Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Vorshlag E46 Alpha - 330Ci LSx Build Thread

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Keep up the good work.

The only thing I understand you will loose dumping the factory ecu is the tach. I've heard a lot of horror stories that aren't true. Most of the cars "brain" is in the instrument cluster. But in time expect you'll let us know what you find on yours.

Thaniel

My Cars
    99 323i?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Keep up the good work.

The only thing I understand you will loose dumping the factory ecu is the tach. I've heard a lot of horror stories that aren't true. Most of the cars "brain" is in the instrument cluster. But in time expect you'll let us know what you find on yours.

Thaniel
    I have heard mixed answers if the climate controls will work without the factory ecu. Do you know if it will still work?

My Cars
    BMW 357i
    Without the dme you loose.

Rev counter, coolant temp, heater stays on HOT.

I can't remember 100% if I lost abs & speedo when the dme was disconnected.

My Cars
    99 323i?
    Damn thats not what I want to hear. The one I was hoping would still work was the air-con system. I really don't want to keep the ecu connect just to run that. I was hoping to go through the wiring and eliminate all the wiring I could. I did this on my RX-7 swap. I doubt I will be able to eliminate 26 lbs of wiring like I did on the Rx-7. I plan to keep a lot more of the creature comforts in the E46.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BikealarmBlair View Post

If you look in the Bentley at what all is wired to the ECU, it's basically every system it seems. ABS definitely goes through the ECU.

My Cars
    BMW 357i
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
    If you look in the Bentley at what all is wired to the ECU, it's basically every system it seems. ABS definitely goes through the ECU.
    I think you are correct but couldnt remember 100% so didn't want to give bad info.

My Cars
    02 330Ci, 93 RX7
    CAN system computer solution found. CAN Gateway. Allows two different CANBUS systems to talk to each other. Like a translator.

http://www.rmcan.com/index.php?id=1258&L=1

My Cars
    BMW 357i
    Quote Originally Posted by R33GTR View Post
    CAN system computer solution found. CAN Gateway. Allows two different CANBUS systems to talk to each other. Like a translator.

http://www.rmcan.com/index.php?id=1258&L=1
    If only it was that simple...

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6

Cruise goes away with the ecu on drive by wire dsince it does it all. Spedo I understand still functions. guess with the '99s still have a throttle cable so there are significant differences between years. Maybe a 99 is preferred?

My Cars
    02 330Ci, 93 RX7
    If only it was that simple...
    It is that simple. This is what other shops have been using for CANBUS solutions on other cars. Look into the 350Z/G35/V35 LSX swap. This is what they have been using to keep the factory gauges HVAC etc. It's completely programable by the user. You would still need to use both computers. The DME to run the body functions and the PCM to run the engine.
    Last edited by R33GTR; 01-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    Diesels and a 04 M3
    ^ Yup, in my searches that is what I found as well.

Terry, I will be your 1st customer. I already have the 6.0 LS1 and am searching for my donor.
    I'm a ROLEX wear'N
    Diamond ring wear'N
    KISS steal'n
    WHEELIN DEAL'N
    Limousine RIDE'N
    JET PLANE FLY'N , SON OF A GUN!
    And I'm havin a hard time holdin these alligators down!!!!!!
    WHOOOOOO!!!!!!

My Cars
    99 323i?
    I can only imagine how expensive the CAN Gateway would be. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost? My guess is serious coin.

My Cars
    BMW 357i
    It is that simple.
    I don't think it is, there are lots of different types of can protocol and the bmw protocol isn't compatible with the type used it plant machinery.

My Cars
    02 330Ci, 93 RX7
    I don't think it is, there are lots of different types of can protocol and the bmw protocol isn't compatible with the type used it plant machinery.
    Hence the unit being FULLY PROGRAMABLE. I don't know for sure if this particular unit is the one being used for other CANBUS solutions but there ARE other CANBUS solutions for other cars. For example the LS1 into the 350Z. Hinson Supercars, the maker of the swap parts, specifically sells a programable CANBUS interface that allows the GM CANBUS to communicate with the Nissan one thus keeping all the stock body controls working.

If it can be programmed to "translate" GM to Nissan it can be programmed for GM to BMW. You don't seem to be very interested in finding a solution do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster138 View Post
    I can only imagine how expensive the CAN Gateway would be. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost? My guess is serious coin.
    Hinson sells their CANBUS adaptor for $295 USD.
    Last edited by R33GTR; 01-23-2012 at 04:27 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Do you have any hands on experience with working with CANBUS systems? Have you worked with the programming end of it? I'd be interested to hear what you know about the system.

Anything is possible it simply depends on how deep one's pockets are.

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster138
    You can buy generic ones for about a bill.the hinson price if it's setup well is a very fair price

My Cars
    99 323i?
    Does anyone know if you swap out the auto climate controls for the manual knobs controls would the manual knobs work the climate control with out needing the factory ECU. I would guess that maybe the manual knobs would be able to run the system without the ECU. I have read that you can switch out the auto controls for the manual knobs and everything still works. But you can NOT go from manual knobs to auto controls without reprogramming and maybe wiring. Any insight would be great. As I have stated before I do not want to run the stock cluster.

My Cars
    BMW 357i
    If it can be programmed to "translate" GM to Nissan it can be programmed for GM to BMW. You don't seem to be very interested in finding a solution do you?
    Hinson sells their CANBUS adaptor for $295 USD.
    Nice attitude

I spent lots of time & money on this & our findings were that bmw use a different type of canBus to the units that were available last year, maybe I'm wrong or the units have changed?

If Hinsons unit was compatible would they not have jumped on one of the dozens of threads about this subject & sold a lot of units?

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Hinson's unit is Nissan specific.. so I doubt that they would be interested in the "cause"

There is a guy in the UK who has a fully functioning swap with the use of the OEM ECU running in a Y with the LSx ECU.

I'll have to find his thread.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    ...There is a guy in the UK who has a fully functioning swap with the use of the OEM ECU running in a Y with the LSx ECU.

I'll have to find his thread.
    I think you're talking about the guy in a post above you and this was his thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1673679
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Doh, I totally didn't put two and two together...

My Cars
    BMW 357i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Doh, I totally didn't put two and two together...

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    There was another guy that did an LT1 into an e46 as well....also in the UK.

My Cars
    BMW 357i
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    There was another guy that did an LT1 into an e46 as well....also in the UK.
    Correct his was done before mine, I think he's got a thread on here too.
    BMW357ci 5.7l LS1 V8 1500kgs 430ft lbs 407bhp

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Yes, but he also used autometer gauges and I think may have started with a '99 as well.

Ahh now that he has a sig I can figure it out! I'm a visual person... lol
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 01-25-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast