Thread: E30 Heater Control Installation

My Cars
    1985 BMW 318i

E30 Heater Control Installation

Recently got my 318i A/C serviced. The BMW dealer filled with R-12 - no leaks were detected and the compressor was working. However, the system would not fully work due to a malfunctioning Heater Control unit Apparently the sliders are interfering with the connection?
    The dealer wanted to charge $590 for part and installation. I declined the service and wanted to do the installation myself. I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual, but I did find a helpful tutorial on the forums which gets me most of the way there.

The tutorial doesn't go into the removal of the piece I'm replacing and I wanted to know if anyone had experience removing this component. I'm hoping once I get the part in the mail and open up the panel that it'll be fairly straight-forward, but I wanted to get some expert advice before I dove in.

Thanks!
    Last edited by brianimal; 06-09-2011 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    1986 325ES STICK
    Are we talking about a heater control valve? You do know that on your 85, if the bottom lever is fully to the left, the compressor shuts off. It re engages once you move that lever about a quarter of the way to the right. My 86 does this and I at first, thought it was a worn out contact. The Bentley manual says its designed this way to keep the evaporator from freezing up.
    It sounds like English, but I cannot understand a damn word you're saying!

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    According to Bentley it's the centre lever:

On 1987 and earlier cars with air conditioning (A/C) , the lever that regulates air flow for the instrument-panel vents also
    electrically controls the AC compressor. To prevent condenser freeze-up and AC system damage, the compressor is
    switched off if the lever is set below a certain point.

As far as changing the slide mechanism, the hardest part was getting 3 very stiff cables hooked on to the levers without damage. I recall them being secured so not a lot of free play. Someone may have a better technique but it was a major PITA when I did it.
    Last edited by Jeffnhiscars; 06-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i
    Did this issue get solved? Sounds similar to my situation