Thread: E60 Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Question

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xi

E60 Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Question

I have a 2006 530xi BMW (E60) and I need to get daytime running lights installed. The car is a US model, but I have since moved to Canada where DRLs are required by law (ugh!)

When I went to the BMW dealer in Montreal, they told me to install DRLs correctly they have to replace the cluster, replace the iDrive, and reprogram the computer for metric/Canadian standards to turn the daytime running lights on. The estimated cost was ~4000+ which is ridiculous.

So I decided, since this was an American car, to call a dealer in Vermont which was the closest service center across the border. When I asked them if they could do it, the guy said "oh yeah we can just reprogram that for $45 - all BMWs have DRLs we just have to change the program settings internally".

Now, that would be optimal, if true, but before I drive 2 hours each way to Vermont to get this work done, does that sound right? The service guy I was talking to was saying things like "I'm pretty sure that can be done" but he didn't sound 100% confident and I can't afford to waste 4 hours driving for nothing.

Anyone here know what I would need to do to get daytime running lights to always be on in this car? Is the US mechanic telling me the right thing and I should just go down there?

My Cars
    10 328i cpe,10 GLK350 MB
    it is my understanding that they can do this my moms old 06 525 came with DRL and she didnt like that so she had them cut off at the dealership thru a reprogram, but her 08 535i has the drl angel eyes and she likes those so who knows lol women...anyway point is yes they can be reprogramed i am almost 100% sure...4000 haha wow canada dealerships are the same as US always trying to rip off customer...jk well kinda hope this helps

Correction. The angel eyes are not considered drls, they are parking lights.

My Cars
    2011 X5
    My angel eyes and DRLs were on when I got my car. I thought cars that had them off were ugly (LOL).
    04' 530i SMG Black/Grey w. Nav L7 (RIP)
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

Senator Long: “The only difference I ever found between the Democratic leadership and the Republican leadership is that one of them is skinning you from the ankle up and the other, from the neck down.”

My Cars
    07 550,14 GLK 250,06 Z4M
    I think your car has a DRL option. If it does, don't spend your money on anything nor waste your time on the drive to Vermont. There are many threads about bringing cars form the US, mainly Canadians purchasing cars from the US.
    The requirement is to have the DRL on...that's it!!
    The only time you would consider spending the 4k is to have your warranty valid in Canada. Based on the year of your car, I will assume that your warranty is over.
    The only other requirement is to get a recall clearance letter. Since you moved to Canada, the BMW dealers in the US may be more willing to work with you.
    Actually sometimes Transport Canada doesnt ask for the recall clearance letter (I know that for a fact).

Good luck.

My Cars
    91 735i,92,535i,88 324td

drl diy

Hi
    I live in norway and we have also drl by law.
    My Car e61 525da msport have automatic lights on when dark in the full ccw
    turn on the lightswitch.This is sensed by the "led" in the windscreen same place as the rainsensor is turns on lights when dark eg driving thru a tunnel.
    The diy is simple:Take a litle bit of black tape and put it over the sensor on the wind screen-you have dayligth running lamps.
    Give it a try it can be differences betwen us and europe spec cars.
    A bonus is that the lights go off when you take ignkey out,cant forget the lights on.

Peter

My Cars
    2007 BMW 550is

Drl

Yes. I have personally verified that it is programmable at the dealer. It was part of the delivery options when she picked up her new 525. I had the option changed when they were in doing a software update a year later.

My Cars
    2006 525xi
    What did you end up doing? I'm in the same boat as you.

Thanks

My Cars
    2011 X5
    Paid dealer price
    04' 530i SMG Black/Grey w. Nav L7 (RIP)
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

Senator Long: “The only difference I ever found between the Democratic leadership and the Republican leadership is that one of them is skinning you from the ankle up and the other, from the neck down.”

My Cars
    btw 525i 2005 E60

drl in Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by pha View Post
    Hi
    I live in norway and we have also drl by law.
    My Car e61 525da msport have automatic lights on when dark in the full ccw
    turn on the lightswitch.This is sensed by the "led" in the windscreen same place as the rainsensor is turns on lights when dark eg driving thru a tunnel.
    The diy is simple:Take a litle bit of black tape and put it over the sensor on the wind screen-you have dayligth running lamps.
    Give it a try it can be differences betwen us and europe spec cars.
    A bonus is that the lights go off when you take ignkey out,cant forget the lights on.

Peter

Hej Peter!
    Your DIY using a piece of paper on rain sensor sounds a smart idea indeed. Is it at the same place as rain sensor? I heard it could be done through coding. Do you or does anyone here know how one could do it?

Jiaxin