Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    2012 BMW F31 330d
    PMed you :-)

I'm having some boards fabbed for the CD4053b design. When the come in (3ish weeks) and I have tested it I will have some available.
    1989 535i: rescued from 4 years in a police impound lot

My Cars
    1994 BMW 320i coupe E36
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    I am sure you are right. Have you tried to acess the other modules with a OBD interface? Did you set the FIFO settings for the serial port to 8 for TX and RX? All other settings correct?
    Here is a picture og my ADS converter buildt on a piece of Vero. The diagnosic plug also has a service reset switch added.
    I did not stop looking at it much, because what interested me was the ECU. With Carsoft software and interface I can access to ECU, instrument cluster and ZKE modules but not to other modules.

There is a difference between the diagnosis of Carsoft and INPA. Carsoft shows Status: Error, but Inpa shows JobStatus: OKAY. Both give lambda probe error.

In relation to your diagnostic plug, good job!!

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact

Layout

Here is the layout I have made for the ADS converter.
    Warning, its not tested But I do this for a living, so I am quite sure that it is correct.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HansV; 03-28-2012 at 03:56 AM.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact

SMD layout

I have also made a layout using SMD compnents.

The parts list for the SMD layout is:
    1 - CD4053B/BM (any SO16 type is OK) switching circuit
    3 - BC847 NPN transistor (or any other SOT-23 signal transistor with minimum HFE of 100)
    3 - 1 kohm 0805 resistors
    5 - 10 kohm 0508 resistor
    1- 0 ohm 1206 resistor (a thin wire will also do fine)

The SMD layout is smaller and you don't have to drill holes in the board. You also get to practice you soldering skills
    Last edited by HansV; 03-28-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Very nice, I tried to get mine 1 layer but I was using headers to break out the ads/rs232 wires.

all resistors are 1206 the cd4053 is TI's ssop D package and the header footprints provide nice holes to solder wire into.

Let me know what you think Hans.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    How big is the board? Will it fit inside the 20pin connector? It not, you would need an extra box for the board.
    Looks OK, but I wouldn't bother with the headers. Just as easy to solder the wires directly to the board. Where did you order the boards from?

Ordered boards from seed studio. Its 28x35mm if I remember correctly.

When I get my calipers back I will mic the 20 pin connectors dimensions and make a board that solders to those pins.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    That size should fit fine inside the connector

My Cars
    94 BMW 325is, 87 Nissan 300zx, 98 MB slk230 +1
    Ive been following this thread for a while and have another question on making my existing Carsoft cable work on INPA. Its works on maybe 7 modules with carsoft. My active pins on my connector are: ( Iwas told this). This is for a 94 325is auto

1- DME TD signal
    7- dashboard
    12- generator
    14- Batt
    15- EDC - RDX - L?
    16- 15
    18- DME progr. voltage
    19- ground
    20- TxD - K ?

When I swapped pin 15 and 20 I was able to read ABS module on Carsoft. Without that swap using CArsoft I was able to access DME plus several others, and using INPA with or without swap, once I was able to access Air Bag. My question is can I jumper or tie any of these TDX - RDX lines together to access all modules in both Carsoft and INPA. I have the actual CS hardware and software.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by visco; 03-28-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add info

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    I can not explain how swapping the K and L line works. The ADS interface switches between sending the TXD from the PC to the car between the K-line and L-line. But the replay data from the car is allways on the K-line. Could be that the carsoft adapter has some cross connection here. Are you using it in OBD or ADS mode?
    Do you have a real carsoft adapter or a cheap China copy? A have two china adapters, and I got one of them to work as a OBD adapter.
    It's not easy to find a way of modifying your adapter when I don't know how it's made, it would be mutch easier just to build an ADS adapter. You will have to find a way of adding a switch on the RXD signal.
    You can also try to connect pin 17 togeather with pin20 in the plug if it's not done already.
    By the way, pin 7 is the service reset pin. It's grounded for a few secounds with ignition on to reset oil and inspection service indicators.

My Cars
    94 BMW 325is, 87 Nissan 300zx, 98 MB slk230 +1
    Thanks you Hans
    Her is my pinout from the BMW port to the input of the CS interface. I cannot get a proper table to attached so the data is

BMW 20 Pin --> 20PIN CS ---> 15 pin to interface

Service Reset 7 --> 7 black---> 1
    K Data Line 20 --> 20 Red --> 6
    K Data Line 17 --> 17 orange --> 7
    L Data Line 15--> 15green --> 14
    Ignition signal 16-->16 yellow--->15
    Ground 19---> 19 brown---> 4
    Battery 14--> 14 blue ---> 5
    My BMW 20 pin has 1 and 12 pin and not 17 active.

The BMW pinout I showed in my last post appears different then the one that a actually have and wasnt sure if this requires a different routing of the wires in my connector. I would think K and L lines need to be in a specific place no mater how they get there.

The Carsoft adapter is wired as I show it above and how it matches the BMW port. The table also shows how the 20 pin Carsoft connection pins to the 15 pin connection that goes to the CS interface, None of the wires are jumpered in the adapter. When I switched pin 20 with 15 I was able to see the ABS module. This was te only time I was able to do that. In Carsoft without the 20/15 pin switch I get DME, air bag, transmission, Instrument cluster, AirCon, ZKE, but with INPA I have only been able to see the air bag.

One of my questions is why does INPA not work on more modules along with is it possible to rewire to get the ABS without swapping wires, With INPA I chose ADS and had tried to switch to OBD and INPA flagged it as an error saying I had an ADS adapter . Also I will check today but I amusing XP pro which I thougth I read that INPA may not work with 64 bit process. Is the true?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by visco; 03-29-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: table alignment 2

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    The Carsoft adapt is only OBD, and will at best reach the OBD compatible modules in your car. To reach all modules you probably need a ADS adapter. The main difference between the ODB and ADS adapter it that the ADS adapter can switch the TXD signal between K-line and L-line, controlled by the DTR signal. The OBD interface only has TDX connected to K-line and can generate wakeup pulses on the L-line controlled by the RTS signal. So the adapers are not compatible and are using different control signals, but the ADS adapter can be used om ODB modules that only uses K-line og only need wakeup signal on L-line.
    So if your car needs ADS on some of the modules you whould stop wasting your time with the carsoft adapter and get a ADS adapter. If you only need OBD, get a cheap USB OBD/CAN INPA interface. But of cause if you enjoy fiddling around with things, keep going. Just make sure you don't break your car.
    The L and K lines on the car have 12/0V signals with a pull-up resistor on each line. They are pulled to 0V by your adapter og the car modules. What you should NOT do is to connect 12V directly to theese lines. That can damage the system. You are warned! Playing around and swapping them should do no damage I think, but I don't know the details of your carsoft adapter. There are several different types of clone adapters. Here is the schmatic for one of them, hope this can help. It only has a 9pin connector, but the signals should be the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Just a follow up with a (allmost) free OBD interface. In this interface TXD and RXD is only connected to the K-line and the RTS signal is used to wake up modules by pulsing on the L-line. Connecting 12V and ignition to RI and DSR enables battery and ignition detect by INPA and DIS.
    I added wiring for both 16 and 20 pin connectors. This interface schould work with all cars that don't need ADS or CAN interface.
    Parts list:
    2 BC547B transistors (or any NPN with HFE>100)
    1 BC577B transistor (or any PNP with HFE>100)
    4 1kohm resistors, 0.25W
    3 10kohm resistors, 0.25W

Enjoy!
    Has anyone used this simplified version of the original design? Did it work as an ADS interface on the 20pin connector and using DIS?

My Cars
    02 330xi i || 01 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Has anyone used this simplified version of the original design? Did it work as an ADS interface on the 20pin connector and using DIS?
    I just received some CD4053 chips from Mouser to built this circuit, should have it tested tomorrow or the next day.
    Yoy.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

3 - BC847 NPN transistor (or any other SOT-23 signal transistor with minimum HFE of 100)

The SMD layout is smaller and you don't have to drill holes in the board. You also get to practice you soldering skills
    I am getting my CD4053 chip today and I'll be assembling this over the weekend. Can I install LED's on the K Lines and L line and IGN and BAT? Where in this schematic should I place them? I assume one side of the LED goes to ground but where do I pickup the signal for the others? Do I just tap in from the signal as it comes from the 20pin connector? Or is it after the chip somewhere?
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 04-27-2012 at 07:34 AM.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    You can try to place the LED's in series with the pull-up resistors on the K and L line, R2 and R3. That should work and give OK light with about 10mA current. It will reduce the pull-up voltage a little, but that should not be a problem. Do not "tap in" to the signal

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3

HansV,

Do you mind if I adapt this to the openOBC project (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hp?t=1153365)? I was trying to do it using a pair of LIN transceivers (L9637) but this design looks simpler. The only caveat: I'm using a micro with 3.3V level TTL RS-232. Any idea how to adapt the 4053 design to work with 3.3V logic levels?

Any help appreciated as this is the last area of concern for my project.

Thanks.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    I think it would by nice to shear the design, but you should ask the thread starter as well. I just adopted and simplified his design.
    I will pm you about changes for 3.3v. This should not be a problem, but I think the input needs to be inverted. Another transistor, maybe? The output is simple, just connect 3.3v and 0v to the switch for the output signal instead of 12v and 0v. I have a liking for these basic logical circuits

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 316i
    Hello, thanks for the interface schematic HansV but I'm having some problems. I soldered the ADS scheme with cd4053 that you provided but it doesn't work for me. Battery and ignition circles works but when I try to connect with INPA i get these errors: sys - 00012, IFH - 009. I tried to connect to airbags, ABS, instrument cluster but no luck. My car is 1994 316i. My obd has no 17 pin. Also Im using simple wires to connect to OBD.
    Also what INPA should "say" when I connect only my interface to pc but no connection with car? (I hope you will understand, my English knowledge is poor).

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Have you tried to connect to the DME? Can you connect to any modules at all? Sounds like you need better connections at the 20 pin connector.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Make sure to make it work with INPA first, much easier to do than DIS.
    Check all settings and make sure the ADS driver is installed.
    Check the COM port settings.
    Do you get the same error messages in INPA and DIS?

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 316i
    Thanks for your replies. I didn't try to use it on DIS because it should work on INPA first. I use it on Hp Compaq laptop with serial port. I think I did all rights settings: I enabled fifobuffers, TX and Rx is set to 8. When I installed INPA i selected ADS interface also tried on my old pc with serial port but no success. Maybe something more should be done?
    Anyway Flyfishvt gave me advice to check my connections at 20 pin connector which I will try but I think when my interface isnt connected to the car INPA shouldn't post errors like IFH-0009, SYS-00012...
    Also when I tried the interface with my car connected in INPA i chosed special tests and as I can remember in error memory it found something in Dutch language I think. Anyway I will try DIS and I will look what it says. I hope you will understand something because it's really hard to explain these things in English Again thanks for replys.

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 316i
    Update. No luck... Today I installed new windows xp with sp 2 and did all settings that need to be done. As I connect my ADS interface which I made from schematic's that Hansv posted INPA indicates battery and ignition circles correctly. Today I noticed that in special test section it managed to connect to "Central body electronics ZKE4" So I quess my settings in windows are correct? Maybe problems with my interface?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 520i
    Hello y have built the 2 schematic presented by Hans (Thank you!),the ADS interface works well on one BMW 520i e34 from 1995 ecu Siemens MS40.1. One question the obd2 schematic is tested?

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast