Thread: LSD: Do I Really Want To Do This?

My Cars
    1983 320i

LSD: Do I Really Want To Do This?

I have one sitting on the garage floor and lining up my ducks to send it off to Toyotech to rebuild. My current open diff is leaking and it's time to deal with it...but. I went to Wiki and I now am uncertain about putting it in: "...in over run (sudden throttle release)...an inexperienced driver can easily spin the car (with a 2 way LSD) when expecting the car to settle like it does with a conventional open differential..." While hardly an inexperienced driver I don't think I've ever driven a LSD car. Could this be a steep and dangerous learning curve? I had the impression that in wet or icy conditions that if I lost traction on one wheel that it would help me keep flying in a straight line, whereas now I deal with some fishtailing, the LSD would enhance control, now I fear the opposite would be true. It's one thing to spin it drifting, another on the hiway...whoa Nelle!

My Cars
    2002, 330i, 320is, 528it
    Yes!

My Cars
    97' 328i, 79' 320i
    Were this an FC RX-7, then I might say, you may want to think about it. For an e21, just do it and never look back.
    They may be stupid questions to you, but I still don't know the answer; therefore I ask.

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    With the amount of factory lockup (25%) on these diffs, you really won't notice a trail braking effect as much as a competition 2 way.

You'll be fine, it will increase traction, increase stability, make it more controllable in the wet.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    With the amount of factory lockup (25%) on these diffs, you really won't notice a trail braking effect as much as a competition 2 way.

You'll be fine, it will increase traction, increase stability, make it more controllable in the wet.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    I've extensively driven both open and LSD and I've never even heard of this supposed phenomenon. If you release the gas pedal in a corner on any RWD car (especially e21) bad things are headed your way regardless of diff type.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    throttle lift oversteer is a way of life and should be celebrated. there are few things as much fun as steering a car through a corner with the throttle.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    throttle lift oversteer is a way of life and should be celebrated. there are few things as much fun as steering a car through a corner with the throttle.
    +1

My Cars
    1983 320i
    I think I will go out and start building a crate for it...while making varoom varoom noises.

My Cars
    '83 320is (v8)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsmith View Post
    I think I will go out and start building a crate for it...while making varoom varoom noises.
    Vroom Vroom noises are imperative.

My Cars
    1979 335i
    do what i do if you start to slide... clutch kick, Countersteer, WOT....

My Cars
    (1.5x) 2002
    DO ITTTTT

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    Get er done! It's just sooooo much better to have BOTH wheels pushing you. The E21 has a great way of letting you know that you've pushed it a bit too far in a turn under power: she'll drop down a bit and start moving like you got her excited. You will find yourself pushing a bit more or letting off the gas a bit to see what happens.

It is one of those truly amazing moments when you feel that is perfectly necessary to powerglide while on the on-ramp. That moment when you are looking out the driver's side window to see where you are going...
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    That's funny.
    Hey, if my wife can handle the modded '78 with the lsd in the rain, I think you can too
    We've never driven it in the snow, but that's one of the reasons why the lsd was available, from what I recall.
    Tbd

My Cars
    99 F250, 86 CJ7, 2005 4r
    When I figure out how, I found my new sig quote!

Hit up Bruce (bmac320) for crate dimensions and just P.M. me when you're ready.

He who dies with the most unfinished projects wins

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Thanks Toyotech. Kind of a left handed way of letting you know you have another one to do if you wanted to. I'll contact Bruce and get the dimentions, hoping there is enough room to get a bottle of champagne into it. John

My Cars
    99 F250, 86 CJ7, 2005 4r
    Not a brut if there's a choice!

He who dies with the most unfinished projects wins

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyotech View Post
    When I figure out how, I found my new sig quote!
    The quote of the year, no doubt
    Lsds are good for u-turns in tight spaces, and moving other vehicles too
    Tbd