Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BMW E36 puddle light and inner handle illumination DIY.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Very well.

Did you make them straight at the end or keep the rounded profile (hard to tell from pic).

As it's though to make the hole for it with the rounded bit.

I have a spare set of E38 handles so I might try a v2.0 in the future.

EDIT:

WAIT A MINUTE NOW...

On the 4th picture, do I see some leds/lights on the mirror position switch?

I once took that switch apart to see if I could somehow stick an orange led under the "mushroom" button, so an orange glow would come out from underneath it.

But zero space whatsoever.
    Made them round as original end, do not try to finish with the rounded bit, just come close and do by hand with a micro file (remember I had door panels more than a year out so taking time is important factor).

Funny regarding mirror switch ilumination, so far nobody is asking but I listed it on my first picture post, lol, compliments on your good observation this is one of the very rare if not the only piece done this way, which I'm sure because I did only 1.

MParallel, now when I look again at your inner door handle pictures, think I found out the main detail, you used a WRONG (side) angle of the led strips to iluminate the handle, probably because of the fitment issue.
    I don't blame you because there is very little space in there, almost no space. The trick was how to make that very little space usable and mount them good.
    Last edited by M3C; 02-16-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Made them round as original end, do not try to finish with the rounded bit, just come close and do by hand with a micro file (remember I had door panels more than a year out so taking time is important factor).

Funny regarding mirror switch ilumination, so far nobody is asking but I listed it on my first picture post, lol, compliments on your good observation this is one of the very rare if not the only piece done this way, which I'm sure because I did only 1.

MParallel, now when I look again at your inner door handle pictures, think I found out the main detail, you used a WRONG (side) angle of the led strips to iluminate the handle, probably because of the fitment issue.
    I don't blame you because there is very little space in there, almost no space. The trick was how to make that very little space usable and mount them good.
    "his is one of the very rare if not the only piece done this way"

Done what way? Any close-ups?

What do you mean I used the wrong side? Yes I know I turned mine 90 degrees as I chose to have the part where the let sticks in point upwards, not inwards like yours.
    I tested different positions and for light output, it didn't matter at all. I even testen with a piece of alu foil on top to reflect more light down, but it didn't matter.
    The only thing that is a limiting factor is the width of the slit I made. I couldn't go wide as the side of the plastic is thinner.

Totally flat wasn't possible and the way you did it, I considered that position, but I thought I could never cut the hole that way to allow so.

And I am very impatient...

But there is still enough light put out to light up the handle in the dark.

I'm curious how you mounted the holder for the bulb for the outside handle.

I was surprised to find out the system uses a normal bulb and not a led, which would be much better and you will never have to replace that one as it will outlast the car.
    Shouldn't be too hard to change from bulb to led. Still puts out more than enough light in the fiber optic wire.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

"his is one of the very rare if not the only piece done this way"

Done what way? Any close-ups?
    >>>>>>>Was refering to mirror switch ilumination you mentioned, I don't think there is another one done with ilumination feature.

What do you mean I used the wrong side? Yes I know I turned mine 90 degrees as I chose to have the part where the let sticks in point upwards, not inwards like yours.
    I tested different positions and for light output, it didn't matter at all. I even testen with a piece of alu foil on top to reflect more light down, but it didn't matter.
    The only thing that is a limiting factor is the width of the slit I made. I couldn't go wide as the side of the plastic is thinner.

Totally flat wasn't possible and the way you did it, I considered that position, but I thought I could never cut the hole that way to allow so.
    >>>>>>>>>As you are stating it is turned 90 degrees and you could not go wide as the side of the plastic is thinner. This is what I meant the wrong side.

And I am very impatient...

But there is still enough light put out to light up the handle in the dark.

I'm curious how you mounted the holder for the bulb for the outside handle.

I was surprised to find out the system uses a normal bulb and not a led, which would be much better and you will never have to replace that one as it will outlast the car.
    Shouldn't be too hard to change from bulb to led. Still puts out more than enough light in the fiber optic wire.
    >>>>>>>>There is nu bulb in there, as stated in one of my earlier posts didn't like how BMW made this and wanted something that will fit better so handmaded the led.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    We need to do this:

Parts are simple and cheap. It's a cover which you can see on the door, with a lightstrip underneath that gets lit up by a single amber bulb.

(Black color cover)
    51419139641 - $30 F/L
    51419139642 - $30 F/R
    51439139837 - $26 R/L
    51439139838 - $26 R/R

4x 63319122419 - $10 (bulb thing)

Transparent lightstrips.
    63316958347 - $7
    63316958348 - $7
    63316958349 -$11
    63316958350 - $11

With some imagination, you could put such a strip (shorten it) in different places. Like under the front seats, or maybe even at the rear of the hardtop, above the window.
    Last edited by MParallel; 02-21-2012 at 07:37 PM.

IG:

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

I hope OP (Joylove) will welcome all our replies in this thread as a contribution and sharing ideas to his project and will not feel as we are hijacking his OP.

The possibilities and combinations are endless it is just how much you want to do and knowing when to stop.
    I looked into E9* series door ilumination and personally did not like it, the strips reminded me of those purple neon lights on the outside underbody of some bling-bling flashy cars (not clear yet on how the new F30 series have this detail revised or left the same).
    Maybe it is more cost effective for BMW to do it this way by not having individual door handle light and door pocket light, just one long strip that will iluminate the whole area, even where you don't need it.
    Are there separate door pocket lights on these E9* series? because in that picture it looks like dark into pocket area where it should be light.

I did also take a different approach on the rest of interior ilumination mods and ambiant lights, but will leave it here for now, planing of making a new thread soon with general info about my E36 M3.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    I hope OP (Joylove) will welcome all our replies in this thread as a contribution and sharing ideas to his project and will not feel as we are hijacking his OP.
    Not a problem with me, I'm chipping in here and there and it's nice to see so many ideas and mods and improvements and photos of what's been done all in one thread for future visitors to the site.

The possibilities and combinations are endless it is just how much you want to do and knowing when to stop.
    I looked into E9* series door ilumination and personally did not like it, the strips reminded me of those purple neon lights on the outside underbody of some bling-bling flashy cars (not clear yet on how the new F30 series have this detail revised or left the same).
    Maybe it is more cost effective for BMW to do it this way by not having individual door handle light and door pocket light, just one long strip that will iluminate the whole area, even where you don't need it.
    Are there separate door pocket lights on these E9* series? because in that picture it looks like dark into pocket area where it should be light.

I did also take a different approach on the rest of interior ilumination mods and ambiant lights, but will leave it here for now, planing of making a new thread soon with general info about my E36 M3.
    I have a connector on my harness for an additional illumination circuit, originally for door pockets, but have yet to hook anything up to them. I don't think I ever will because I can't find a position for the light source that I like without ripping the pockets from the door card to access the edge the driver cannot see for drilling into.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    ...Are there separate door pocket lights on these E9* series? because in that picture it looks like dark into pocket area where it should be light...
    Yes there are! The door light strip is additional to the door handle and pocket illuminations.

Looking forward to your topic. I always like new ideas, even for inspiration. The back in my convertible is so dark, apart from the hardtop lights. Been looking to see how I can nicely fit some amber moodlights in there.

The E38 rear lights have some sweet double amber led moodlights on them, but this unit is only available in wood and 3x the size of ours, so can't be used.

Any idea is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    ...I have a connector on my harness for an additional illumination circuit, originally for door pockets, ..
    Must be home brewn as the E36 never had pocket lights.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Must be home brewn as the E36 never had pocket lights.
    Yep I didn't explain that very well, my added-in harness has socketry for door pocket and exterior handle illumination if I ever go there.
    The back in my convertible is so dark, apart from the hardtop lights. Been looking to see how I can nicely fit some amber moodlights in there.

The E38 rear lights have some sweet double amber led moodlights on them, but this unit is only available in wood and 3x the size of ours, so can't be used.

Any idea is welcome.
    Mine too, and I don't have the hard top either.

I was thinking lights either in the rear of the seat back at nipple level, which I din't really like the idea of because the seat back isn't really flat and I don't like the idea of looking directly at a light source;

Or underneath the front seat to light the rear footwells, when the seat is tilted forward to let people in then the light puddle would get bigger;

Or the idea I liked best was some sort of round lens lamp at the top seatbelt mounts pointed at the laps of the rear passengers.
    Last edited by Joylove; 02-22-2012 at 09:02 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Bumping this... I am hopping to achieve this look soon. I have my interior stripped at the moment and its a perfect time to tackle this.

Whats a good place to get the amber led bulbs for the handles?

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Wow... I could have figured that much out... Im asking for more info than that. Im not some newb asking the obvious. If you dont care to help someone out then say so.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Basically asking what vender/ seller you might have bought from for quality and price. I dont know about you but there's not just 1 shade of amber. Id like it to match all the oem lighting in the car if I can

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by KLove83 View Post
    Basically asking what vender/ seller you might have bought from for quality and price. I dont know about you but there's not just 1 shade of amber. Id like it to match all the oem lighting in the car if I can
    Soft orange, 607 nm, from OSRAM or Vishay/Telefunken. Try www.digikey.com in the U.S.: they carry both OSRAM and Vishay LEDs.
    Last edited by johnf; 04-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Awesome that's what I needed thanks guys

Ok went to the website new question.. What size resistors do I need for the lights?
    Last edited by ///Mposter; 04-03-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    It depends on what LED you use and how bright you want it.

My preference is to choose a resistor that produces a current that won't exceed the LED's maximum rating at the maximum expected voltage, say, 24V for a few minutes.

For a 20 ma. max, orange LED that would be something like: (24V - 3V) / 0.02 mA = 1050 ohms. You can likely get away with a lower value resistor (and people do), but I prefer, as cheap insurance, to be more conservative and buy brighter LEDs and run them at derated currents.

At the other end, you may find some LEDs in a batch are brighter than others if you run them at too low a current, their "grouping current". In this example, that might be 1/4 the maximum allowed current or 5 ma. OSRAM shows the grouping current on an LED's datasheet – along with its pulse capability, if you want to go whole hog and sweat all the details.
    Last edited by johnf; 04-03-2012 at 07:51 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    It depends on what LED you use and how bright you want it.

My preference is to choose a resistor that produces a current that won't exceed the LED's maximum rating at the maximum expected voltage, say, 24V for a few minutes.

For a 20 ma. max, orange LED that would be something like: (24V - 3V) / 0.02 mA = 1050 ohms. You can likely get away with a lower value resistor (and people do), but I prefer, as cheap insurance, to be more conservative and buy brighter LEDs and run them at derated currents.

At the other end, you may find some LEDs in a batch are brighter than others if you run them at too low a current, their "grouping current". In this example, that might be 1/4 the maximum allowed current or 5 ma. OSRAM shows the grouping current on an LED's datasheet – along with its pulse capability, if you want to go whole hog and sweat all the details.

I picked these up from the website you provided:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...480-ND/2163743

You guys are crazy light guys. This is fairly new to me. So sorry if they seem like im asking the obvious. My friend will be the one doing most of the work. So Im going to relay the info.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Project starts tomorrow... I bought 50 LED's and plan on using a lot.

I wonder if I should do the nigh time star headliner like the Bentley's... lol JK

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Only if you can make your orange stars twinkle.
    Last edited by johnf; 04-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    This is probably the easiest think I have done on my car. So far I have the mood lights under the mirror, door handles, cup holders, and door pockets. I think I will add 2 under the dash on each side to light the floor and maybe 2 under the seats to light the rear floor. I dont wanna go overboard and defeat the whole purpose of the clean look. I think that is all I am going to do.

Any suggestions?

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

To the OP and others here, for more pictures of my car please see teh link:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1838930

I'm sure you will enjoy, thanks.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is
    I would like to do install LED lights to interior door handles, but it's not clear as to which cables you tapped into for power. Can someone clarify? I'd prefer the lights to turn on with simultaneously with gauges. Thanks in advance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast