Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E30 S50 turbo.. help needed

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup

E30 S50 turbo.. help needed

Im gonna start this thread here to separate it from my build thread.

So, Ive been drag racing for 5 or 6 years. Mainly with std cars. E36 M3, 03 S2000, Stage 2 and 3 audis S4. But this is the first time I find a car so uncontrollable...it has a 3.73 lsd diff. . The track where I race could be the worst prepped track ever. Its intended for rally cars. Its sort of a mix of asphalt and little stones LOL.
    So I went to the 1/8 track yesterday and Ive never spinned the tires so badly. Even launching from second gear didnt cut the spinning, What I am basically looking is suggestions to improve traction at the track. Ive been reading about hardening the rear suspension and such. Im using now 225 50 16 inch street tires on an 8" rim. First step will be buying a set of M/T drag radials. I was thinking 255/50 16. And then start the suspension upgrades I can make.

some vids from yesterday

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OceDZVkSBCU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04j14GRNr3w[/ame]

thanks !

Mauricio

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    about to pull the trigger on the M/T .... any suggestions?

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    little stones+M/T=waste of money

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    I guy Im racing cut his time by half a second using full slicks... I want drag radials. So I dont know if it would be better or worse. Ill try and get a picture of the track.

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Heres the best i could find... its not the the stones are laying around... but its not even. you can see the little stones in there.

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Heres the best i could find... its not the the stones are laying around... but its not even. you can see the little stones in there.

My Cars
    89 Supra Turbo, 2003 M3
    It's an E30? Sick car, it sounds nice and crispy.

The car is so light and you have S50 power. It sounds like you are Full throttling the car and waiting for the tires to catch up. Is that because you're using a piggyback like a SAFC? If you invested in a Haltech or some Engine Management system you would have more freedom to part throttle and feather the gas to spear your rubber and keep your car more manageable. Sorry if this is redundant.

Definitely get some nice Prostars with Radials. Something wider than what you have. Not sure about offset for this car but I'm sure you can find something that will work. Even if you have to work with the 8" should be able to stretch something on there wider than 225.

Edited to add: Can you get an In-cabin Manual boost controller? With the MBC you can turn up your boost as you are going down the track. Increase the boost as you get traction, without having to look at the controller.

I just noticed you are out of my country and realized that me saying "oh, just go get a Haltech" might have come off ignorant. I know that some things are not available everywhere. Sorry.
    Last edited by honeydew; 06-09-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike87 View Post
    by the way, you're attitude is retarded. stay in the kitchen.
    2003 E46 ///M3
    1989 MA71 //Supra Turbo Targa

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Hey Honeydew. Its an E30 with an S50 engine a PT 6262 .82 and with TRM tuning. Currently running with a 7psi spring. I dont think I can go lower than that. The fact is, that its very light in the rear. And maybe my tire selection was crap. I was launching around 3k to 3.5k rpms. Thats why Im about to buy some 255 50 16 MT drag radials and hope it all gets better.

My Cars
    89 Supra Turbo, 2003 M3
    For sure it'll make a big difference. With that power don't drop your clutch. Launch quieter or else you'll start throwing drive shafts. + with Radials. Are you using a stock ECU then?
    2003 E46 ///M3

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Yes.. stock ecu. TRM chip, maf and 60# injectors.

My Cars
    89 Supra Turbo, 2003 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by maurim3 View Post
    Yes.. stock ecu. TRM chip, maf and 60# injectors.
    Wow. that's pretty cool it's a plug and play set up. What are #60's in CC's? Sorry I'm not familiar with the branding. Or did you mean 600's?
    2003 E46 ///M3

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    So, Ive been drag racing for 5 or 6 years. Mainly with std cars. E36 M3, 03 S2000, Stage 2 and 3 audis S4. But this is the first time I find a car so uncontrollable...it has a 3.73 lsd diff. . The track where I race could be the worst prepped track ever. Its intended for rally cars. Its sort of a mix of asphalt and little stones LOL.
    So I went to the 1/8 track yesterday and Ive never spinned the tires so badly. Even launching from second gear didnt cut the spinning, What I am basically looking is suggestions to improve traction at the track. Ive been reading about hardening the rear suspension and such. Im using now 225 50 16 inch street tires on an 8" rim. First step will be buying a set of M/T drag radials. I was thinking 255/50 16. And then start the suspension upgrades I can make.
    Mauricio, great to see you out drag racing! With such a poorly prepped track I don't think slicks are a god idea. You simply cannot get a hard launch with such a poorly prepped surface.

Content yourself with the best you can do. Try some drag radials and see if they give you an advantage over low tread life street radials. Make sure your rear end is very tight and all the suspension gear is in top order (or replace it).

Do not launch in second gear. Learn how to launch your car with lots and lots of practice.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by honeydew View Post
    For sure it'll make a big difference. With that power don't drop your clutch. Launch quieter or else you'll start throwing drive shafts. + with Radials.
    I don't agree with any of that.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    Mauricio, great to see you out drag racing! With such a poorly prepped track I don't think slicks are a god idea. You simply cannot get a hard launch with such a poorly prepped surface.

Content yourself with the best you can do. Try some drag radials and see if they give you an advantage over low tread life street radials. Make sure your rear end is very tight and all the suspension gear is in top order (or replace it).

Do not launch in second gear. Learn how to launch your car with lots and lots of practice.

Hey Kenny , THanks... ive been drag racing for years. Its my favorite "sport" lol. As ive read I need to harden my rear suspension so the tires can hit to ground better. Should I then look for tighter rear springs? I will try MT drag radials for the next race and see if it improves. But you just cant compete with awd subarus here. My goal for this year is hit 8.0 secs in this track.

My Cars
    85 318i
    I'm running 700lb coil over springs in the back from TC Kline. It really helps keep more tire surface on the pavement.
    For tire size go with the largest you can fit, the DR will deff give more grip. I run 235/60/15 and they just fit.
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    I had the same problem with traction. Slicks took care of the problem..

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Quote Originally Posted by good & tight View Post
    I'm running 700lb coil over springs in the back from TC Kline. It really helps keep more tire surface on the pavement.
    For tire size go with the largest you can fit, the DR will deff give more grip. I run 235/60/15 and they just fit.
    are they this ones?

http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs.../Details80.cfm

Im buying the 255 50 16 MT drag radials.. Ill MAKE them fit if I have to.

Once I can play with rear camber.. what should it be?

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Quote Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
    I had the same problem with traction. Slicks took care of the problem..
    thanks !

My Cars
    85 318i
    are they this ones?

Yes those are the one's. You might have better luck with a 15" wheel to use a bigger sidewall.

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Thanks Otis.. but hows the ride with 700lb coils? isnt it waay to bumpy in the rear?

My Cars
    85 318i
    Thanks Otis.. but hows the ride with 700lb coils? isnt it waay to bumpy in the rear?
    Not at all, but I run 60 series tires so the sidewall is big plus tires are aired down to 10psi.
    Running a low profile DR will deff give you a bumpy ride though i'm sure.

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    I meant on the street.. this is, or was supposed to be a car I could use anyday on the street. lol

My Cars
    85 318i
    I meant on the street.. this is, or was supposed to be a car I could use anyday on the street. lol
    I run on the street like that
    But shorter sidewall = bumpier ride, it's really a trade off though if you dont stiffen the back the car squats too hard and cambers out the tires and contact patch goes down to like 3".

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    are they this ones?

You need to get a friend to video your car on the hit. You want your rear to have ZERO camber on the hit. So you want very stiff springs indeed on the rear (I think mine are 2200#) to limit squat. You'll be running positive camber at standstill. Looks goofy but it works.

My Cars
    turbo E30, 335i, M coup
    Quote Originally Posted by good & tight View Post
    Not at all, but I run 60 series tires so the sidewall is big plus tires are aired down to 10psi.
    Running a low profile DR will deff give you a bumpy ride though i'm sure.
    Otis, What tires exactly ? drag radials? what size

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast