Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of 1991 M-Technic?

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet

Value of 1991 M-Technic?

Hello, new forum member. Mods, I've read the rules and searched, hopefully this posting is OK, if not please move or close as you see fit.

My mother (yes, a little old lady in her 70's), has a 1991 M-Technic that she has owned since 1994 (she is the 2nd owner, bought it with about 10k on the odo). The car is a silver 5 speed, has the special wheels, handling package, appearance package, (including all the badges, skirts, shift knob, special cloth, etc.).

Mom's finally gotten to the point where it's difficult to get in and out of it and is considering selling, but she has no idea what it's worth. Any help in that regard would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have pictures at the moment, but I will try to be as descriptive as possible.

It has been her daily driver since she has owned it, as such it has the wear and tear you would expect from a daily driven car. It has 130k on the ODO right now, has been maintained/serviced on a regular basis, everything works although she had the power top converted to manual operation after it died about 8 years ago and the repairs were going to be prohibitively expensive. She has had two fender benders, both repaired by BMW dealers. Cloth Interior is faded from driving with the top down, she put some aftermarket seat covers on over them several years ago. It's got the minor nicks, scratches, scrapes, etc. from 130k miles of driving. I believe the car was originally sold by RoadShow BMW near Memphis, she bought it from the original owner in Paris, TN. The car has been in Middle Tennessee since she's owned it, has not seen salt, etc. Overall in solid, good condition. I would guess 7/8 out of 10 for it's mileage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by twisties; 05-16-2011 at 11:03 AM.

My Cars
    90' 24v, 89' 325is
    if you could get actual pictures that would help alot. your description of whats happened to it/how it looks doesnt sound promising.

My Cars
    74' 2002tiiRIP 83' 323i baur 01'325xit
    Could you email me some pictures of the car, I might be interested. Thanks, joshw02@yahoo.com

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    Ifs its a true m-technic car it will be worth a good amount. Check www.e30ic.com for details. Its a rare car and quite desirable regardless of condition. If you were local I'd remove this post and buy it myself. :-)

Good luck.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats | MTech2 wheel | Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003

2000 E39 M5 | Stoptech brakes | Refinished OEM wheels w/10mm spacers | Powerchips Gold 91 | Timmay Tips/muffler delete | Functional brake ducts | DICE MB1500 Slimm diffuser | Cubic black trim w/alcantara boots

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet
    I'll get some pics, but it will be late next week before I have the chance. Unfortunately I don't believe I can post them until I get a certain number of posts on the forum?

joshw02 - I'll email them when I get them, anything in particular you want to see? I don't want to mislead anyone, my mother is trying to determine the value of the car to decide whether or not to sell.

VacMan - Thanks for the link, it was very informative. The car has all of the items listed for the full M-Technic kit, apparently this is one of the 18 SterlingSilber cars with the 5 speed. Does not have the heated seat option.

Two interesting/funny things I remembered last night. At one point she got so tired of having to special order tires (odd size and usually only z-rated available) that she almost put aftermarket wheels on it. Second, and even scarier, she briefly thought about trading it in on the "cash for clunkers" deal a few years ago b/c the value of a normal used E30 convertible was pretty minimal. Talked her out of that though......

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    One of the 18 sterlingsilber 5 speeds only if yours is produced in 4/91. These cars were made from 4/91 upto 7/91 so the data on the site is incomplete. I'd like to see the pics as well...

Reelizmpro<at> yahoo.com

Thanks.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet
    Got the VIN today; it's EC04969, within the ranges listed here. www.e30ic.com

My Cars
    '87 325is & '99 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by twisties View Post
    I'll get some pics, but it will be late next week before I have the chance. Unfortunately I don't believe I can post them until I get a certain number of posts on the forum?

joshw02 - I'll email them when I get them, anything in particular you want to see? I don't want to mislead anyone, my mother is trying to determine the value of the car to decide whether or not to sell.

VacMan - Thanks for the link, it was very informative. The car has all of the items listed for the full M-Technic kit, apparently this is one of the 18 SterlingSilber cars with the 5 speed. Does not have the heated seat option.

Two interesting/funny things I remembered last night. At one point she got so tired of having to special order tires (odd size and usually only z-rated available) that she almost put aftermarket wheels on it. Second, and even scarier, she briefly thought about trading it in on the "cash for clunkers" deal a few years ago b/c the value of a normal used E30 convertible was pretty minimal. Talked her out of that though......
    IIRC, you don't need a min. # of posts for pics... When you are posting, click the button in the right side of the tool bar with the grey mountains/yellow sky, all you have to do is enter the location of the photo and it will post. Can't wait to see it

Pictures would help immensely in determining the value, all I can really say from your description is that A) it sounds like it's never been beaten on, and B) it sounds like it's been at least adequately taken care of (as far as basic maintenance goes).

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    this E30 Mtec convertible is likely to bring in a price at or above the top end of the range
    .. it's hard to put a price on them, especially these relatively unique special models, a full Mtec was an expensive package when new, but how does it increase the value of the 20 year old car today... it is certainly worth something, but how much?
    .. in the market around here (western Canada) it is likely worth at least $6k to $7K
    .. last fall I saw a well maintained and very clean non-Mtec convertible E30 advertised locally for $7500 .. which I thought was high at the time, ... but maybe not now that I know more about these cars
    Last edited by my1stE30; 05-20-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    87 325, 94 Trans Am
    If only God blessed me with as much money as I have spare time...

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    I was searching our kijiji car sales website tonight and found this ... must have just been put up late last night ... a very sharp looking bright red '90 E30 convertible 325i manual trans and nice leather seats ... suggesting that these cars are bringing prime $$$ these days ....

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ283668479

... tempting..... tempting .....
    Last edited by my1stE30; 05-20-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet
    Pics are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...HPg&feat=email

Found out that she's also got all of the service records since it was new. Took a pic of one for installation of floor mats when it had 15 miles on it. Going to take more shots of the interior when she gets a chance to get the seat covers off.

My Cars
    90' 24v, 89' 325is
    battery tray rust not so good. but otherwise .. that thing will bring a pretty penny.

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet
    Yes, when I popped the hood and saw it I knew that wasn't going to help. Other than that one spot the car is solid as a rock.

My Cars
    '87 329iS, '08 Alpina B7
    Wow, good car! Veddy nice high five.

My Cars
    1984 633csi/1995 540i
    great looking car!!!

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Hmmmm... That would be a nice drive from Tennessee to Cali!

Nice vert!

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit
    1998 318ti Cali Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 23
    1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 68 ,

1995 318ti Active - Alpineweib III/Schwartz, squared style 32
    1994 325i - Bostongrau/Tan, Billy Sports, H&R springs
    1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

1995 318ti Sport Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz - Sold
    1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold

1984 533i "Max" - Schwarz/Schwarz, - Sold
    1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    Nice...I always liked sterling silver. Does the power top work?
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet
    everything works although she had the power top converted to manual operation after it died about 8 years ago and the repairs were going to be prohibitively expensive.
    Original post.

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    No big deal really as it's a common problem on all later convertibles. Tire size is 205/55/15 or 225/50/15. Not that odd. Looks like a nice unmolested example. It does need some work though. Any pics of the interior w/o the covers?

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet

Value of 1991 M-Technic?

Apologies in advance for the Necro Post.

Lots has happened since I originally posted. I'll state again, this is not a for sale post.

Car went through a thorough mechanical rehab in 2014, was driven about 300 miles and parked. Got it out of storage today with the help of my son's, went through some fluid and mechanical checks, charged the battery and gave it a few cranks. Fired up on the third try and after a few minutes of rough idling settled down.

Had to reset a few codes because it had been discharged so long, let it idle for 15 minutes, took it for a spin around the block, no issues. Did a walk around/sanity check then drove the 60 mile interstate route home. No issues, just cruised right along.

Reminded me a whole lot of my NA Miata, just guess I like early 90's cars

Cleaned it up, my son who did most of the work getting it ready is in love. Of course I made him give it a bath before he drove it!

Edit: Earlier link is dead, can't figure out how to get a new one to work. Every time I post it, somehow a portion of the link gets converted to "*****". If anyone has any pointers on how to do it I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by twisties; 08-17-2017 at 08:49 AM.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Nice car, I hope the timing belt has a known history, otherwise I would recommend not driving it anymore until it's changed or the motor can be seriously damaged or destroyed.

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Nice car, I hope the timing belt has a known history, otherwise I would recommend not driving it anymore until it's changed or the motor can be seriously damaged or destroyed.
    Timing belt and cooling system were replaced 3 years / 500 miles ago.

My Cars
    1991 M-Technic Cabriolet
    A little better pic after some cleaning!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Imola740i, turbo eclipse
    A little better pic after some cleaning!
    My advice, just hang on to it, not sure if you are sentimental, but why let it go? Car is only going to increase in value and you have kids to pass it on to. Memories are worth more than the undervalued price you will get for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast