Thread: 2007 3 Series Rear LED Lights

My Cars
    535xi, 911 C4S, 328xi C

2007 3 Series Rear LED Lights

Three days ago when using the FOB to open my car, i noticed my left rear tail light was not working. At first I thought it was a burned out bulb, but quickly realized that the "strips of light" you see are LED lights built into the lens.

I went to the dealer and they were great, but couldn't figure it out. They said they would check with BMW to see if they would grant me a warranty repair (mine has expired.) To make matters worse after as we removed the rear tail light assembly from the inside of the trunk to look around, my brake light bulb burned out as I drove home.

I replaced the brake light and then realized what the issue was. Two weeks ago I had removed the rear tail light assembly to replace a signal bulb (from inside the trunk - once you take the covers off there's a tab you press down on and pull the assembly out). I guess I hadn't seated it firmly back in place and the lens was not making contact with the assembly. The assembly has a metal contact that provides the power to the LEDs - if its not in just right, LEDs won't get power. When putting the rear light assembly back in place, seat it carefully and firmly until you hear the "click". This takes a little fiddling around and you have to fit it over the tab that sticks out.

You will then know its working because your tail lights will light up every time you use the FOB to open the doors. Given the high price of new tail lights, I thought this was worth knowing.

My Cars
    2011 e90 335i xDrive 6mt
    That is good to know.

Txs

Is it the same for non LED Pre LCI ? My inner rear light doesn't work.

My Cars
    97' 528i, 09' 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by koolbouy View Post
    Is it the same for non LED Pre LCI ? My inner rear light doesn't work.
    He is talking about non-LCI i believe...his car is an 07'