Thread: BMW E30 Turbo vs Corvette with a WHAT...

My Cars
    95 M3

BMW E30 Turbo vs Corvette with a WHAT...

So the other day at work/ lunch, I took my car out to do some tuneing and pulls, as I was working out the details of my new methanol system. So I headed down the road to get some heat in her and turn around. Well low and behold a red convertible corvette was behind me by a good 1/8 mile or so, so I made a second gear pull and guess what happens next.

He follows me onto a two lane street that has a gentle upward slope to it and gets up beside me and we both hit it! (I'm kicking myself now for not having my cell phone videoing it....). So we run from like 30 to 90+ mph and we are neck and neck. He finally pulls on me at like 95 mph cause I forget to shift to forth gear. Guess I have never been in a race were I need to shift to fourth, plus when I drag in the 1/8, I cross the line in 3rd gear. (old dog got to learn new tricks)

Anyway we both hit the brakes and so I following him into the same business complex that I work in. Now I am thinking to myself, my car should be a little faster then a stock C5 corvette, they run about a 12.6 second 1/4 I believe. So I am thinking crap, either my new methanol system stinks or that car is modified.

So the guy pulls in right around the corner from where I work and we started talking and comes to find out the vette is supercharged to 8psi w/ procharger. The guy also has a twin turbo vette with a built motor and told me to come by when he drives it to work,, yahhh. Needless to say, it was a fun run and maybe my car is running better then I thought.

All I can say looking at the guy's expression when I tell him my car is a 1.8L turbo, "Priceless". The next week I pulled down my 1/8 mile time to an 8.08 sec @ 91.5 mph.

Lessons I have learned driving my car on the street.
    1. Never leave home without the camera ready to post a video.
    2. Never let anyone pull on me at a stop light, I don't even care if it is a grandma in a pinto.
    3. If there is a remote chance someone wants to race at a light. I leave hard as soon as the light changes. (my first pull with a GTO when I first got my turbo happened like this: the light changed to green and we both sat there. I waited until the guy popped the clutch then I went. The outcome was not good for the bmw family)
    4. A distinguished law enforcement officer will negate #2 and 3 above.

Hoped you guys enjoyed.
    WOT

My Cars
    07-335e92 and 89 cam
    Not bad, but the c5s tend to be low 13second cars.

Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    stock C5 corvette, they run about a 12.6 second 1/4 I believe.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...4b5692b991.pdf

It takes an LS2 to run in the 12s

My Cars
    '09 135i
    very impressive, nice run.
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    1998 540i-6 //Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by 335e92tx

or an ls6..

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    1991 honda prelude si- H22 swap ghetto bolt ons- RIP
    current ride:98 540i/6 dinan sway bars bilstein HD shocks/eibach lowering springs,ASA 18'' rims -278k miles-daily driver

My Cars
    2007 Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post

QFT.

I put down a 13 even stock.

Sounds like a fun run. I'd love to go s/c, the sound is pure seks (on any car IMO).
    2007 C6 437whp
    2011 Camaro SS 411whp (hers)
    1996 BMW 328i - SOLD

My Cars
    95 M3
    My bad about the C5 info. Guess I'm not up on my corvette specs. I've been wanting to take a picture of the vette, but the guy has been out of town or he takes like a two hour lunch. Finally spotted the car so I took a picture of it. Still waiting for him to drive in the turbo car. Later.

WOT

My Cars
    s50'd ti + ti + e30
    c6 w/ a procharger 'eh?

My Cars
    95 M3
    So that is a C6 then? So a stock C6 will run a 12.6 sec 1/4 then, right?
    WOT

My Cars
    Car
    So you pulled a C6 with a Procharger...

With the LS2 they are solid 12 second cars (12.5), and they're even quicker with the LS3.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Na, we were neck and neck up to 90+. After thinking about it, it wasn't a "kill", just a very close pull together.
    WOT

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Let me see if I follow this: the car was a C5 corvette with a Procharger running 8 psi of boost? Your car traps at 91.5 in the 1/8 mile?
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    07-335e92 and 89 cam
    IT does not have the GM emblem infront of the rear tire - so it is a <2006 with an LS2. If its an auto trans (as are most converts), its a 4speed. Probably about .1-.2 slower than a 6speed auto. It should at least run about 12.8-12.9 stock. Maybe 12.7 but not likely with an auto. Now regarding a procharger - it would probably be close to 450-475hp. And that is close to stock z06 power to weight or better than 8lbs per hp to the ground. I guess its possible, but not likely. I don't see how you can have the traction that thing does and I imagine you would have to have the weight close to 2400 if your making 250-260 at the ground (like it appears from your build thread)

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    Let me see if I follow this: the car was a C5 corvette with a Procharger running 8 psi of boost? Your car traps at 91.5 in the 1/8 mile?
    I have the time slip if you would like to see it.

IT does not have the GM emblem infront of the rear tire - so it is a <2006 with an LS2. If its an auto trans (as are most converts), its a 4speed. Probably about .1-.2 slower than a 6speed auto. It should at least run about 12.8-12.9 stock. Maybe 12.7 but not likely with an auto. Now regarding a procharger - it would probably be close to 450-475hp. And that is close to stock z06 power to weight or better than 8lbs per hp to the ground. I guess its possible, but not likely. I don't see how you can have the traction that thing does and I imagine you would have to have the weight close to 2400 if your making 250-260 at the ground (like it appears from your build thread)
    Not sure on the hp # of my car with the new set up. yes my car is close to 2400 with me in it. Traction, I guess I have good weight transfer. I will check to see if the car is a auto or a stick later on...
    WOT

My Cars
    i still pretty impressive if you ask me

My Cars
    GTO, G35, Z3M-gone
    Mmm, I've got 430 on my NA LS2. Cam+ bolt ons. I could see hitting that number if he had a smaller procharger with no other mods, but if he even had headers or an intake he'd most likely be a lot higher. Mods similar to mine with a P1= around 550 to the wheels @ 8psi, and thats with moderation in choosing mods like using shorties instead of long tube headers and a milder cam.

Edit: looked into it, would be over 520 with no cam, no anything @6psi. @ 8psi should have been between 565-600rwhp same condition. Adding a blower cam from an LS9 or something similar and other crap will bring him up over 600 easily. I believe the C6 kit has a much larger FMIC than other procharger kits which obviously helps reduce more heat than, say, the LS2 GTO kit.

At that point he'd need to seriously begin thinking about some forged internals though or it is on borrowed time. Still, kickass that you stayed with him.
    Last edited by NinjaBum; 05-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.

'99 M-Shoe
    '05 GTO-NSSP Cam, Vararam Intake, SLP UDP, Pacesetter LT's, LS7 Clutch, Kooks Afterburners
    430 RWHP/400 RWTQ

My Cars
    99FRC,Kawi ZRX 1200
    C-5's are dsitinguished by closing headlings and oval tail lights. C-6s are non-closing headlights.