Well,

I'm at a crossroads with my 1992 325i sedan.

I love the car, it is probably the most pristine 1992 E36 in the country.

Here are the details.

1992 E36 325i sedan
Automatic Transmission
83,100 original, documented miles. (That's under 7,000 miles per year)

Car came from the factory with the following options:

Real Leather seating surfaces
Limited Slip Differential
Heated Seats

I have a complete and very comprehensive service history. Every oil change, repair, and even wiper blades were done at bmw dealers. I even have the original window sticker, and copy of the cashiers check used to purchase the car new from Bayside BMW in Queens, NY.

I have added some tasteful, and not over the top upgrades.

17" AC Shnitzer Type III's 235/40/17 Khumo Ecsta Supra 712's all around.
E39 M5 Lip Spoiler
Blacked out grilles
Color Matched Front Bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper
Original ZKW Euro Headlights (H7 Freeforms)
Clear corners (I actually have 3 sets of these, regular clear, smoked, and crystal).

Bavarian Autosport Performance Chip
Custom Cold air intake
Chrome Exhaust Tips
Factory Later e36 center console cup holders

Stereo:

Sony CDX-mp40 CD head unit with MP3 playback
MB Quart RSC 213 Reference Series components in front
Sony XM-444W amplifier for the Quarts
2 Orion XTR Series II 10" Subwoofers in trunk
Kenwood PS150 Amplifier for the subs

System sounds great, not spl but sq biased, although it can get plenty loud.

I've deaded the rear deck and some other areas that posed some rattling.

In the last year and a half the car has had (and this is all documented and done at bmw dealers):

Waterpump / fan / fan clutch / thermostat ( has OEM aluminum tstat housing)
Front Struts
Rear Shocks, and rear shock mounts
Plugs and 2 ignition coils
Front and Rear Rotors and pads

Appearance wise the car is phenomenal. Not a single door ding. It has one tiny about 1.5" scratch under the drivers door mirror.

The leather is absolutely PERFECT. No tears, stains, burns, deep creases or even scratches. It looks better than most bmw's I have seen. Carpets are all 100% clean, stain and burn free.

The car runs and drives 110% as it should, which of course should be expected from a properly maintained bmw of such low mileage.

Now, here is my dillema. I crave more performance. I have considered engine swaps, and forced induction, but it just does not make sense to do to a car this nice. This would be a perfect car for someone who loves the E36 and is content with the M50 drivetrain. Secondly, this is an automatic trans car. While a 5spd swap is certainly doable, once again it doesn't make sense to do to this car.

I figure that if I want M3 level performance, built by BMW not some mechanic reliablilty, and a car that holds its resale value, the only thing that makes sense and is cost effective would be to purchase an E36 M3 rather than go through the motions and destroy an incredible car in the process.

Therefore, what I am considering is selling this car and purchasing an E36 M3. However I do not want to give this car away, as you just don't find cars like these every day.

Pampered, unbelievably low mile cars in perfect condtion, with a documented history do tend to command a premium, but I don't know if it is worth it to part with it at this point.

My question is two fold. Once what do you guys feel is a reasonable asking price for this car, (or what would you pay for it).

Secondly, is it worth selling, or should I just hold onto it, and save up some more and get the E36 M3 as well.

The car needs three things right now to make it perfect.

a) There is a slight oil leak at the valve cover gasket in the front left quadrant of the engine. I have the valve cover gasket, but it's just too cold to do right now. I will replace the gasket once the temperature stablizes above freezing.

b) 11 button OBC has the typical pixels out. I have a good 18 button OBC, and the harnesses to do the conversion, but once again, it will have to wait for the weather to ease.

c) Windshield washer fluid level sensor - sometimes produces false washer fluid low warnings on the OBC. This is a $20 part. This used to happen occasionally (once every couple of weeks) but now is recurring with greater frequency.

Mechanically and asthetically - that's it.

I've attached a couple of pics, but I will be putting a website together with many more

All thoughts and commentary greatly appreciated.

E-mail me if you wish,

george@parts4sale.com