Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E39 Short Shifter Kit using E60 545i shifter

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K

E39 Short Shifter Kit using E60 545i shifter

DIY: E39 Short Shifter Kit using E60 545i shifter

This DIY applies to all E39 models with manual transmission. You can always replace your loose shifter with another stock shifter but personally I like the Short Shifter from E60 545i better. Thanks to Mark and Jared at EAC Europarts.

Get this kit (E60 545i Short Shifter) from "EAC Europarts" for $76.
    It is worth every penny!

http://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/465

Use diagram below for reference. Basically this kit includes (The # refers to the items in the 1st picture):
    #1...One 25-11-7-546-373.....545i Short Shifter
    #3...One 25-11-1-220-600.....Shifter Cup
    #6...Two 25-11-7-571-899.....Clips: you only need 1 circlip.

In retrospect, I should have bought the Rubber Boot (PN 25111434181) beforehand.
    It was broken at 115K miles. Get this at dealer for $20 or so.
    But no big deal, you can always install this later.

NOTE:

- This Shifter DIY has been written before in different forums, you can always search for more info. But I will show you the easy way.

- After 100K miles, the stock shifter is loose, mostly from the worn plastic bushing at the very bottom of the shifter that gives you the "vague" feeling.
    After the new shifter is installed, it was a night-and-day difference!

- If the driveshaft ad muffler are removed for other jobs, take the opportunity to replace the Shifter because the job is much easier.
    However, you can definitely do this even with driveshaft and muffler in place. Just read on.

TOOLS:
    - 10-mm socket
    - Long Flat Blade Screw Driver, at least 17 inches long!
    - Telescopic magnet in case you drop the circlip (I did!). If you ever drop the circlip, don't panic, get back into the cabin and it will be likely on the shield. Just use the magnet to suck it out.
    - 2x4 piece of wood about 4" long.
    - Wheel-bearing Grease
    - Flashlight
    - Rubber gloves

PROCEDURE:

- Get some Cardboard to lay on.

- This is how I did it: Jack the FRONT of the car, then lower it on wood ramps as shown. NOTE: that most driveway inclines outward, so I place my wood ramps in such a way that if the car rolls, it is stopped by the "Wood Stopper" on the wood ramps. The E39 is notorious for bad Parking Brake at this age, so if your Parking Brake is bad and if you are not careful, the car WILL roll while you are underneath = Serious injury or even death!
    - Also, remember you are working on the shifter so you cannot use the gearbox to stop the car! The ONLY thing that stops the car is the Parking Brake and the "Wood Stopper" if you do it my way…...but there is an alternative:
    - Alternative: Jack Stands + place tire under the car.
    - Whatever you do, SAFETY FIRST!

- Alright, enough talking, let's get to work.

1. Lift Shift Knob upward.
    2. Remove leatherette boot
    3. Loosen the 10-mm bolt and remove the metal sleeve.
    (Using a Sharpie pen, mark the existing setup of the metal sleeve to duplicate its position during re-installation).

4. Lift up the small carpet and remove it.
    5. Remove the Rubber Boot. Dig in with your fingernail and it will come out. Mine was cracked (torn), I should have bought a new rubber boot but no big deal, you can always install the rubber boot later when you have it.

6. Now: shift to 5th gear, this will put pressure on the driver side, freeing up pressure on the circlip (which itself is on the passenger side) for you to remove.
    - Look at the new circlip and it is very easy to understand how it works. Now, get under the car with flashlight, you will see the old circlip: wear rubber glove on (L) hand to rotate the circlip so the open end faces you. Then with (R) hand holding the long screw driver: push the circlip out. The reason for rubber glove on (L) hand is to protect your hand in case the screw driver slips.

7. Now examine the NEW plastic cup, you will see two (2) tabs that hold it in place. Now you need to use a small screw driver and slowly pry the old plastic cup out. Be patient.
    I use a combination of screw driver and pick to pull the old plastic cup.

8. Installation is simply the reverse of the steps above. NOTE the following points:

- The LOWER end of the shifter faces rearward a bit, very much like when you bend your knee. See the 1st picture. Insert a bit of grease inside the Shifter Bushing (at the Lower end).

- The circlip only fits one way, the flat side of the circlip faces the shifter. Use same technique with rubber gloves. Remember the screw driver now pushes the smooth side of the circlip to push it in. Here is the trick, gently wedge the small piece of 2x4 wood on the driver side so it pushes the "Selector Rod" (#4 first diagram above) against the shifter. This pushes the end out so you can easily install the circlip.

- You can grease the Shifter Ball first or at the end; up to you.

- The Stock Shifter has 2 plastic washers; when measured the Stock Shifter + these washers = 19.7mm total.
    The 545i Short Shifter uses NO washers because by itself, it already measures 19.7mm.
    So do NOT use any washers with the E60 545i Shifter!

Now go for test drive and you will love the E60 545i Short Shifter. This is one of the BEST mods you will ever do for your E39!

Get home and drink some Heineken beer LOL.....
    Last edited by cnn; 06-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    I did this awhile back, it is a big improvement. Only thing left is to get a shorter knob but I'm cheap and don't want to spend the kind of money the good ones cost....

My Cars
    02 540i/6
    Excellent write up, as usual!
    I did this a short while ago and dropped my circlip in the heat shield as well. I had to fish around with my fingers to get it out.
    That rubber boot can be such a pain!

Thank you for another detailed and picture loaded DIY. I've followed a few of your others, and they're quite helpful.
    2002 540i | 6 speed | (892) Titanium Gray | BC Coilovers |E60 SSK - ZHP Knob | CDV Delete | M5 RSB | Muffler Delete - 2.75" Turndown | Dice Duo | Spec Dock | Running log -> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1713303

My Cars
    3 Black V8s
    I recently did this and it really is night and day difference.
    I also droped the clip into the neat shield. Good thing two came with shifter.

My Cars
    97- 540
    Thanks cnn. Great write-up.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    One caveat: installing this shift lever on the Getrag 6 speed requires a change of lube to the Royal Purple stuff.

I run MTL, and this shifter proved far too annoying to shift, esp when cold. I opted for the E39 M5 shifter, a good compromise between the stock one and the E60 shifter.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    15 328xi
    Love my 545i shifter. Throws shorter and sits lower. A bit notchy when cold but smooth once it warms up. I use BG trans fluid.

My Cars
    BMW
    I'm running the E60 SSK in my E34 and it doesn't require RP Synromax but you'd be crazy not to put it in there if you're doing this mod to a 6spd.

I used to run factory fill and switched to RP and the difference in shift quality is like night and day. Very short throws and very light effort required.
    Last edited by prash; 06-06-2011 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Great write-up!
    Thank you!
    I am planning on doing this on my friend's 323ci...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    01 540i/6 97 328i vert/
    As usaul great write up CNN. On my 2001 when I did this i did not encounter the metal slip ring with the 10mm bolt - am i missing it?

John
    2001 540i/6 - 144k

1997 328 ic - 67k
    hardtop

2008 328i 6spd 88k

2008 328i 84k auto

1998 328i sedan 5 speed - 190k RIP
    1995 325i sedan - Hellrot - 124k RIP

My Cars
    02 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmjr442
    As usaul great write up CNN. On my 2001 when I did this i did not encounter the metal slip ring with the 10mm bolt - am i missing it?

John
    On my '02 I didn't have that either. I also had a different foam padding under the shifter boot: not carpeted
    2002 540i | 6 speed | (892) Titanium Gray | BC Coilovers |E60 SSK - ZHP Knob | CDV Delete | M5 RSB | Muffler Delete - 2.75" Turndown | Dice Duo | Spec Dock | Running log -> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1713303

My Cars
    e39 540i
    I changed to the 545 shifter as well. Much better over stock, but started to feel vague again after it broke in over a few thousand miles. Still better than factory 540 part but not as sharp/definitive as I wanted. Ultimately went with uuc ssk w dssr and it's a definite improvent over the 545.
    Much crisper/surer shifting.
    On a budget the 545 is well worth the price however!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Sweet, Cam.
    Thanks!
    *towed*

My Cars
    1998 540i 6, 2008 335xi
    Very detailed write up, thank you.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    ...Only thing left is to get a shorter knob but I'm cheap and don't want to spend the kind of money the good ones cost....
    Hey pleiades,

What KNOB do you recommend?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Hey pleiades,

ZHP knob FTW! Used to be $60 shipped from Tischer. It's weighted and shorter than stock.
    -Phil

2002 Titanium Silver / Black Sport Interior / Brushed Aluminum Trim ///M Beast

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    I came across this collectible item Y-E-E-E-H-A........
    It is just a decorative item...LOL...
    I wonder if anyone makes the real knob with this Y-E-E-E-H-A!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cnn; 06-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Hey pleiades,

No experience with anything other than stock but it just seems an inch or so long.

Something like this, almost looks stock but shorter
    Last edited by pleiades; 08-04-2012 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Thanks for providing a few good pictures. I'm going to attempt this in a month or so...

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Hey Mark or anyone familiar with this thing.

Parts #3 (plastic cup) and #1 (short shifter) are brand new.
    It is however much better than before this job, but I still feel a slight looseness in the shifter.

I suspect part #7 (Gearshift rod joint) PN 25 11 1 222 688 is loose. Anyone thinks I should replace this part?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 98 528i, E30
    Hey Mark or anyone familiar with this thing.

Parts #3 (plastic cup) and #1 (short shifter) are brand new.
    It is however much better than before this job, but I still feel a slight looseness in the shifter.

I suspect part #7 (Gearshift rod joint) PN 25 11 1 222 688 is loose. Anyone thinks I should replace this part?
    Have you changed # 14? If not, start there. While your at it, fill # 14 bushing with some quality polyurethane sealant....very nice improvemnt! Changing #7 with the trans in the car for most people is next to impossible.

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Been wanting to put in a short shifter on my 01 530i...out of curiosity why the e60 short shifter vs. an aftermarket e39 short shifter?

My Cars
    3 Black V8s
    It's sort of like the point in your relationship when you no longer have to wear a rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Willimeena View Post
    Been wanting to put in a short shifter on my 01 530i...out of curiosity why the e60 short shifter vs. an aftermarket e39 short shifter?

My Cars
    2001 530i
    I like the sound of that.

...however...what are your thoughts on this:

http://www.shortshifter.com/comparo.htm

This is why I asked out of curiosity. I'm not contradicting, just didn't know if anyone had a basis for why one would be better than another. They do mention that a BMW shifter for a different model will still loosen over time and for whatever reason they are anti-plastic.

It does appear to be a bit of propaganda for UUC's EVO3...anyone have experience with this product? Is this kind of like lambskin?
    Last edited by Willimeena; 07-22-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39, E46M
    How do you get the old shifter out? I disconnected the bottom, removed the rubber boot and tugged and tugged, but no dice. It is stuck in the plastic cup.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast