Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 Sunroof Delete Panel (Fiberglass)

My Cars
    bmw

Wow!

Just got my fiberglass panel. The workmanship is absolutely beautiful! I won't get to install it for a couple of weeks, but I am truly impressed with how nice this piece is- very smooth, rigid and uniform-not your typical aftermarket stuff. Keep up the good work!

Ken

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I'm also waiting for the e36 coupe CF panel for my 99 M3. I didn't want to have to paint the fiberglass panel.

I'm really looking forward to getting more headroom so I can finally wear a helmet in this car and do some DE & autocross events with the side benefit of less weight on top!

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Thank you,

We will deliver!

Alex
    S2R Tuning.com

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Hi,

For those that have been patiently waiting!

Here is a carbon fiber version of our sunroof delete kit...

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2R Tuning.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Woo-hoo - it's a thing of beauty, and it's mine - all mine

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993

Talking

Yes... LOL

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    Nice chatting with you again Alex!
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    TRM E36 M3, E46 330i
    Looks great! I'll have to get around to ordering one this winter.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Gone,E46 M3 Next?
    I'd like to order a CF E36 panel if they are available.

Please PM me.

Thanks!

My Cars
    Bubbleless
    So the cf panels are made and ready to be sold?

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Hi Guys,

Thank you.

Just had a chance to lay up couple CF roof and we are pretty happy. What I would like to do is this. I will take one order at a time. This way a can make sure everybody is taken cared off. Once we are ready to make your panel I will let you know. I have couple to finish this weekend.

I will keep you guys updated. Hope to have some more pics up tomorrow.

Thank you,
    Alex

My Cars
    E36 M3 Gone,E46 M3 Next?
    Alex,

I'd like to go on the list for a Carbon Fiber panel.

My only reservation is to be "one of the first" and for a later "version" to be better in quality... *crosses fingers*

Please PM once you've built one and it's ready to ship and I'll send you the funds.

Thanks

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Quote Originally Posted by JSA View Post
    Alex,

I'd like to go on the list for a Carbon Fiber panel.

My only reservation is to be "one of the first" and for a later "version" to be better in quality... *crosses fingers*

Please PM once you've built one and it's ready to ship and I'll send you the funds.

Thanks
    Hi,

Totally understand! you don't have to worry, Being first or last for us it does not matter. Even though we are constantly improving, we are not about to send something out that we feel is not up to our standarts. We are after perfection and Name.

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2R Tuning.com

My Cars
    '97 Dakar M3
    Will be ordering a cf version soon as well from you guys. Do the edges extend that far like in the picture? It's nice to have enough length to have a secure fit with washers and whatnot. Keep up the good work!

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Quote Originally Posted by azdakarm3 View Post
    Will be ordering a cf version soon as well from you guys. Do the edges extend that far like in the picture? It's nice to have enough length to have a secure fit with washers and whatnot. Keep up the good work!
    The edges you saw in a picture is exactly what you will be getting. We made sure on the design that there is enough room to mount it easilly to the stock sunroof assembly holes. You can look at the way it is mounted on my car in the earlier posts.

Thank you.
    Alex
    S2Rtuning.com

My Cars
    E36 M3 Gone,E46 M3 Next?
    Fair enough! Thanks for the response.

What is the ETA on a CF panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire1940 View Post
    Hi,

Totally understand! you don't have to worry, Being first or last for us it does not matter. Even though we are constantly improving, we are not about to send something out that we feel is not up to our standarts. We are after perfection and Name.

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2R Tuning.com

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Hi,

This is what happened past weekend, laid up one of the most beautiful roof panels that have zero imperfection in carbon and gel coat that is what I call perfection. But as most of you can see we have 3 darker spots, which is just an appearance when you look at it directly from the top. We kind a made a mistake in thickness of the vacuum valve pads (That is what I call an oops)

We are laying another one up tonight!

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2Rtuning.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Hi,

Update:

Carbon Fiber Panels are now available. This past week we managed to send out 2 CF panels, one is to Jakermac and one to Memphomaniac...

Also about to send one to JSA on Friday the 30th...

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2Rtuining.com
    Last edited by Spitfire1940; 09-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I got my panel from Alex on Friday afternoon. I started the install on Friday night (in the dark!). The install was very straightforward. The panel was great. I actually weighed it before installing it and got 2 3/4 lbs. Very nice and light. That is what I wanted. However, if I were to do it again, I'd ask for it to be made a bit more rigid. I'd take a 3/4 to 1 lb penalty to have an extra layer or 2 of carbon, or have some foam inserts sandwiched between the layers for a bit more rigidity. I also noticed today in bright light that there are 1 or 2 low areas in the lay up. It's not a big deal because it's a race car, but I could see others being unhappy about the fact that the panel is not absolutely perfect.

Alex has stated that he plans on re-doing the mold to address those low spots.

I had another unrelated issue. My car is a 93, and the clearcoat is starting to get bad. I removed the OEM sunroof on Friday night, but was not going to be installing the CF panel till Saturday morning. I taped a garbage bag over the opening in the roof of the car with that green 3M house painters masking tape. It's supposed to have a pretty gentle adhesive. Well it was not gentle enough. I ended up pulling a 6" strip about 1/2" wide and another 18" strip about 1 1/2" wide of clearcoat off the roof. All this to say that if you're car is a little older like mine and you can avoid putting any tape on the roof, do so. I'd suggest not taking the chance.

To make a long story short, the panel is great and I am quite happy with it. So far it doesn't leak (both washing the car, and some rain) and the install was easy and straightforward. It was nice to not have to mess about with shimming the panel to sit at the proper height.

I'll take some pics later on once the rain stops for a decent amount of time. I have still not re-installed the headliner as I wanted to be absolutely sure there are no leaks. I may even wait it out for a non-sunroof headliner.

Oh, and for the record, my complete sunroof assembly with all the bolts, the front drain tubes (couldn't easily pull out the rear drain tubes), the panel to roof seal, etc... weighed 36 lbs exactly. So I realised a 32+ lbs savings by doing this conversion.
    Last edited by jakermac; 10-03-2011 at 03:30 PM.

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Thanks Jakermac,

What an awesome review.

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2Rtuning.com

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Got mine in the next day Alex. The fiberglass version is definitely superior in the rigidity department, glad I stuck with it.

Painted it SEM trim black, and used windshield silicone

One thing to note. Your method of marking the holes isn't the best. What's easier and more accurate is to put masking tape on the flat mating side of the delete panel. Fit the panel in and push up into the areas where the screw holes are in the body of the car. They leave a mark and a perfect dead on hole to drill.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 10-10-2011 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Hi Braymond141,

Thanks for the picture, looks beautiful!
    Great suggestion, I did not even think of using masking tape on the top surface of the lip and pressing against the hole. I like that! Some ways are better than other, just depends on the person…

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2RTuning.com

Hi Guys,

Update!

Just to let everyone know that I am in process of remolding e36 carbon mold. I am looking to have that complete next week 17 to 21st.
    That will take care of the two low spots. Also we are going to add 1 or two layers of material to stiffen up the center of the panel per customer suggestions.

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2Rtuning.com
    Last edited by Spitfire1940; 10-11-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    Hi,

Update:

*E36 2 and 4 door drill jigs are complete. From now on all panels will come
    predrilled.
    *Also we are now offering hardware kit for $20.00 includes: Rivets, 1" fender washers and rubber washers.
    *New E36 Carbon Mold should be ready for action Tuesday or Wednesday of nex week.

Thank you!

My Cars
    E36 BMW 1993
    10/19/11 Update:

New E36 mold is complete! Had a pleasure of pulling it out this morning at 6:00am. Looks very nice a straight, just needs to be final sanded and polished and will be ready for action by Friday.

E30 Mold is coming up next. I would think we should have it ready for next week. Prep and molding.

Thank you,
    Alex
    S2Rtuning.com

My Cars
    99 Estoril M3, 03 525it
    Hit mr back via email when I can purchase that CF one!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast