Harrison Motorsports

Thread: Coolant leak in my 2000 528i need help!!!

My Cars
    03 LSB M3 96 ford e350

Coolant leak in my 2000 528i need help!!!

The car is a 2000 528 My sister was driving it the other day and it was leaking coolant and steaming. I checked it out added water and cranked it up and warmed it up then temp needle would go up and it pisses coolant from some area under the intake manifold its in the front side somewhere but I can't seem to see where exactly it's coming from is there some kind of cooling hose down there notorious to leak or so. The car is currently sitting at ksu kennesaw state. I would appreciate any help or advice. Please pm call or text 4045732829 thank you. Also it would be nice if I could get a hand from someone local thanks.

My Cars
    '00 323ci
    i think this thread is for a e36 but as you can see BMW loves coolant lines..search for the e46 diagram to find the exact one you think might be leaking.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1578136
    ///M Theory - Theoretical physics theory that the German's engineered everything, including the ultimate driving experience, within the 11 dimensional multiverse.

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    how many miles?

could be expansion tank

My Cars
    '00 323ci
    expansion tank was my first thought too until he said 'coolant coming out from under intake manifold'
    ///M Theory - Theoretical physics theory that the German's engineered everything, including the ultimate driving experience, within the 11 dimensional multiverse.

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    On my M3 engine, which should be very similar to that engine, there is one line under the intake manifold near the front of the engine. It runs there to the throttle body. That might have split. The part is cheap and should not be too difficult to replace. But if you overheat a BMW, be prepared for something else such as a cracked head. Good thing is that you can drive on those for a while.

My Cars
    '00 323ci
    dano, does it go to a throttle body heater? Land rovers have those, I just blocked mine off. It's kind of dumb to heat the throttle body with Georgia temperatures.

maybe it was part of the cold weather package?
    Last edited by NiteTrain; 05-15-2011 at 02:40 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteTrain View Post
    dano, does it go to a throttle body heater? Land rovers have those, I just blocked mine off. It's kind of dumb to heat the throttle body with Georgia temperatures.

maybe it was part of the cold weather package?
    Yeah, that's the hose, to prevent carb icing. Now this may seem silly, but it isn't the temp that contributes to carb icing, as much as the humidity. And Georgia has some humidity. It could be 90F outside and my old Vdub manifold would ice over (frost on the intake manifold), and it used to run a a pipe with exhaust air pair with the intake runners.

My Cars
    '00 323ci
    dano, that's a good point. I never considered it was used to heat up and dry out humid air. I've ran my rover without it for a few years and it seems fine. If the OP wants to block it off temporarily until he can get the car home or to a shop wouldn't he be ok?

My Cars
    03 LSB M3 96 ford e350
    It has around 155k but it looks like a pita to get to it's way down in there behind the ccv I changed that a week ago or so that was a pita now this looks like more of a pita you really can't see this part from what it looks like

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i

Resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by MalikSaab View Post
    It has around 155k but it looks like a pita to get to it's way down in there behind the ccv I changed that a week ago or so that was a pita now this looks like more of a pita you really can't see this part from what it looks like

Did you ever figure this out??

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    Sounds like a heater hose to me. I've had to replace that first thing on my previous 2 e39s

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    For me it was a leak in my water pump. Apparently there was coolant leaking from the weep hole under the water pump, which is located behind my fan clutch. Got a new water pump in there the old one was rusted and the O ring was literally seal in there. No good. Put the new one in, refilled with needed coolant, bled the system so far so good. No overheating or leaking tomorrow I am replacing spark plugs and coils. 2000 BMW 528i 170K Miles

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    I'd hope so. 6 years without fixing a heater hose leak is a pretty long time.