Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: my install/DIY (Morel, Jehnert and Arc Audio - many pics)

My Cars
    '11.5 E90 M3

my install/DIY (Morel, Jehnert and Arc Audio - many pics)

Here's my install/DIY. After much research online, I went with the following:

Front: Morel Hybrid Ovation II components
    Rear: Morel Integra Ovation XO coaxial
    Underseat: Jehnert XE 200
    Amp: 2x Arc Audio KS 125.4

Replace these:

With these:

In the boxes:

Wiring:

The Integra Ovation XO coaxials didn't have any insulation on their wiring contacts, so I replaced them with these Molex-like connectors which also aids in easy install/removal:

Crossovers on the rear deck:

Trim back in place:

Although the crossovers would fit in the front doors without me doing this, I scalloped out the Styrofoam so the crossovers would fit more securely:

Like this:

Finished:

Another angle:

I've never thought Dynamat was much use on non-metallic surfaces, but I had so much left over from a previous install I covered a good portion of the door panel. Passenger side:

Driver side:

Starting new post due to picture limit restrictions...
    '11.5 M3 sedan Jerez Black Metallic 6MT M Performance Exhaust no DCT no EDC no NAV no nonsense
    '08 S2000
    '04 Civic Hybrid
    '92 Accord EX sedan ('00 OBD1 H22A4)

My Cars
    '11.5 E90 M3
    The Hybrid Ovation II tweeters:

In order to get the tweeters to fit in the stock sail panel you need to cut off the plastic tabs inside of the tweeter hole, not the upright tabs that hold the tweeter in:

Like this:

Then the Hybrid Ovation II tweeter fits like it was made for this installation, although it takes a good bit of effort to get it in. Be very careful or you might damage the tweeter dome with the tabs that hold the tweeter in.

From the front:

To seal the woofers, I prefer to use this putty-like weatherstrip instead of the stick-on weatherstrip you see at the top of the picture. Weatherstrip on the enclosure:

And the Jehnert woofer:

Finished product next to stock:

Stock amp on stock amp rack:

The Arc amps are so thin I was happy I could use the stock amp rack with another rack I made of 1/2" MDF:

For the bottom amp:

For the top amp:

Both amps:

Finished rack:

Installing rack in car:

Bottom rack installed:

Bottom amp installed:

Both amps installed:

Finished (I reoriented the fuse/distribution block because my original location protruded to far out for the trunk trim panel fit flush against the side of the car):

Pretty much done... even without the fuse/distribution block on top, the amps are just a bit too tall for the standard trunk trim. I've ordered the higher CD changer trim which my dealer says will take a few weeks to arrive from Germany:

My connection to the main fuse/distribution block:

The sound is breathtaking. I choose the Jehnerts over the Earthquake SWSs because I mostly listen to alternative rock and Ken said the Jehnerts were more musical vs. the Earthquakes which play lower and pound harder. Even so, these Jehnerts play plenty low and hit hard when I play techno. So far I don't think I need a trunk sub. That's about it. Thanks for reading.
    '11.5 M3 sedan Jerez Black Metallic 6MT M Performance Exhaust no DCT no EDC no NAV no nonsense
    '08 S2000
    '04 Civic Hybrid

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    Please tell me you're not Benny Z's brother. One is more than enough on this forum.
    Mutual Admiration Society
    Founding member

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by rogan View Post
    Please tell me you're not Benny Z's brother. One is more than enough on this forum.
    rofl

But seriously, Very nice install. I'd love to hear a more detailed opinion of the KS minis.
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    If only the blood line had stopped there.

How come you moved the distro, did it foul the trim?
    Founding member

My Cars
    '11.5 E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OUSHark View Post
    rofl

But seriously, Very nice install. I'd love to hear a more detailed opinion of the KS minis.
    Thanks. I haven't done too much listening yet, but my initial impression is that they are awesome, powerful amps. The input stage is quite sensitive; my stock "Hi Fi" head unit puts out a strong, flat, balanced, differential signal - I'm not sure how much voltage - but the amp gains are turned all the way down so my S/N ratio is through the roof. The fans spin all the time but I can't hear them in the trunk. I'm sure they'd be audible/annoying in the cabin. They got extremely hot after about 30 minutes at moderate levels in high 90 degree weather - time will tell if I can get a thermal shutdown. Bass is tight, fast and snappy and snares and cymbals hit so hard it'll make you blink, although that certainly has much to do with the speakers as well. I pushed the system to the onset of distortion when I was showing it off to a friend, but I'm not sure if was the head unit or amps clipping. At that point it was louder than anyone should want to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Z View Post
    My dad's David Z. (no lie)
    I am your father.

How come you moved the distro, did it foul the trim?
    Yeah I'm 90% sure the trunk trim won't fit flush against the side of the trunk wall with my original mounting scheme. I also figure with it laid flat I'd be able to change the fuses by removing the plastic panel that goes over the amp location. I still need to wait for the CD changer trunk trim to arrive to see how it all goes.
    '08 S2000
    '04 Civic Hybrid

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    My only other thought was your inline fuse by the battery deosn't appear very secure. Wondering if you could wire-tie it parrallel to that main red factory power and might even shorten up the power cable a bit.

My criticisms aren't hating, I like this install.
    Founding member

My Cars
    '11.5 E90 M3
    My only other thought was your inline fuse by the battery deosn't appear very secure. Wondering if you could wire-tie it parrallel to that main red factory power and might even shorten up the power cable a bit.

My criticisms aren't hating, I like this install.
    Oh, yeah, that's a temporary setup. I've got a 4 gauge AFS fuse holder that'll fit underneath the battery tie-down (and can be zip-tied securely to it, underneath it) but I'm waiting on 2-to-4 gauge adapters in the mail to connect it. Surely 2 gauge cable is totally unnecessary for my setup but I wanted cable that fits properly into the fuse/distro on top the amps.
    Last edited by David Z; 06-05-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    '08 S2000
    '04 Civic Hybrid

My Cars
    turbo m3
    What happened to the pics??
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    2012 BMW X6M
    Wow you have a nice installation here.....