Thread: Single headlight wiring/bulbs

My Cars
    07 335i, 05 X5, 82 320i

Single headlight wiring/bulbs

I've got the single headlight conversion in my car installed, but haven't wired it up yet. Anybody have a wiring diagram (I checked the FAQ and saw the US double headlight wiring, but not the Euro single)?

Also, I'm assuming they just take standard H4 bulbs? Since they also had a the double lens low and high beam version of the H4's in Europe, is there a different bulb for each?

Last edited by Jeff M3; 05-22-2011 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    83 320is,'85 745, 98 528
    The 7" headlights take the standard H4 lamp - you should be able to plug your old hi/lo connector (3 connections) directly on and have it work. The second bulb is a "parking lamp", if you want this working I think it should be wired into your side markers on the parking lamp circuit.

HTH

-Shawn

My Cars
    07 335i, 05 X5, 82 320i
    Thanks!

I sold this car after a very lengthy restoration, but it's just too pretty to remove from my sig.

My Cars
    '82 320i
    I will be doing the same thing shortly so thanks for posting the question & thanks for the answer sully!

BTW Jeff - do you have any photos of what the installation looks like from inside the engine compartment? Did you have to remove the plastic cover behind the lights?

My Cars
    07 335i, 05 X5, 82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by bcalis
    I will be doing the same thing shortly so thanks for posting the question & thanks for the answer sully!

BTW Jeff - do you have any photos of what the installation looks like from inside the engine compartment? Did you have to remove the plastic cover behind the lights?
    I'll post some inside pics tomorrow. The whole job can be done without removing those plastic covers.

I'm thinking back to the install now and remembering that the H/L plug from the original lighting has a plastic bit that prevents it from plugging into the 7" light. The 7" light has 4 spade terminals on the back and the factory US plug has only 3 terminals. I'm assuming the clip needs to be modded to plug into 3 of the 4 spades.

I sold this car after a very lengthy restoration, but it's just too pretty to remove from my sig.

My Cars
    '77 320i
    The H4 bulb is 3 prongs in it. Should be able to plug the bulb straight into the US 3 terminal plug. Then get a set of these Grey rubber covers to seal it.

My Cars
    BMW 320i / VW GTI 1.8T
    looks good!

also if nayone know of a single conversion for sale, please let me know

My Cars
    82rabbit, 93mx5, 88gtx
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan320 View Post
    The H4 bulb is 3 prongs in it. Should be able to plug the bulb straight into the US 3 terminal plug. Then get a set of these Grey rubber covers to seal it.

i installed a set of these on my miata, they're just 3-prong. i used them with an HID kit, and there were no terrible amounts of stray light causing people in front of me to want to die.
    midlifebmw: "E21's always love you, they just let you know who's the boss..."
    Spdermnky: "Yes that is a lot of empty wine bottles...its for science."

My Cars
    e21, e39, e91
    i wired mine up by just modifying the plastic plug, and the lights work, high and low... BUT, low beams come on when the light switch is in the "park" position, and highs come on when switch is pulled all the way out...

highbeam switch on the column does nothing except make the relay engage.

any ideas?

i've found a wire that goes "hot" when i engage the highbeam switch... where should i route it? and, can i just splice into it for the other light?

My Cars
    82 320iS, 97 318i, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sefb222 View Post
    i wired mine up by just modifying the plastic plug, and the lights work, high and low... BUT, low beams come on when the light switch is in the "park" position, and highs come on when switch is pulled all the way out...

highbeam switch on the column does nothing except make the relay engage.

any ideas?

i've found a wire that goes "hot" when i engage the highbeam switch... where should i route it? and, can i just splice into it for the other light?
    That's wired. Did you use the high beam plug or the low beam plug? The regular low beam plug works perfect. For the space where there's no hole you just have to clip it off, then plug it in. It will only fit in 1 way. I used some dikes and it only took a few seconds. Then plug it in and it will work perfectly fine with no issues. No rewiring required. It will also work for the highs too for your single. For the US spec the low beam is a dual HI/LOW beam, and the high is just for highs, so by only plugging in the lows it will work for both. The complete wiring shouldn't take any longer then a minute, and the complete installation including the mechanical work shouldn't take longer then half hour. You dont have to remove the plastic cover either if you already have the headlight out.

If you want to use the smaller bulb too then you have to wire up the bottom prong on the headlight. It would be really easy if your using euro side corner lights, because then you can just splice the US spec plug to the euro spec wiring for the turn signal, then run the unused wire to the headlight. Splice on a femal conector to the end and plug it into the extra prong, and it should work. (Sorry if that didn't make too much sense, I work graveyard shift, and I just got off work. I'm alittle tired so usually I'm not too good at explaining things). I haven't done this yet with mine either, but I plan on doing it soon. Currenly when I drive around with my parking lights on, I dont have any lights on in the front of my car

And if you're really feeling adventurous, you can use the unused high beam socket for something else, like a pair of fogs.

^ Single headlight wired up. Notice the high beam socket is unused. Also the side marker light connector, and only having 2 wires coming out of it instead of 3.

^ US low beam prong with clipped area. (Only modification needed)

Also, Your car looks really good with those single headlights on. Love the green. But it looks like your missing a windshield lol

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    ^^^ exactly how I did it almost 8 years ago.

I'm so hipster.

My Cars
    BMW 320i / VW GTI 1.8T
    ^^ I will also confirm, as this is how I did mine last weekend.
    1980 e21 320i
    2002 VW GTI 1.8T
    1996 Jeep GC 5.2L V8

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    ^^ Exactly how I did it 3 months ago.

I am wiring up the US dual filament side markers to the small park lamp as well.

I'm so mod.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    If you find a keyed 12v and run a spade female onto that bottom terminal... presto! driving lights.

My Cars
    BMW 320i / VW GTI 1.8T
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNeek View Post
    If you find a keyed 12v and run a spade female onto that bottom terminal... presto! driving lights.

to bad one of my driving lights is broken...
    1980 e21 320i
    2002 VW GTI 1.8T
    1996 Jeep GC 5.2L V8

My Cars
    e21, e39, e91
    same procedure for a euro car?

My Cars
    E21, 04 STI, LS6 Sonoma
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNeek View Post
    Touché! That's a great idea.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Quote Originally Posted by sonomaGTLN2 View Post
    Touché! That's a great idea.
    Even a blind squirrel finds his nuts every once in a while.

My Cars
    1982 320i e21
    This is an old thread but i'm searching hard for a single headlamp bezel grille assembly for e21 I believe 1975-1982 will work any advice,leads etc will be much appreciated

My Cars
    No BMWs anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by unique european View Post
    This is an old thread but i'm searching hard for a single headlamp bezel grille assembly for e21 I believe 1975-1982 will work any advice,leads etc will be much appreciated
    Wallothnesch still sells them. A little pricey but if worst comes to worst, it's an option.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karo...ild-51-05.html

My Cars
    BMW E21 330i (M30 swap)
    Bumping up an old thread here. I've been seeing some aftermarket projector headlamps on Aliexpress which are 7". Are those the same size as the stock single headlights that E21s use? They come in different flavours but I think it may look kinda nice. The stock headlamps still illuminate the road great. Actually those are the best I had in any of my cars, but I'm looking to spice things up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1978 318 e21
    elin.alexandrov
    did you end up doing this headlamp upgrade to the projectors?