter the first time. This time I read the Bentley manual and it did not mention anything about pulling a fuse and cranking or any variation of that. I just unhooked the old one, put in the new one and thats it. I installed it so the "in" side is towards the rear of the car and the "out" side is towards the front. Also I did not fill the filter wis gas to prime it which leads me to believe there is alot of air in the lines. I just feel like cranking it over and over is not good, but that is assuming you have no air in the line. Thanks guys.
    Cranking wont hurt anything ... though I do recommend not doing it for more than 30ish seconds at a time ... give the starter a few seconds to cool off and then do it again. I just did mine recently and IIRC, it started on the 3rd try.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Yup. I did the head gasket on my 318 and even though it wasn't a fuel filter It took about three good cranks for it to get fuel to the injectors. then it started every time.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    SOLUTION FOUND!!!! So I took off the metal shroud over the filter and took off the hose coming from the "out" side and gas went spraying everywhere!!!, I looked at the hose b/c I remember something hard on the hose when sliding it on the metal nipple. I shined a flashlight in the hose and saw what looked like a hard obstruction. I broke up the obstruction raming a long screwdriver through as much of the hose as I could. Put it all back together and BAM!!! it turned over after the second try! I guess the obstructions was from years of gas impurities. I appreciate all the input guys. Who knew.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Congrats.I was joking about the dump.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Congrats.I was joking about the dump.

Thanks, it did take a dump on me with the obstruction.

My Cars
    2009 E82 125i M Sport
    I had a similar issue when i changed my fuel filter, but i had to crank it for at least 30 seconds before it managed to turn over. Good thing you found the obstruction though.