Thread: iPhone 4 snap-in cradle: anyone have one?

My Cars
    2010 Lexus HS 250h

iPhone 4 snap-in cradle: anyone have one?

Can anyone, who actually has the snap-in cradle for an iPhone 4 describe what all it lets you do and what you think of it?

My understanding is that it charges the phone and improves reception using the car's antenna.

It also employs the video-out functionality of the iPhone thereby letting you see iPhone screens on your Nav screen. From what I've gathered, the only thing that works seeing the native iPod controls. And also, you can watch iTunes videos (while parked).

I was hoping the cradle would gain you access to more iPhone apps and features. Seems like it doesn't to much at all at this point.

Am I missing anything?

I know this is unrelated to the cradle, but when I ordered the car, I waited for the post March 2011 build so I could get the BMW Apps feature which is turning out to be pretty useless (facebook, twitter and Internet radio) with the app receiving no upgrades since it was first launched.

My Cars
    2011 535i
    I have it. I notice no real useful difference between that and the USB connection to my iPod touch. You can only use one at a time as well. Reception does appear to be better and it does charge. I have not seen any native iphone screens yet on the nav display but I may have just not fiddled with it enough. It is nice. The phone functions are the same as the blutooth. I negotiated it in the price of the car. Not sure it is worth the extra jack. If someone knows more about it that me, please chime in.

just picked up my 11' 535i today and can't seem to pull up Apps despite having purchased the Apps package - any insights ate apreciated!

My Cars
    Alpine White 2008 M5
    This device seems to be fictional in its functionality at best. Mine does not even keep the phone cool. Glad I did not pay for it - per se. (I paid for the iPhone 3GS version and was replaced with the iPhone 4.

Oh well, we've gotten duped on US functionality. I bet it works in Europe though.

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
    2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
    2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li

2010 Alpine White, GT550i

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    Quote Originally Posted by jetaged View Post
    just picked up my 11' 535i today and can't seem to pull up Apps despite having purchased the Apps package - any insights ate apreciated!
    Welcome to the forum. I would go back to the dealer and tell them to make it work.

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad

My Cars
    2010 Lexus HS 250h
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
    This device seems to be fictional in its functionality at best. Mine does not even keep the phone cool. Glad I did not pay for it - per se. (I paid for the iPhone 3GS version and was replaced with the iPhone 4.

Oh well, we've gotten duped on US functionality. I bet it works in Europe though.
    I'm pretty disillusioned, too. I really thought BMW was going to do something really cool and groundbreaking. It's kludgy at best, and intermittently nonfunctional.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 550i
    In addition to Facebook, Twitter and Internet radio... you also have access to your calendar (for you work-a-holics). It can be voice-read as well... but overall the BMW app is not that good. You can video via iPhone, but need DVDInMotion to play the, while driving. I still ant figure out how to get texts or email to display on the screen, even tho I'm supposed to able to see both.