Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert auto convertible top to manual operation

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie4747 View Post
    Help me please. 1997 BMW 328 ic, in the process of changing from auto top to manual, bought a Manual Top Handle & Latch Kit*, my problem is when I removed auto overhead upper latches and motor went to open (I disengaged both motors in trunk) and it will only go up 6" or so, what I think is the problem, the c-latch that auto latch rod connected to c-latch (hopefully you can see picture) missed the pin and now they are jammed.
    Here's what the sellers of the kit didn't tell you. To convert a full auto top to manual you need use that they sent you but you also need to cut out some of the full auto linkage in the full auto frame. This is what you just found out. I have converted 2 frames for customers. You will need to use a sawszall or 4inch grinder and cut the offending linkage out of the way. You will also now need to find the parts to convert your tonneau to "full manual" This is a cabling system in the tonneau area and handle that is installed in the drivers side rear speaker cover. If needed, I have all the parts to convert the tonneau to manual.

By default I'm probably very knowledgeable about all the convertible options and functions. PM or text me if you want more information.
    Greg
    Last edited by 66 6; 01-31-2018 at 08:04 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    I also have an e36 very that stops right before it latches on to the windshield. The top motor doesnÂ’t start at all. Could this be the module or is there another issue that IÂ’m unaware of. IÂ’m not sure if itÂ’s the module since the other motors work without a problem.

My Cars
    1995 bmw convertible 318

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by E36Meanie View Post
    I have all the motors for the vert top for sale if you want them. Just message me if interested
    I want to convert my manual top to an automatic top. Do you have all the parts I need. Is there additional wires that I need also?

My Cars
    1995 bmw convertible 318
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Meanie View Post
    I have all the motors for the vert top for sale if you want them. Just message me if interested
    How much?

My Cars
    E36 328i Convertible
    I'm also debating doing this swap or getting my convertible swapped from full auto to semi or full manual. My top was working great 3 weeks ago, then I was removing the backseat and accidentailly pulled the motor release, so I attempted to re-sync/reset the top, and the motors didn't want to cooperate, then I manually opened it for 3 weeks the few times I deemed it worth taking down with a drill, then the hook motor stripped or jammed, no I can't get the top down completely. I'm just to the point I want the simplisity of the manual top that my cousin's 1997 318i had. 66 6 can I message you?

My Cars
    328i

Need help

Hey was trying to get your contact info. I need a price for converting my 328 to full manual. I’m willing to just bring you the car

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    Here's what the sellers of the kit didn't tell you. To convert a full auto top to manual you need use that they sent you but you also need to cut out some of the full auto linkage in the full auto frame. This is what you just found out. I have converted 2 frames for customers. You will need to use a sawszall or 4inch grinder and cut the offending linkage out of the way. You will also now need to find the parts to convert your tonneau to "full manual" This is a cabling system in the tonneau area and handle that is installed in the drivers side rear speaker cover. If needed, I have all the parts to convert the tonneau to manual.

By default I'm probably very knowledgeable about all the convertible options and functions. PM or text me if you want more information.
    Greg
    Hey Greg how do I contact you? Interested in getting my top done. Willing to bring whole car over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12