530i Sport

Progman bricked CAS on E60

Hi.

After updating of the software versions on my E60
    (Progman 32 installed on IBM T30, interface - OPPS),
    the CAS is bricked.
    As result - there's no ignition etc...

I was trying to reflash CAS with WinKFP
    , but with no luck - got "ECU does not answer" message...
    (in comfort and expert modes - the same result).

So, the questions is:

Is it possible to restore bricked CAS module somehow else?
    Or to buy used CAS module and use it on my E60?

Otherwise I have to buy the new CAS module via dealers - it's
    less preferable way - to wait for a month or more =(

cheers

PS sorry for my English

My Cars
    2007 MINI Cooper S
    Did you get an error after finishing the programming?

My Cars
    530i Sport
    Progman just hanged up and said nothing after this.

Errors from WinKFP are the following:

Error 209: UIF can not be read

COAPI error entries:

Code Level Text
    7015 PABD ECU adresses are set - no answer from ECU an gateway (IFH-009), no OPPS/Most 10FLASH,AIF_LESEN:IFH-009: No response from controlunit
    7015 Error ECU adresses are set - no answer from ECU an gateway (IFH-009), no OPPS/Most SG_AIF_LESEN

My Cars
    2007 MINI Cooper S
    Try Tool32 to see if you can communicate with the unit in the first place. You need to load the appropriate ecu module (*.prg) (from EDIABAS\ECU folder). If it cannot read the UIF, maybe you can re-enter the info through Tool32.

My Cars
    530i Sport
    Ok - I'll try it.
    Later will post results.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2006 530d m-sport
    Progman was known for this, some times it would just time out and kill the module, TCU modules are well known for being bricked by progman.

The problem you will face is the CAS module is tied to the key or keyfob (depends on model year), at the dealer replacing the CAS will require replacing the key or fob, I don`t know if you can change the CAS and not the key or fob.

My Cars
    530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs3d2 View Post
    Try Tool32 to see if you can communicate with the unit in the first place. You need to load the appropriate ecu module (*.prg) (from EDIABAS\ECU folder). If it cannot read the UIF, maybe you can re-enter the info through Tool32.

So, I've tried - Tool32 unable to connect to the CAS module too. =(

Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2007 MINI Cooper S
    Am I afraid you are out of luck... You will not be able to reprogram the ECU. There are some vendors who can still possibly fix it, but that would require taking the unit out and sending it over to them.

My Cars
    530i Sport
    I will try to use another (and probably the last) chance - to read a dump from module with XPROG-M, and in case of succes - to load it into the used CAS.

My Cars
    2005 bmw m5

Bricked CAS

Hey, did you have any luck with this? I've done exactly the same thing and some advice would be appreciated.

My Cars
    1999 E39
    Progman hooked me up with a solid and made a mess of my DTC module in wifey's E87 a while back. I tried to reprogram it with tool32, which failed, but stangely I managed to recover it by coding it with NCS expert. Might not work for you, but gotta be worth a go before BMW bend you over.

My Cars
    530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Maste View Post
    Hey, did you have any luck with this? I've done exactly the same thing and some advice would be appreciated.
    Hi.
    Sorry for maybe a late answer - YES, i did it - the CAS module now is alive =)
    In my case the problem was due to incorrect installation of INPA/Ediabas...

As result I couldn't connect to the CAS (and other modules in my E60)...

After correct installation of INPA/Ediabas software I've been successfully reflashed the CAS module with WinKFP tool.
    Last edited by bsp; 06-15-2011 at 05:00 AM.

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Hi.
    Sorry for maybe a late answer - YES, i did it - the CAS module now is alive =)
    In my case the problem was due to incorrect installation of INPA/Ediabas...

As result I couldn't connect to the CAS (and other modules in my E60)...

After correct installation of INPA/Ediabas software I've been successfully reflashed the CAS module with WinKFP tool.
    BSP, how did you determine that your INPA/Ediabas installation was incorrect? What errors did WinKFP give you when trying to program?
    2001 BMW 750iL Black on Black fully loaded
    1997 BMW M3/4/6 - Awaiting turbo
    2001 Audi S4 - VR6 turbo swap in progress
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitherines View Post
    BSP, how did you determine that your INPA/Ediabas installation was incorrect? What errors did WinKFP give you when trying to program?
    In WinKFP I've got a message(s): "IFH-009: No answer from ECU"

Then I decided to check the software (INPA etc...) with another (working) car - and result was the same - (...no answer from ecu...)

The problem was in my ediabas.ini file (incorrect interface OPPS settings, and btw - one thing was strange to me - in INPA I saw ignition and battery states correctly, but it was unable to connect to the car - I lost 2 days for resolving of this...)

So, I made the corrections in .ini file and connected to the WORKING car successfully =)

After this I did it at last - connected to BROKEN E60 and reflashed CAS module.

Regards,

PS sorry for my bad English again.
    Last edited by bsp; 06-19-2011 at 02:56 AM.

My Cars
    2006 530d m-sport
    Whats the procedure for flashing the CAS as i can not flash mine, it`s stops with an error.

Some one says ignition must be off.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BLooD30 View Post
    Whats the procedure for flashing the CAS as i can not flash mine, it`s stops with an error.

Some one says ignition must be off.
    That's correct, the CAS can only be programmed when the ignition is off and the key is out of the slot.

If you were to use ISTA/P or Progman, it would prompt you to do this before programming the CAS (terminal 15 must have 0 voltage) and then prompt you to put the key back in and turn the ignition back on to continue with the other modules.

My Cars
    bmw
    hello

I have broken software in CAS module( E70, 2009/10)
    if I reflash CAS with WINKFP( or update) - is possible synchronize CAS with DME and EGS?

How working synchronization procedure? from CAS to DME and EGS? or is possible read from DME and EGS and write to CAS...?

thank's for fast answer's ...

best regards

My Cars

help needed

Hello,
    i was really lucky to find this post, since i was looking in google and found this post, the story is since 3 days ago i was killed by the CAS ecu which turned my car off after trying to update the Ecus that was requsted from the SSS,

now the problem as its known the CAS has gone, car is no longer working,
    as i got the INBA, and the EDIABAS, and some other hardwares,

the qustion here,

that bsp, could you please explain Step by Step how did you re activate the crashed CAS ?

what did you use ? hardware / software
    beside i was reading that you edited something in the ediabas.ini could you tell please what you edited there??

i will appericate it very very much if you or any one help me out since the CAS here (overseas) cost about 1700 USD,

best regards for all

My Cars
    530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by slaw1971 View Post
    hello

I have broken software in CAS module( E70, 2009/10)
    if I reflash CAS with WINKFP( or update) - is possible synchronize CAS with DME and EGS?
    Hello.

If you just reflash CAS module with WinKFP - there's no need to do anything else - everything should work "as is" (but don't forget to enter VIN before flashing in WinKFP).

In my case all, that have been done - reflashing procedure without synchronization.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by emademad View Post
    that bsp, could you please explain Step by Step how did you re activate the crashed CAS ?
    emademad,
    This procedure assumes, that you have correct and WORKING installation
    of INPA/EDIABAS.

the procedure looks like this:
    (next steps I write from my memory):

- connect the charger to the battery;
    - connect diag head and PC with Ethernet cable;
    - connect diag head (OPPS) to the car;
    - start WinKFP;
    - press "F1" (Comfort Mode)
    - press "Enter ZUSB", then enter the ZUSB number (from label on the CAS module);
    - press "Enter VIN" and enter VIN number;
    - press "Program"
    thats all... (sorry, now I can't check all steps with my car, I'll do it tomorrow - if I forgot any details - I'll edit this post tomorrow)

what did you use ? hardware / software
    beside i was reading that you edited something in the ediabas.ini could you tell please what you edited there??
    Hardware: OPPS diag head, PC with win XP;
    The software was used: INPA/EDIABAS (includes Tool32, NCSExpert, WinKFP...).

In my ediabas.ini I edited [Interface] section (to connect to OPPS diag head via TCP/IP there should be something, like this:
    Interface= REMOTE:OPPS. Anyway - in original ediabas.ini there's a lot of remarked lines, you'll see suitable for you interface settings).

Regards.
    Last edited by bsp; 06-21-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    thanks for you're kind reply,

now i tryed to connect using what you said, but its not working,
    its giving error, connection was intruputed,

what i did is as below,

key is out of the slot,
    than
    PC -> INPA (hardware) than open the software INPA, when i run it logging to CAS
    its giving the error connection is interupted.

2nd way i did is:

PC-> SSS hardware (using eathernet cable) than open the software INPA

its giving IFH-018

the car is 528I 2009

i have few qustion i hope you guys help me out to find the answers,

1- can anybody please tell me what tools i need to read the software and what to do to flash the CAS ?
    2- what i mean is what kind of cabel to read such car?
    3- what hardware / software and tool do i need?
    4- where can i find the step by step or manuals for that?

also i have GT1 / DIS / SSS / INPA .. is it possible to use GT1 (hardware) using INPA (software) ?
    or GT1 (software) using inpa or sss hardware or even use the inpa software on the GT1 multiplixer?

beside how can i know if my inpa version is new or im using an old version? and from where to download the good stable version?

please help me since my hopes is dieing after the test that i made today.
    Last edited by emademad; 06-21-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: editing texts

My Cars
    530i Sport

PC -> INPA (hardware) than open the software INPA, when i run it logging to CAS
    its giving the error connection is interupted.
    Select in INPA your chassis, select "ALL Functional Jobs", select IDENTification (thus try to connect to the whole car, not only to CAS module).

Is anything happens, when you open a door of a car (for example, the interior light goes on, or some llights on the dash?)

2nd way i did is:

PC-> SSS hardware (using eathernet cable) than open the software INPA

its giving IFH-018

Find in google INPA/Ediabas errors description -
    just type string INPA_FAQ.pdf
    (sorry - I'm not sure - is it possible to post here direct links
    or attach files to the posts).

As I told you before - I used as hardware an OPPS diagnostic head to connect to the car.

My Cars
    NO
    Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    In WinKFP I've got a message(s): "IFH-009: No answer from ECU"

Then I decided to check the software (INPA etc...) with another (working) car - and result was the same - (...no answer from ecu...)

The problem was in my ediabas.ini file (incorrect interface OPPS settings, and btw - one thing was strange to me - in INPA I saw ignition and battery states correctly, but it was unable to connect to the car - I lost 2 days for resolving of this...)

So, I made the corrections in .ini file and connected to the WORKING car successfully =)

After this I did it at last - connected to BROKEN E60 and reflashed CAS module.

Regards,

PS sorry for my bad English again.
    how to setting interface ops, please send your ediabas.ini to me, my e-mail: makinen@163.com thank you

My Cars
    e34 e39
    reviving this thread.

my cas module bricked during programming. Now, I have no key access at all.

Perhaps my winkfp is not setup properly (inpa, edibias, everything else works), but how do you reflash the cas module on essentially a dead car?

- press "Enter ZUSB", then enter the ZUSB number (from label on the CAS module);
    In the procedure above, are you reading the zusb number directly from the cas label? if so, which number is it?

thanks

My Cars
    e34 e39
    Hopefully this will help others.

If you brick your CAS module, you can use WinKFP to restore it.

1. make sure you have properly installed WinKFP

2. Make sure INPA can read from your car properly. If you keep getting IFH-0009 (no response from control unit), hit the volume on the radio to sort of wake the ignition up for a few moments. You will then be able to read the car information and also the errors. No need to do anything at this step as far as clearing errors or what not. Just verifying connectivity.

3. In winkfp, you will be restoring the CAS2 module (not CAS3). Again ,you need to be pressing the volume on the radio if you get a no response error.

I did this yesterday and the full details have slipped my memory, but if you have any questions, ask em in the thread.

My Cars
    2000 BMW E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by chamilun View Post
    Hopefully this will help others.

If you brick your CAS module, you can use WinKFP to restore it.

1. make sure you have properly installed WinKFP

2. Make sure INPA can read from your car properly. If you keep getting IFH-0009 (no response from control unit), hit the volume on the radio to sort of wake the ignition up for a few moments. You will then be able to read the car information and also the errors. No need to do anything at this step as far as clearing errors or what not. Just verifying connectivity.

3. In winkfp, you will be restoring the CAS2 module (not CAS3). Again ,you need to be pressing the volume on the radio if you get a no response error.

I did this yesterday and the full details have slipped my memory, but if you have any questions, ask em in the thread.
    Sorry for reviving this old thread...
    This procedure restores or codes the CAS like it was virgin? Can it be used to code an used CAS to another car?
    Has anyone tried? What about reading the 9s12 and changing VIN etc? is there any software (like EWS editor) that can change this values and correct any checksums within the 9s12 file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast