Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert auto convertible top to manual operation

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i, convertible

Convert auto convertible top to manual operation

My girlfriend's 1996 328I convertible has been a real pain. The motor keeps slipping and there has been lots of service done - it still fails.

Is there any way to convert the auto top to manual operation? Is this even feasible?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    There is a big red lever under the rear seat that pops the motors out and essentially puts the top in manual mode.

My Cars
    2015 M5
    Yes the above mentioned disconnect will put the top into manual mode

However, how do you secure the top to the windshield and how do you secure the boot cover lid?

Just a thought
    Thanks,
    WEC

2015 M5 Competition
    2000 Nissan Frontier
    1966 AC Cobra

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    All e36 verts have an option for manual mode. Check your owners manual or bentley or the vert forum. If it's a semi auto top you disconnect the motors and manually unlatch it at the windshield. The rest takes care of itself as you put the top back. I'm not sure about the procedure for a full auto top.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328iC
    Which motor is slipping, the top or the cover? Have you tried just helping the top along?

My Cars
    94 325i cabrio
    The above method are useful if your top is stuck down.

If you're wanting a manual way to put the top down, the latch will allow you to maneuver it, but the tonneau cover won't be fastened.

My Cars
    2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by helow View Post
    If you're wanting a manual way to put the top down, the latch will allow you to maneuver it, but the tonneau cover won't be fastened.

thank you - this is what I thought - the conclusion is that if you have a fully automatic top; you can not simply use it in the manual mode by simply disconnecting the motors.

In the "down" position - the tonneau cover could be lifted by the air flow; not a good situation.

Putting the top in the "up" position, and fastening the top to the windsheild takes a special operation that I would have to reserch.

Thanks
    Last edited by wec5910; 05-19-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Thanks,
    WEC

2015 M5 Competition
    2000 Nissan Frontier
    1966 AC Cobra

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You should check in the Vert Forum. they know all the answers to this. There is also a host of PDF files to download that are specific to verts.

My Cars
    1994 325ic, 2017 wangler
    Use an electric drill with the correct bit to raise and lower top on the windshield. Once its unlatched, put it in down position. Make sure the teanue cover is all the way down so you can go into your trunk and ONLY put the teanue motor back in place. This will keep the cover locked so you can drive. Ask me how I know lol.
    Cold weather package in Florida ftw.

My Cars
    1999 323IC
    Hello,
    Did you ever find a solution to the 'vert issue? I am faced with the same problem with my 1999 323i. A reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by lcoyote View Post
    Hello,
    Did you ever find a solution to the 'vert issue? I am faced with the same problem with my 1999 323i. A reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Converting from auto to manual has been done many times. Search around in the vert forum.

My Cars
    94 E36 325i Coupe
    I have all the motors for the vert top for sale if you want them. Just message me if interested

My Cars
    1999 bmw 323ic

1999 BMW 323ic Converting to manual top

I am interested in converting my fully automatic top on my 1999 BMW 323IC E36 to manual, can someone help me please?
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Meanie View Post
    I have all the motors for the vert top for sale if you want them. Just message me if interested

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    The problem with the automatic tops is the header bar (where it attaches to the windshield) isn't convertible (ha ha) to manual operation. My top broke last year, and with replacement of the tonneau cover motor, it's back to functioning like it should, of course I have the semi-automatic top, and was able to use in manual mode the end of last year. I left the top motor undone (raising and lowering it manually,) and left the rear left trim piece loose in the trunk so I could latch and unlatch the tonneau cover motor so it would hold the tonneau in place.

I think the true solution is to bite the bullet and replace the motor that needs fixing. My motors lasted over 200k miles with frequent use, so you really shouldn't have to change them more than one time in the lifespan of the car. Part of the price of having a convertible. Plus having a non-functioning or rigged top really kills the value of the car.

My Cars
    97 328ic E36
    Quote Originally Posted by eurokevin View Post
    Use an electric drill with the correct bit to raise and lower top on the windshield. Once its unlatched, put it in down position. Make sure the teanue cover is all the way down so you can go into your trunk and ONLY put the teanue motor back in place. This will keep the cover locked so you can drive. Ask me how I know lol.
    You might have to pull the fuse for the truck lock so you can get into the trunk. Considering the trunk locks when the boot isn't fully down. You can also have some one just push down on it so your trunk will unlock then engage your motor.

My Cars
    97 328ic E36
    Ya. You gotta stop taking that to the dealer.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    There is a big red lever under the rear seat that pops the motors out and essentially puts the top in manual mode.

At least two problems with that solution. How do you hold the storage lid closed when the top is down? And how do you hold the top to the windshield when it is up?

With the Semi Auto top, you have to find the release lever that lives in the door panel of the back seat (Yes, I know there is no door there, but the panel is still a door panel.) There is a panel for the full manual tops that has a door handle with a cable attached to release the tonneau cover, and to lock it closed. The roof is locked to the header by a handle that requires a 1/4 turn to lock or unlock the roof.

The Full Auto top (the one that you have) probably costs more to change than to repair.

CURSES BATMAN! SOMEBODY LEFT THE DOOR TO THE TIME MACHINE OPEN AGAIN AND I GOT IN. I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 05-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, Techno
    OK...here's the definitive...I've done several conversions.

Early cars are semi-automatic, and they have a manual closure at the windshield header. These are much easier to convert. Fully auto tops have no lever at the windshield header, but can still be converted (just requires more work, extra steps).

For semi...
    Remove tonneau and top motors, replace all cabling with OEM cabling from BMW (with shop discount, about $250 buys all brand new parts). This was standard cabling in most 318ic and some later 323ic cars. You will add a manual release for the tonneau in the rear driver "door" card. The cabling has a lock position, vs the spring loaded positioning with no lock on the auto tops. It takes about 2 hours to replace the cabling...and all part numbers can be found on realoem.com

For fully auto...
    there are two ways to do this...the easiest is to find a nice manual (or semi) top assembly in good shape and just replace the whole top (less than 2 hours, good time to get a nicer condition one if yours is already falling apart). Then proceed to conversion as above with "semi".
    If you're stubborn, or have a perfect top, you can replace the header assembly with one from a semi-auto/manual to get the header latch. You'll need to get this from a parts car, you'll need all the parts off the front. It will convert as a simple bolt in, but the plastic cover is NOT going to work with your existing headliner. I'm in the process of doing one of these now, I'm going to "marry" the two header trims together, whcih will take a few hours of custom cut/fitting.

The conversion is a simple process if you have the header latch and in my opinion should be the first solution to any non functioning top as it solves the problem forever. Otherwise, you can spend hundreds...even thousdands over time keeping it working.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323ic
    Quote Originally Posted by pacethis View Post
    OK...here's the definitive...I've done several conversions.

Early cars are semi-automatic, and they have a manual closure at the windshield header. These are much easier to convert. Fully auto tops have no lever at the windshield header, but can still be converted (just requires more work, extra steps).

For semi...
    Remove tonneau and top motors, replace all cabling with OEM cabling from BMW (with shop discount, about $250 buys all brand new parts). This was standard cabling in most 318ic and some later 323ic cars. You will add a manual release for the tonneau in the rear driver "door" card. The cabling has a lock position, vs the spring loaded positioning with no lock on the auto tops. It takes about 2 hours to replace the cabling...and all part numbers can be found on realoem.com

For fully auto...
    there are two ways to do this...the easiest is to find a nice manual (or semi) top assembly in good shape and just replace the whole top (less than 2 hours, good time to get a nicer condition one if yours is already falling apart). Then proceed to conversion as above with "semi".
    If you're stubborn, or have a perfect top, you can replace the header assembly with one from a semi-auto/manual to get the header latch. You'll need to get this from a parts car, you'll need all the parts off the front. It will convert as a simple bolt in, but the plastic cover is NOT going to work with your existing headliner. I'm in the process of doing one of these now, I'm going to "marry" the two header trims together, whcih will take a few hours of custom cut/fitting.

The conversion is a simple process if you have the header latch and in my opinion should be the first solution to any non functioning top as it solves the problem forever. Otherwise, you can spend hundreds...even thousdands over time keeping it working.
    So I can convert my fully-auto 323i into a fully-manual??? No more motor's breaking down, or sensors blowing out, or soft-top freezing half-way? And most importantly, no more endless allen wrench twisting? Please tell me this is true.

My Cars
    1997 328i vert
    It's late, but here is a bit from my personal experience. Had a 99 M3 vert (still an e36 since the e46 didn't have a convertible version that year, the M3 was e36 still) and the hall sensors were shot, couldn't figure it out. All motors worked though. I popped the cover from the back seat behind driver (where the rear speaker is, just pull the whole panel forward) and unhooked the harness from the bottom of the controller. popped the trunk, matched the wire colors from each mother there and from the front motor. Got a 4 gang window switch from an older BMW in the junkyard, wired each motor (after manually powering and checking the function) to a switch, and could manually ELECTRICALLY lower the top. My new ride is a 97 328i and I have a missing front motor/drive set, so I bought a manual latch and if I can't get the microswitches to work properly I'll do the same thing but with only 2 switches, one for top motor and one for the cover motor. It's not hard, and those motors don't seem to screw up that much, it's just the sensor/control method that goes sideways. All I did was tin up the ends of some 14 gauge wire (may have been 12, I disremember) and stick them in the appropriate holes on the wiring harness connector, once it was all working properly I hot glued all the wires in place and taped that mess up and stuck it back inside the hole it came out of. Install the switches in one of the spots where either cup holder or ash tray would go, bingo you have an unfussy electric top. And TOTAL CONTROL. It's good to be the boss.
    Last edited by davedsone; 07-08-2016 at 07:07 PM.

My Cars
    1997 e36 328i/c
    THANK GOD! I also have a 97 328i vert, but the stupid rods that connect the top motor to the latches are shot. Any idea what that specific part is called? I can find the entire assembly on realOEM (part 54348217197) but I need the stupid connecting rods, that's all.

My Cars
    1997 328i 1999 328i
    This is pretty good info, I have the real nice semi auto top off a wrecked BMW now trying to make it work manually, on my 1997 328i. Like most, my automatic top does not work anymore, so with your advice I will try converting to a manual/semi top, just trying to figure out what fully automatic parts to leave out of my configuration, I have both Modules, fully auto and Semi auto, Thinking these both can be left out of CKT all together. and just add the switch for the cover motor. stay tuned

- - - Updated - - -

you can have all my Rods and Modules

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Jimmy01997 - I know this is an old thread, but I'm desperate and need help with my also 97' 328ic convertible top. How did you come along with your conversion? I found a semi manual convertible that I can have all the parts to the car. I would like to convert it all the way to manual if I can and not have to worry about any motors. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy01997 View Post
    This is pretty good info, I have the real nice semi auto top off a wrecked BMW now trying to make it work manually, on my 1997 328i. Like most, my automatic top does not work anymore, so with your advice I will try converting to a manual/semi top, just trying to figure out what fully automatic parts to leave out of my configuration, I have both Modules, fully auto and Semi auto, Thinking these both can be left out of CKT all together. and just add the switch for the cover motor. stay tuned

- - - Updated - - -

you can have all my Rods and Modules

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    Help me please. 1997 BMW 328 ic, in the process of changing from auto top to manual, bought a Manual Top Handle & Latch Kit*, my problem is when I removed auto overhead upper latches and motor went to open (I disengaged both motors in trunk) and it will only go up 6" or so, what I think is the problem, the c-latch that auto latch rod connected to c-latch (hopefully you can see picture) missed the pin and now they are jammed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 M3. 1999 740i Sport
    I have a 1998 M3 that was manual swapped before I bought it. You need a manual header for locking the top to the windshield and the cable system to release the tonneau. Its inexpensive, I need to replace it before the cable popped out of the plastic end bell. The whole deal runs about $30. Then you need the handle to release. Your back door cards are perforated for installing the handle.

On mine the operation is:

1) Roll down windows
    2) Release windshield latch and push back to the first detent.
    3) Get out of the car and raise the rear window portion up while simultaneously reaching in and unlocking the tonneau.
    4) While holding the top up, raise the tonneau cover up.
    5) Release the back of the top and it will drop into the compartment.
    6) Grab the front of the top and pull back and allow it to fold up.
    7) Close tonneau.

Seems like alot of steps but real easy. I think if I replaced my tension strap it would be easier to maneuver but as a large guy, its no problem. Takes about 15 seconds total.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast