Thread: Headlight wiring repair

My Cars
    1997 840Ci

Headlight wiring repair

It has been mentioned before but I thought a '97 would not have the problems. How wrong I was.
    This is what I found.

and this

and more

the complete loom toasted

So the shops for a new soldering iron, some wire and after sketching the circuit dismantled the connector.
    This took three days until I discovered the secret release key to allow removal of the pins from the connector. (Thanks Max Lumens)

The centre wheel with the numbers must be turned anti clockwise to release pins.
    The new temporary connector wiring

and the complete new temporary loom until new replacement arrives.

This has been for me a challenging & time consuming repair but very satisfying and might just have saved a fire.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    looks very professional and with the OZ prices for BMW spares I bet you still come up with a fairly good hourly rate
    And besides that, isn't it much more satisfying to have something repaired instead of replaced?
    Last edited by wokke; 05-28-2011 at 05:23 AM.

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    Very neat and professional looking reapir you've done there, well done.

My 97 car has the same problem - crappy falling to bits wiring insulation, high up on my to-do list now that you've reminded me :-)

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Excellent work, that looked professional quality.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Thank you all. Praise indeed from such esteemed 8ers. Just reassembled and works like a charm but found the dampers shot & damper adjustment 4mm out. And so it goes on.

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy81 View Post
    Thank you all. Praise indeed from such esteemed 8ers. Just reassembled and works like a charm but found the dampers shot & damper adjustment 4mm out. And so it goes on.
    Those teenie weenie dampers are very often shot and even when replaced they don't seem to last long. It seems that this is often due to the way they are stored - apparently they should be stored upright so that the seals are always immersed (don't quite see why myself since I thought they were gas filled and a gas under pressure will fill the entire space available).

I replaced both of mine only to find that one of the "new" ones is knackered after only about 500 miles.

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    The funny part is that when I was fabricating the headlight wiring harnesses that I have available now, I opted not to build Euro looms because I heard that they weren't prone to failure like the US ones. Oh well.

The North America harnesses are a simple drop-in replacement. They can also be customized for anyone who is running all high beams (9005/HB3s or HIR9011s), by swapping the bulb connectors to suit. Also, you can order them with new large round 7-pin connectors already attached if your old ones are shot.

For Euro cars, you can use these US-spec wires as a good starting point. They are fully functional for the headlight functions if you switch the US-style bulb terminals for H1-bulb fittings. That consists of common 1/4" spade terminals and round barrel terminals for the grounding lugs on the housings, as pictured. If the separate set of leveler-motor wires are in good shape (and they should be, as they are low-frequency and low-current wires), you can tape them to the new bulb wires and you're good to go. Don't forget to put the rubber grommet on the harness before attaching the wire ends. The big round connector is the same for both markets; the US version only uses 4 wires, Euro has 7.

Contact me by regular email at e31parts@bmw8.us for more info.

How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
    Those teenie weenie dampers are very often shot and even when replaced they don't seem to last long. It seems that this is often due to the way they are stored - apparently they should be stored upright so that the seals are always immersed (don't quite see why myself since I thought they were gas filled and a gas under pressure will fill the entire space available).

I replaced both of mine only to find that one of the "new" ones is knackered after only about 500 miles.
    Well then, you should be pleased to hear that I have new "dampers", aka gas springs, available for a lot less than the usual replacement cost. There's no need to store them vertically, as is sometimes suggested for suspension and belt pulley gas shocks/springs. However, gas springs in general should be installed with the housing on top, so moisture doesn't pool around the seal.

Devoid of decoration, straight from the Worker's Paradise, and shockingly full of Newtons:

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    price info on the dampers? I'd need two sets but stayed away from purchasing the OEM ones due to know "immediate failure" stories.

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    $25 each, same price as a brand new fuel injector 8^) That includes shipping in the US; add $10 for international.

Hmmm, I wonder if the stories about premature failure on the dealer shocks reflect old inventory? I expect so; anything with pressurized nitrogen is going to have a shelf life. Wonder how old the BMW ones are? These were made in March, can't get much fresher than that.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    2 sets ordered via PM

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    2 sets ordered via PM
    Email sent, thx.

My Cars
    Blue 850/92 White 850/91
    1 sets ordered via PM

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Lumens View Post
    Email sent, thx.
    Please resend. haven't gotten it.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Lumens View Post
    Email sent, thx.
    Please resend. Haven't received it.

My Cars
    BMW E31

Where i could find the large 7 pin headlight connector

It has been mentioned before but I thought a '97 would not have the problems. How wrong I was.
    This is what I found.

and this

and more

So the shops for a new soldering iron, some wire and after sketching the circuit dismantled the connector.
    This took three days until I discovered the secret release key to allow removal of the pins from the connector. (Thanks Max Lumens)

The centre wheel with the numbers must be turned anti clockwise to release pins.

This has been for me a challenging & time consuming repair but very satisfying and might just have saved a fire.
    Where i could find the large 7 pin headlight connector, I need these connectors

My Cars
    1994 BMW 850CI

Release Key

This is what I found.

and this

and more

Hi, how did you get the 7 pins from the plug once you moved the release key, i cant seem to get mine out either forward or backward? Please help.

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    I know this is an old old thread - I'm getting my car ready for use again.
    I've found that the headlamp wiring is FUBAR. Does anyone know where I can get hold of a pair of wiring looms?
    Thanks!

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Mr. Thomas ENGL has them on his website.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    92 850, 95 840, E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    Mr. Thomas ENGL has them on his website.

Can can you send me the website
    Hurt

Current project working on the E31 rebuild.
    1992 BMW 850i, 1995 E31 840ci, 2008 E90 M3, 2008 750Li

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    http://www.engl-production.de/scheinw-kabelsatz.html

Thomas is very helpful and will gladly help non-German buyers. Always had good experiences with him. This is only really good for Euro headlights.

For US lights, hit up Max Lumens on this forum. Also a great guy.
    Last edited by toomanyparts; 01-29-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    CSI (euro), Ci
    Reliving the euro headlight dread - and at 60,000km. Easily solved with a new loom from Thomas. Downside is, the loom comes with all connectors in place so my question is, how to get those wires with connectors attached through the grommet hole?

My Cars
    CSI (euro), Ci
    Solved. Silicon spray