Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Oil Dipstick?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    If you run low on oil, your oil pressure sensor will tell you as well.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    95' M3 93' 325I 55' Chevy Pickup, 65' Mustang
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    With the oil level sensor ... the car can check the oil many more times than you will. The oil level is checked almost drive, versus you checking it every "now-and-then".
    im really sorry for bringing up a thread that has been dead for a year, but I just ran across this whole no-dipstick thing with my boss's 2010 328i and it is plain idiotic. I understand that 90% (or more) of BMW owners do not check their oil.
    That being said, I have no problem with the electronic oil sending units and sensors - HOWEVER why cant an engine have BOTH a electronic system, and a "fail-safe" Dipstick?

there is no logical reason that BOTH systems could not be in place other than they want to take 90% of those home-oil changers out of the loop to get dealers more easy work - and the cost savings deleted dipstick
    1995 Dakar Yellow e36 M3 5 Speed Coupe

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus924

im really sorry for bringing up a thread that has been dead for a year, but I just ran across this whole no-dipstick thing with my boss's 2010 328i and it is plain idiotic. I understand that 90% (or more) of BMW owners do not check their oil.
    That being said, I have no problem with the electronic oil sending units and sensors - HOWEVER why cant an engine have BOTH a electronic system, and a "fail-safe" Dipstick?

there is no logical reason that BOTH systems could not be in place other than they want to take 90% of those home-oil changers out of the loop to get dealers more easy work - and the cost savings deleted dipstick
    Better Sealed engine is their reason. BMW is trying to meet very strict emissions standards as best they can and care less about DIYer, not that a missing dipstick will prevent a DIY. Just drain, fill 7 qt and call it a day.
    P. S. I used to check my dipstick on the e36 every few days but do not miss that a bit in the past 5 years.
    Last edited by mryakan; 08-21-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Better Sealed engine is their reason. BMW is trying to meet very strict emissions standards as best they can and care less about DIYer, not that a missing dipstick will prevent a DIY. Just drain, fill 7 qt and call it a day.
    P. S. I used to check my dipstick on the e36 every few days but do not miss that a bit in the past 5 years.
    This is it. When cars are produced and tested for emissions, they actually test stuff like this. Interior materials gassing, leak points (a dip stick, gas cap, etc) and whatnot. It's another emissions related thing. It bothered me at first, but not so much anymore. The computers on these vehicles have enough logic to know when something is wrong, and I doubt they would leave such a critical component like the oil level sensor with a high failure risk. Then even if it does fail, you'll definitely get some sort of check control message.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus924 View Post

This technology has been out since 2007. BMW sells about 220,000 cars a year (2010 stats). So 5x220,000= 1.1 million cars without dipsticks on the road. Assuming the whole world drive's 10,000 miles a year, that means 11 million miles were traveled just last year alone. I don't remember enough from statistics to figure out how many miles in total have been driven, but a lot is the main message here.

I haven't heard of a single failure in the system in all these years and all those cars and all those miles. I have not seen a single thread created, an article written or a recall issued. I think the system has proven itself to be reliable.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    03 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses
    Skeptical as to whether cost in a reason. Is it cheaper to add a metal tube and rod to the side of the engine block, or to put a sensor in the sump and program the necessary electronics? My hunch is that it's a wash, at best.

Thing is, even for the "enthusiast" segment that supposedly checks their oil more often, it's not a foolproof process. I've heard several stories of guys checking their oil immediately after shutting the car off, when the warm oil was still up in the galleries, thinking it was low, and overfilling it. And dipsticks can be difficult to read, especially when the oil in fresh and clean. So the argument could be made that the sensor eliminates the guesswork for the enthusiast, too.
    Think about it. If they save 1 cent per vehicle and they sell 1000000 vehicles, thats a 1000000 savings! Cars are built by accountants. Not engineers.

I think i said that wrong. I ment to say $1
    Last edited by Saucy069; 08-21-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucy069

Think about it. If they save 1 cent per vehicle and they sell 1000000 vehicles, thats a 1000000 savings! Cars are built by accountants. Not engineers.

I think i said that wrong. I ment to say $1
    The sensor probably costs many times more than a dipstick. If cost savings was the driver, they'd have left the stick and not put in a sensor to begin with. Not to mention the millions in R&D on developing that tech. But gotta love subscribers to the Conspiracy Times.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    not to bust any ones bubble, but before i left BMW in 08 i had probably replaced a 100 or more of those sensors. they had all kinds of issues. EVEN BMW had several SIB's out about them. had a brand new E60 M5 have a bad one right off the truck.

NOW MB has always had dipstick tubes. some of the older models had no dipstick but had the tube. They also had the electronic check. the new cars have both, dipstick tubes with dipsticks and electronic readout in the cluster.

I have been with MB for 14 mths or so now and have yet to replace a level sensor. Dont think anyone in the shop has replaced a level sensor. believe it or not BMW and MB may both be german, but they are totally different.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2009 128i
    I think it's a resource-saving strategy. Let's assume SB is right that there are 1.1 million dipstick-less cars out there. Let's also assume that those people would check their oil once per month, and I figure each check would cost about 3 drops of oil. That's over three million drops of oil being saved each month because there are no dipsticks. (except for dipsticks like me!)

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucy069 View Post
    Cars are built by accountants. Not engineers.
    They're still built by engineers, they're just approved by accountants - you think an accountant is gonna get their hands dirty?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    TBD
    I miss the days of hand-cranking my car or kick starting my bike...

progress... whether you like it or not.

My Cars
    You want a dipstick, buy a diesel. They still have them ... for now. End of story
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus924 View Post

BMW pays for oil changes under warranty anyway, so I don't see why it would matter.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post

Came in to say this ^^^ .

And then, "I can't believe that they wouldn't just leave the HOLE for the hand crank so in case that newfangled electric starting machanism thingee fails, you can just put the good ole hand-crank in there and get your car started. But NOOOOOOOO ... now you gotta get a whole new starter and you're stuck by the side of the road. What? Really? No one here has replaced a starter in a decade? Really? Hmph.... maybe we don't need no stinkin hand-crank".
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2009 128i
    My 1961 MGA had a hand crank as well as the hole through the front bumper. At one point, the starter's armature developed a flat spot, and I had to use that crank for a few weeks while I saved up the money for a new starter. I was happy to have it!

My Cars
    323iC & Z3
    Okay, reviving an old thread. Again.
    I just changed the oil/filter in my (new to me)(first non dip stick BMW) '08 X5 3.0. Drained all the oil (it was warmed)(two beers worth of waiting for the drain - LOL). Looked like close to 7 quarts came out.
    Plug back in . New filter installed. Put in 5 and a half quarts to see if the "oil level" display would indicate it wasn't quite full. It didn't. All green . . . oil level was reported full. BS !
    I let it sit twenty minutes and tried again. Same results. Maybe I'm a little OCD about the oil level, you know, not letting it go a quart down, etc. Now I don't trust the darn thing.
    Do I put another quart and a half in and call it good or will I be overfilling the thing and causing all sorts of horrors to the engine? I've worked in an industry that totally depended on accurate level sensors.
    Ones that can can be accurate to fractions of an inch. Seems to me BMW cheaped out a bit here. (Either that or oil level isn't that important in the overall scheme of things. End of sarcasm.)
    Last edited by JoeBimmmer; 10-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier!

'99 323iC auto . . . . . . . . . . . . . '99 Z3 2.3 auto
    '02 530i SP manual (sold). . . . . '99 R1200C manual of course (sold)
    '08 X5 3.0si auto (sold) . . . . . . . '98 528i manual (sold)
    '94 318iC manual (sold) . . . . . . .'00 Z-3 manual (sold)
    '00 323Ci manual (given to daughter- she traded it for an '08 328 'vert)
    BMWCCA # 168243

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBimmmer View Post
    I just changed the oil/filter in my (new to me)(first non dip stick BMW) '08 X5 3.0. Drained all the oil (it was warmed)(two beers worth of waiting for the drain - LOL). Looked like close to 7 quarts came out.
    Plug back in . New filter installed. Put in 5 and a half quarts to see if the "oil level" display would indicate it wasn't quite full. It didn't. All green . . . oil level was reported full. BS !
    I let it sit twenty minutes and tried again. Same results. Maybe I'm a little OCD about the oil level, you know, not letting it go a quart down, etc. Now I don't trust the darn thing.
    Do I put another quart and a half in and call it good or will I be overfilling the thing and causing all sorts of horrors to the engine? I've worked in an industry that totally depended on accurate level sensors.
    Ones that can can be accurate to fractions of an inch. Seems to me BMW cheaped out a bit here. (Either that or oil level isn't that important in the overall scheme of things. End of sarcasm.)
    Well, did 7 qts come out or do you think 7 qts came out? Put in the required amount, drive car around, measure, move on with life. The sensors are extremely accurate so I wouldn't worry about it.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Mine tells me when I need to add 1 liter... it also tells me when I've over filled. :
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBimmmer View Post
    did you start it to fill the filter, your pan might be full at 5 qts, because the filter is empty.All my s50 3 liter motors held 7 qts.!?,

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Dis u check to see the actual capacity?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post

Not quite the same.

Starter gives out? You're late to wherever you were going and out 200 dollars.

Engine runs low on oil because some sensor malfunctioned and failed to inform you? A month without a car and 5000 dollars.

Not putting a dipstick on an engine is not progress, it's a deliberate attempt to make money.

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Engine runs low on oil because some sensor malfunctioned and failed to inform you? A month without a car and 5000 dollars.

Not putting a dipstick on an engine is not progress, it's a deliberate attempt to make money.
    The system is redundant, if one sensor fails another picks it up ... and then lets not forget about the oil pressure sensor to prevent catastrophic failure. One could argue these systems help prevent engine failure. Next time you have a chance, ask your friends/neighbors how often they check their oil. I bet you it is less often than once per drive...

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    The system is redundant, if one sensor fails another picks it up ... and then lets not forget about the oil pressure sensor to prevent catastrophic failure. One could argue these systems help prevent engine failure. Next time you have a chance, ask your friends/neighbors how often they check their oil. I bet you it is less often than once per drive...
    I wish people would be honest with themselves and admit they never check their oil or tire pressures. I can count on my fingers how many people I know that do it regularly.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    I checked mine once a week on my previous car but that had a known leak. On a car that dosen't drip or smoke once every 2 months is probably more than adequate. With the electronic system I check every couple days because I can do it whenever I remember. As far as oil changes and more business for the dealer goes by the time I buy the oil and filter from either ECS or the dealer I might save $15 to do it myself.

For the extra $15 I am happy to check out what's new on the lot and have a cup of coffee while they do the oil change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast