Thread: Different Dinan superchargers?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe

Different Dinan superchargers?

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between these two superchargers. Both are supposedly from Dinan. Is one preferred over the other?

Thanks, Tom

1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    OK, someone mentioned that it looks like one is a powerdyne and one is a vortech. Which one is preferred?
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    So yes search is my friend....it appears the consensus is that Vortech is much more desireable than powerdyne.

Thanks, Tom
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    e36
    Dont know about powerdyno but vortech is popular. There are some m3 in this forum between 300whp to 500whp setups.

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    OK, someone mentioned that it looks like one is a powerdyne and one is a vortech. Which one is preferred?
    That is correct. The one up top is the powerdyne unit and the lower one is a vortech (possibly V2) unit.

I would go with the Vortech unit because they can be rebuild for cheap and tons of people use them. Also with a RMS aftercooler and other supporting mods they can produce around 500rwhp.

My Cars
    SC'd M3, M5, F430
    stay away from the powerdyne blowers they blow the internal belts in them, vortech unit is far superior ...get one and upgrade to an Si or T trim impeller

My Cars
    91 850i 6sp 97 M3 13 M5
    Dinan S3 is right...

Top unit was an early Powerdyne set-up. It was quieter without the need for plumbing the oil lines. It used high speed bearings and a cog style kevlar belt. Below 6lbs the unit performed well, but anything more the belt would shred.

Lower unit was the set-up Dinan changed to which was also mated with their version of the air-to-water intercooler as an option. It was never listed though on the web site.

1st one is cheaper with simple bolt-on mechanics - no longer built, but parts are available...
    2nd one can handle more power - modern, still being built and popular for different tunes...
    1991 E31 850i 6spd - Albrex Supercharger project
    1997 E36 Dinan / Technique Tuning / RMS Stage III
    (just a quick convertible for the beach)
    2013 F10 M5 - Feuerorange

My Cars
    91 850i 6sp 97 M3 13 M5
    Dinan S3 is right...

Top unit was an early Powerdyne set-up. It was quieter without the need for plumbing the oil lines. It used high speed bearings and a cog style kevlar belt. Below 6lbs the unit performed well, but anything more the belt would shred.

Lower unit was the set-up Dinan changed to which was also mated with their version of the air-to-water intercooler as an option. It was never listed though on the web site.

1st one is cheaper with simple bolt-on mechanics - no longer built, but parts are available...
    2nd one can handle more power - modern, still being built and popular for different tunes...
    1991 E31 850i 6spd - Albrex Supercharger project
    1997 E36 Dinan / Technique Tuning / RMS Stage III
    (just a quick convertible for the beach)
    2013 F10 M5 - Feuerorange

My Cars
    1994 840ci,2007 328i
    can i use the vortech supercharger kit from an e36 and modify it to work on an e34 or e31 m60?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Assuming there is space and you make custom brackets and get a custom tune. Finding the supercharger itself is the easy part. If Dinah or ESS made a system for the E34 or E31 M60, you would have an example to study for your custom fabrication and tuning project. Not sure whether they did -- I don't follow the old cars closely. But probably someone has done a custom Vortech system on those cars if you want to search around. I'd consider putting an S62 into the car instead.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    If you email the tech department at Dinan, they will tell you what parts are still available in terms of mounting brackets and accessories.
    There is almost nothing listed or searchable on the Dinan website, but they still stock or have access to a lot of the old parts. I was able to get a few key parts from them that I needed to swap my Powerdyne BD11 to a Vortech V2.
    And yes, the Powerdyne is a headache. It does the job, but it is not reliable.