Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to update DIS from v44 to v57

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    for the record it misses out testing the kombi instrument cluster,not sure why?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Can you have 44 and 55 on the same machine?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Yes.

I have v44, v57 and Progman.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    bmw m3

Wink

Dave Mc, or anyone,

Sorry to hiijack but this is relevant, I installed dis v57 to find out that it would automatically find my car (e46 m3) but wouldnt access the control modules.

I used easy dis v44 and all is fine but autoconnect doesnt work but I can still use tests fine if I select manually, I would like to re install DIS V57, so I can access my car and newer ones.

Will this work on the same base? I spent alot of time configuring to work with v44 and I dont want it all going wrong and not being able to use either..

If I update using the guide will all be well and V57 will run from the v44 EDIABAS INI? Also will I need to use the diaghead emulator and ifhsrv32? I dont need to use these when I use v44.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by carbonm31; 08-05-2012 at 06:09 AM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Yes, I have DIS v44 and DIS v57 both installed on the EasyDIS base. You will be able to run DIS v57 exactly the same way as DIS v44 (i.e. IFHSrv32 Netserver on, no diaghead emulator).

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    hey david,any thoughts on post 26?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Jamie, what version of EDIABAS are you using?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    I believe I just upgraded. How do you check the version in DIS. I still have the v44 splash screen. Coding is grayed out though

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    thats seems right,on the top of the screen are boxes,one of them will tell you what version is installed

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Jamie, what version of EDIABAS are you using?
    david,its 6.4.3,ive also noticed that v57 runs the quick test much more quicker than v44.
    Last edited by jamie123; 10-14-2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    its 6.4.3,ive also noticed that v57 runs the quick test much more quicker than v44.
    Same car? Same laptop? VMs fragmented?

Shouldnt.

Maybe something in the VM is muffed up in the network, works but slow....
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Quote Originally Posted by phamine View Post
    I believe I just upgraded. How do you check the version in DIS. I still have the v44 splash screen. Coding is grayed out though
    If you didnt change the splash screen...then how would it know?

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    Same car? Same laptop? VMs fragmented?

Shouldnt.

Maybe something in the VM is muffed up in the network, works but slow....
    yep,same laptop,side by side in vm,both one v44 the other v44 updated to v57,weird one eh.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    yep,same laptop,side by side in vm,both one v44 the other v44 updated to v57,weird one eh.
    Not really, as you need to defragment both seperately.

To defrag either version, just double click on the hard drive inside the virtual machine, then from the Utilities Tab, defrag the drive.

I'm betting that once you defrag the drive of v44, it will run the same as v57. If you are using v57, I also think you would be better off using EDIABAS v6.4.7 as its release date is a lot closer to the release date of v57 than EDIABAS v6.4.3.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    nice one,thanks.im not too worried as i only ever use it for my e36 but i do love a fresh install! lol . laptop is a dell d630 by the way with vista os
    is there an optimum ram size for the dis vm? i have mine set to 1024 mb.
    Last edited by jamie123; 10-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    2007 E60
    Quote Originally Posted by LPCapital View Post
    My time to contribute to this great community... I won't make it fancy cuz I haven't had a chance to take snapshot of the procedure. I will and then update this post.

Note: this is about how to UPDATE you currently working v44 Virtual Machine to v57.

Clone you v44 machine: just so that is something goes wrong you can fall back on a working VM...

1) Open VM Ware
    2) Select your v44 machine
    3) Select "VM" then "Clone"
    4) Click "Next" then make sure "The current state of the virtual machine" is selected and click "Next"
    5) Select "Create a full clone" and click "Next"
    6) Name the new Virtual Machine (eg "EasyDIS_v44_Program_v57") and select "Finish"

Updating from v44 to v57
    1) Select the new virtual machine
    2) In the "Devices" tab double click on "CD/DVD (IDE)"
    3) Select "Use ISO image file:" and browse for the "DIS v57 PROGRAM"
    4) Click "Ok"
    5) Power up the VM
    6) Click "Administration" and in the DIS column select "Installation"
    7) It will prompt you that the CD needs to activate, select ok, then take a walk as it will take some time
    8) Once is done turn off the VM (via the "Shutdown" command in "Calibrating touch shield"

Make sure it communicates
    On top of the normal things to check as described in the "READ THIS FIRST" white paper from [IIRC] DavidMC (please let me know if this is wrong... I'm really quoting based on memory and could be wrong... No offense, really), chances are the configurations of EDIABAS.INI in the DIS (not the one native in the INPA/EDIABAS installation, but the EDIABAS.INI in the VM) is not configured correctly. Here's how to fix it:
    1) Power up the VM, go in "Administration" -> "Calibrating touch shield"
    2) Select "7 SCOADMIN NETWORK"
    3) Left click in the blank section of the window and hit CTRL + SysRq to access to UNIX root
    4) At the prompt type "root" then enter and in password type "password" (it will not appear... that's just UNIX...) then enter
    5) Once you get to TERM = (scoansi) hit enter to get to the command line
    6) Type "cd /etc" then enter
    7) Type "vi ediabas.ini" then enter
    8) You will notice that under "RemoteHost = not_available" and "#RemoteHost = tarantella". We need to make it look like "RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1" and "#RemoteHost = diaghead"
    9) With the arrows move the cursor to the "n" of "not_available" and hit the letter "x" (to delete) untill all you have left is "RemoteHost ="
    10) Hit the letter "i" (to edit) and type " 192.168.68.1" (with the "space" between "=" and "1")
    11) Hit "esc" to exit the editing mode
    12) Move the cursor on the "#RemoteHost = tarantella" line and repeate the procedure to make it look like "#RemoteHost = diaghead". Once you're done with this change as well hit "esc"
    12) Once you're done type ":wq" to save the changes (if you ever screw up, just hit "esc" and type ":q!" to discharge any change and start all over from #7)
    13) Type "init 6" to restart
    14) Run the APITEST to make sure you're now connected

I hope this helps someone...
    where can I download the software ??

My Cars
    BMW
    Most if not ALL software links are down...BMW cracking down on illegal software copyright infringments. Those days of free software is harder to get unless people share it.

My Cars
    E21 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb34 View Post
    I have all diagnostic software on dvd's if anybody needs.All i ask is cost of discs and postage.After all,it was free to me as well.may I point a big thankyou to David Mc,and Randomy,who's knowledge is superior to mine.

Hi

can you still be kind enough to send to me?

Payment by paypal ok? my email is dc@dc12volt.com. you can send me your paypal address there.

i live in Thailand Bangkok. i will send you all the details via PM.

thank you very much.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Still a great DIY after more than 2 years. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Just a couple of very minor adjustments and comments.

Step 2 in the "Make sure it communicates" is not necessary. Just click on a blank area on the intial DIS screen then type the <Ctrl><SysRq> or whatever the equivalent is on your laptop.

Step 4. The password is the one that you created in the original DIS v44 machine. It has not changed.

Step 14 Make sure that you run the ifhsrv32.exe prog in C:\ediabas\bin (in the real computer, not the VM) before doing the API test. I believe that it should be run after the DIS install and after shutting down the VM machine at the end of the "Updating from V44 to V57" section. ie before beginning the "Make sure it communicates" section.

v57 iso can be found in kick @ss, here as of Jan 1, 2014:

http://kickass.to/dis-v57-t6966256.html

My Cars
    BMW X6 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Still a great DIY after more than 2 years. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Just a couple of very minor adjustments and comments.

Step 2 in the "Make sure it communicates" is not necessary. Just click on a blank area on the intial DIS screen then type the <Ctrl><SysRq> or whatever the equivalent is on your laptop.

Step 4. The password is the one that you created in the original DIS v44 machine. It has not changed.

Step 14 Make sure that you run the ifhsrv32.exe prog in C:\ediabas\bin (in the real computer, not the VM) before doing the API test. I believe that it should be run after the DIS install and after shutting down the VM machine at the end of the "Updating from V44 to V57" section. ie before beginning the "Make sure it communicates" section.

v57 iso can be found in kick @ss, here as of Jan 1, 2014:

http://kickass.to/dis-v57-t6966256.html
    Hello Friend,

i know it has been a while, but i just upgraded my DIS v44 to v57 and i followed the first page instructions normally, now i am waiting for the K+DCAN cable to arrive, what arethe things needs to be checked for the connection like in EDIABAS.ini or other place? i also noticed he mention IP 192.168.68.1.. i do not understand what is this IP .. should i put my vm host IP instead?

and what is that step 14 you mentioned? ifhsrv32.exe ? i have not installed anything on the real computer as far i understand it is all in the VM... right?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Hey guys, I am awakening this thread as I am having difficulty upgrading EasyDIS v.44 to v57...won't activate real CD/DVD nor the iso...see screen shot.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Highlight CD drive 1 and hit Activate CD. DIS is soooo German.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Highlight CD drive 1 and hit Activate CD. DIS is soooo German.
    Thanks David for responding...activate CD is grayed out whenever I select to use iso image, or DVD...will it respond to Unix commands?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    No, you should have the DIS v57 files burned as a normal data disk. From your screenshot, DIS recognises the disk content and normally you would just physically highlight this info, then activate it. The only time I have experienced the problem you are seeing was when a disk I was using had a fault - very frustrating, but I burned a replacement and it all went like clockwork.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    No, you should have the DIS v57 files burned as a normal data disk. From your screenshot, DIS recognises the disk content and normally you would just physically highlight this info, then activate it. The only time I have experienced the problem you are seeing was when a disk I was using had a fault - very frustrating, but I burned a replacement and it all went like clockwork.
    David, this is what I get with an actual DVD...both using the laptop default DVD player as well as an external DVD player...you really think the DVD disk is bad? Trying not to burn another DVD and get the same result.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If I could find my hard drive with the DIS installation guidelines on it I could tell you for sure, but from memory this is what I got when I had a faulty install disk. I tried a whole bunch of work arounds, but re-downloading and burning the disk was the only thing that worked in the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast