Thread: auto solution ssk???? better than UUC?

My Cars
    '04 Volvo S60R '99 Ford Ranger '06 Chevy Express

auto solution ssk???? better than UUC?

i was talking to a very reputable BMW tech today (Jim Wheeler) and he was telling me how MUCH better the auto solution's ssk is over the UUC or others. he was telling me how the UUC's bolts tend to shred/breeak and the auto solution is made much better! he also mentioned somethig about auto solution dealing/working with UUC (not exactly clear on what he said about this part though)

he told me to check out their website "autosolutions.com" or "autosolution.com" ????, but i entered both of them in and got no luck. just wonderng if anyone here has one, know anything about them, or heard of anything about them? just looking for tips/advice.

i know he isn't just trying to "sell" me the auto solution ssk, b/c he deals with UUC and his wife has one in her car (but that is the one that keeps breaking when she trarks her car and teaches the driving schools.) they both seem to be equal in price or the AS being a little cheaper.

TIA,
    Jayson
    bf.c common-sense club of america member #3

My Cars
    97 M3
    I don't know. I have a RE SSK and many people have this or a UUC and from what I have seen and researched the two best are the UUC and the RE. I don't know of ANYONE'S of either brand that keeps breaking.

Either a faulty installation or an absolute brutish driver would be necessary to "break" the linkage all the time.

Just my opinion from my experience.

Phil
    97 M3 luxo.some mods.

My Cars
    well the lady is known for taking some turns in her E36 M3 at speeds nearing 130-140 at track events... strictly a track vehicle so she does drive very HARD!

but another mechanic at the same shop (one who replace/fixed her UUC ssk) said that he had seen a car with the auto solutions ssk that got hit from behind smasking the tranny, but did nothing to the linkage (where any other ssk "probably") would have broken!

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Looks like it's time to call Jim Wheeler and discuss this with him.

UUC shifters don't break. We use the strongest components, much more durable than the applicaiton requires.

OE shifters break, and other brands have had components "spontaneously disassemble" as we've seen here on Bf.c... but not UUC parts.

I can honestly tell you that there is no more durable, smoother, or better-built shifter than the UUC EVO3. Do a search on "EVO3" and you will see peoples' reviews.

- Rob

My Cars
    maybe Jim and his crew haven't delt with the UUC evo 3 yet?.. but his mechanic said that he has already needed to replace the bolt in the UUC shifter b/c it shreded....

not trying to get Jim in trouble with 1 of his suppliers or anything (he did recommend other products that UUC offered - mentioning they were the best out there i.e. - tme) but insisted on the auto solutions ssk. said feels smooth as "stock" but much shorter, no vibrations, and easier to shift than the others out there!

My Cars
    maybe i shouldn't have mentioned his name? hope i can still show face at his shop again once Rob calls and talks to him! thought i was going to have a good business relationship with the guy.

(one of the only local BMW tuner shops - especially that carries/deals w/ companies i like besides the overpriced Dinan - and i was ready to spend some major $$$ w/ him) hope to doesn't bend me over and stick it to me once Rob talks to him..

please take it easy on him ROB! thanks!

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Originally posted by M_azn_3
    maybe Jim and his crew haven't delt with the UUC evo 3 yet?.. but his mechanic said that he has already needed to replace the bolt in the UUC shifter b/c it shreded....
    Oh, please... there are no structural bolts in the UUC shifter! He might as well have told you the flux capacitor malfunctioned.

not trying to get Jim in trouble with 1 of his suppliers or anything (he did recommend other products that UUC offered - mentioning they were the best out there i.e. - tme) but insisted on the auto solutions ssk. said feels smooth as "stock" but much shorter, no vibrations, and easier to shift than the others out there!
    You can review the comparison chart on the UUC website. Knowing the leverage dimensions of the AS shifter, I can guarantee you close to 20% more effort with the AS shifter.

Again, I will call Jim on Monday and straighten this out.

- Rob

My Cars
    ok, but don't mention me or how you got the info... please!

My Cars
    hey ROB, at least let me know what you tell him and what his replies my be after you talk to him. this way we will be able to straighten things up.

My Cars
    maybe svb or babyM can back me up here? they were both there when he/they were telling me this...

My Cars
    97 M3,08 X5,08 328i
    Go with UUC you won't regret it.

Very enhanced sport shifting, a much more solid feel than stock, but still very easy and smooth shifiting ...and most importantly ... a much shorter throw.

My Cars
    Originally posted by DJ_Vyb
    Go with UUC you won't regret it.

Very enhanced sport shifting, a much more solid feel than stock, but still very easy and smooth shifiting ...and most importantly ... a much shorter throw.
    what i ORIGIANLLY planned on getting until my discussion today. was trying to get a evo2 real *cheap* so i won't have to wait FOREVER to get the backorder evo3. if not i will just have to wait.

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    what i ORIGIANLLY planned on getting until my discussion today. was trying to get a evo2 real *cheap* so i won't have to wait FOREVER to get the backorder evo3. if not i will just have to wait.
    EVO3s are only on backorder because they do not always ship immediately... the demand is so high that we are constantly building and shipping. "Backordered" only means that your order will not ship the same day. In other words, place your order ASAP, we will ship within a couple of days of order date - do not wait until "in stock" is displayed.

We will have some EVO "2.9" upgraded old stock available at a discount in the very near future, but for the E36 M3 I strongly recommend the EVO3. The difference in feel and effort is very noticeable.

- Rob

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    M_azn_3 --go with the UUC Jim works with the company and it sounds like you have some online help here if things go poorly. I think Jim was just talking about various options available. Honestly I was a little like a deer in the headlights after they showed me how the dealer didn't bother to slip the radiator shroud into its notches (among other things). I think I'm going to have a talk with doofus boy in the service department and then take my business down to Jim's shop.

BabyM
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    04 M3 coupe 04 X5 4.4i sport
    Everything MAZN3 has said above is accurate. I was there as well.

What...BabyM your unhappy with the dealership. What a surprise. (I'm being sarcastic.)

My Cars
    '97 M3/328i-'74/'76 02s
    Go with the UUC. I have a kit, I am just waiting for some time and our 0F weather to moderate a bit.

I have an old Metric Mechanic (what eventually became Autosolutions) in my '02, I also had a kit back in '95 with my fathers ex '95 M3 (I don't think UUC was out yet, or perhaps I had not heard of them at that point). I had a MM/Autosolutions kit in my old '87 325is as well.

The Autosolutions/MM kits are nice once they are broken in but they do have a few problems that UUC seems to specifically address.

Maybe they have cured some these issues below by now, perhaps not.

1) Bronze/brass bushings that wear. They get sloppy. Period.
    2) "Break in" period as you wear the bushings in. Stiff as hell as until it breaks in.
    3) Some kits had buzzing at various RPMs. My '02 has this problem. Don't recall as much noise (still some extra vibration) with the e36 or e30 kits.

The '02 kit has a nice short action (though it is sloppy now), my dad's ex '95 kit was notchy and stiff from day one, and never really improved much. The kit on the '87 325is was ok, though the damn shifter knob kept popping off, and the top part of the linkage came apart once.

On all kits, the tight throw was still an improvement over stock though. Fit and finish was ok, though I was not 100% happy with the kit in the '87.

The biggest reason why I went with UUC is that they use cartridge bearings. IMHO, the feel and action of the shifter should be consistent from the first shift. It should not change in 10,20,30,xxx etc. miles

I have always wondered why nobody had come up with cartridge bearings years ago.

-Justin
    Last edited by jgerry2002; 01-10-2004 at 09:22 PM.
    --
    '74 tii
    '76 02
    '97 328i
    '97 m3
    http://www.bmw2002.net

My Cars
    09 GLI TSI 6spd turbo
    http://autosolutions.net

I had a choice of UUC, Rogue and Autosolutions.. after testing each, the throw is shorter on an autosolutions SSK... the Autosolutions SSK feels a whole lot better than a UUC or Rogue.

Ive had my ssk installed since my misshift in '02.

go with autosolutions.
    09 GLI TSI 6spd
    95 M3 (3/94) WRECKED - total loss
    America's Forever President Donald J. Trump.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    so i won't have to wait FOREVER to get the backorder evo3
    You don't have to wait, some folks have Evo3s in stock right now (cough cough).
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    '95 M3 Coupe

Santa Was Good To Us . . .

Santa brought me a UUC EVO3, which went into my '95 M3 with terrific results. It *is* noticeably lower friction. Fit and finish were first-rate. The cartridge bearings are mounted with reinforcing collars - good thing - I had what must have been a UUC EVO-1 (read "minus one") in my 540i/6, and I beat two sets of bearings out of it. ;( My local dealer replaced the bearings once, then Rob sold me an upgrade at a greatly reduced price - my original purchase was about 3 years prior. Pretty darn good customer service. Anywho, very happy with the installation.

That said, Santa brought a SSK for my daughter's '88 Hartge 735i with a 5-speed. Apparently Santa didn't want to pay for another EVO3, so he ordered the short-shifter only from BavAuto. Turns out they drop-shipped a shifter from AutoAuthority. (!) Again, fit and finish was good, but the friction was distinctly higher than the EVO3 - comparison was easy with both of them right there. Yes, bronze bushings, so time will have to tell on that one. They *have* to be better than the stock plastic. It had the desired result in the 7, and is a pleasure to use. I consider it a good value at this point, not the last word.
    Larry F.
    Issaquah, Washington

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    If you're looking for the UUC shifter, order it from bimmer95. He is extremely helpful in answering questions and provides an assload of good info. on his site. I will definitely buy a shifter and TME's from him in the summer (I would now but winter break ends in a week and I don't take my car to school with me, so there's no point of doing anything to it).

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7