Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    1994 316i E36

where in RO ?

unde in romania ? bucuresti ? daca da, da-mi mail, am interfatza si laptop, te ajut eu.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimann View Post
    If i build this cable, which software would work with it ?
    I'm so desperate, i can't erase an airbag error on my '93 E36, no service/person in my town has an ADS tester, can't find one for sale in my country, only OBD/OBD2

My Cars
    1998 E36 323i COUPE AUTO
    This looks just what I need to access my ASC/ABS module to read the codes - my KKL serial 'C@rsoft 6.5 Compatible' interface & USB interface can't access.

I just wanted to ask if this will work if the car doesn't have a pin 17?

My car is a 1998 E36 323i Coupe Automatic - european - right hand drive.
    My engine compartment 20 pin socket has the following 9 pins;

I don't think there is a 16 pin socket in the driver footwell as when I had the panels out for another job I didn't see one or wiring. Other UK owners have stated we didn't get the 16 pin socket in european models until 2001 or so.

Thx.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Markie76 View Post
    This looks just what I need to access my ASC/ABS module to read the codes - my KKL serial 'C@rsoft 6.5 Compatible' interface & USB interface can't access.

I just wanted to ask if this will work if the car doesn't have a pin 17?

My car is a 1998 E36 323i Coupe Automatic - european - right hand drive.
    My engine compartment 20 pin socket has the following 9 pins;

I don't think there is a 16 pin socket in the driver footwell as when I had the panels out for another job I didn't see one or wiring. Other UK owners have stated we didn't get the 16 pin socket in european models until 2001 or so.

Thx.
    Yes, it will work without pin 17. Pin 15 is usually the one to look for. If you have pin 15, then this is the adapter for you.

My Cars
    1993 325is, 96 parts car
    That looks awesome! I am building one. Just for the record

benemorius:

1) I assume that the list in your first post is the final version to date? Any planned updates?

2) I see m2pc built one but that thing is complicated, lol. Not in so much as "I" cant understand it, but, almost too many parts to run around to get and hope work together, but, something cool to build none the less. I bring it up because he mentioned a filter circuit. As per above question, any thoughts to an update for a simple filter circuit to go along with your simple design?

3) Idont understand how I can make a circuit (with your schematic) like yours and not follow the/thread, it is like I am half retarded and half genius!? But, can you list for me exactly what programs and functions "your" design can work with/do?

4) Is there any resistors or tranny's that get hot? I am thinking of soldering without a breadboard and sinking it in a box and filling the box with silicone.

And, really, thank you sooo much for dedicating your time to it and giving us this info.
    Last edited by BMWdriverwanted; 12-07-2011 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525TDS

E34

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I own a '95 E34 525TDS (DDE 2.0) europe LHD. I tried connecting it with OBD to 20-pin adaptor with no success using DIS 52. Yesterday I built the ADS interface from benemorius' schematics but had no time to test it. Now I have a few questions:

1 - What software should I use to access E34 DDE and airbags (saw that inpa works only with e39 or newer). Will it work with DIS52 using ADS?

2 - benemorius: Isn't it risky to connect pin 9 of DB9 (RI#) directly to car +12v? I have only one working laptop with serial port and I don't want to break it.

3 - dragoshans: I'm form Romania/Bucharest. Any help would be appreciated

My Cars
    1994 316i E36

quick reply on e34

allready tested on an e34, but for some strange reason that did not functioned. on the e 36 everything is good. software used was INPA
    earlyer version(not the latest). i think that the malfunction of the interface was dued to an improper selection of the adapter interface during the installation of INPA.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Has anyone used this successfully with INPA on a US OBDII e36? I built the interface and can't seem to get it working. Not sure what the issue is, could be my INPA setup.

I installed INPA with ADS support on Win7x86. I have a real COM1 serial port (no USB adapter). I get the battery/ignition indicators on in INPA even when the ignition is off - should that happen?

I'm going to double-check my circuit and start poking around with the oscilloscope later today but was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    I get the battery/ignition indicators on in INPA even when the ignition is off - should that happen?
    Ok, after looking at the schematic it appears that INPA uses the DSR line to determine if the ignition is on (low = on, high = off). I must have an issue with my circuit somewhere as this part is simple. Will continue troubleshooting when I can get back out to my car.

I found/fixed some problems on my board, INPA is working great now. Thanks!
    Last edited by gpeterson; 02-03-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i
    Think this setup would work with a USB to serial adapter on a 95' e34?

My Cars
    bmw 525tds 1994 sedan
    Hi, I built yours cool adapter, but INPA read only airbag module, no other module didn't respond. When I try to read engine (m51 diesel DDE2.1) it is displayed only "SYS-0002: ECU OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND. where is trouble in INPA, adapter or car?

My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    INPA does not read DDE2.1.You have to use DIS instead.

My Cars
    1998 E36 323i COUPE AUTO
    I've now made the 'board ver 2.0' by dragoshans in post 40 and soldered the components.

But I'm a bit stuck where to solder the connections for the serial port & car diagnostic socket in post 1.

Also in post 1 the circuit on the breadboard has 3 led's on it but they're not indicated in the circuit diagram

Can someone (dragoshans?) help me and mark up the v2 pcb schematic in post 40 to show where to connect the led's and the connections for the serial port and the car end.

Would be very much appreciated

My Cars
    2012 BMW F31 330d
    Gah, now I've tried connecting it to a PC with on-board COM-port, still no luck. "Bad communication", CarSoft replies.

Measured 12v over pin 5 and 9 on the COM-side, that's the only thing I can work out how to measure.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 320i coupe E36
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    If you have a serial connector, a handful of transistors, an assortment of resistors, and a breadboard/perfboard to place them on, then you can build this ADS interface for use with INPA and whatnot. You should be able to buy the parts at a place like radio shack or sparkfun for a few dollars if you don't already have them.

I found that this suited my needs and budget much better than any of the premade options. I imagine others might benefit from it as well, so I'm posting the schematic. I don't expect I'll be doing a full writeup on it, but I do hope some other enthusiastic soul out there takes it and does so. If you can work on your car I think you can build one of these.

To anyone who does try it out, I'd be much obliged to hear about your results. I've been using this interface for a while now, but there may be an error in the schematic I don't know about or improvements that should be made.

Here's a list of the parts:
    Hi, when I click image for larger version, I get this message:

You do not have permission to perform this action.

Someone can tell me why? Thanks.

Nobody can tell me why I can not see pictures of the thread?
    Last edited by dani323; 03-02-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1994 BMW 320i coupe E36
    Solved.

I click right button on image, and "open link in other window".

My Cars
    bmw 525tds 1994 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by PitrekT View Post
    INPA does not read DDE2.1.You have to use DIS instead.
    I tried to read with DIS but he has not seen

My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    Quote Originally Posted by mirum View Post
    I tried to read with DIS but he has not seen
    What version of DIS do you use?
    I tested on v44 and everything was fine but with v57 not

My Cars
    bmw 525tds 1994 sedan
    I'm too used dis_v57, shall try dis44. Your adapter from benemorius ?
    Last edited by mirum; 03-03-2012 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Thank you very much for the schematic! I needed an ADS interface for my E36 to acess the ECU, so I made my own interface based on this circuit. I re-design it using a CD4053 switching circuit I had at work and cut the number of transistors down to 3. This is a very old and basic analog switching circuit with tree analog FET switches and you can get it for 2-3$ on ebay for 5 circuits.
    The pros of this design is that it is easier to build and the signal driving on the lines is better with faster switching and no series resistors on the lines. I have scoped the signals and it looks good with sharps flanks and no glitches or noise.
    I will try to post the schematics for anyone interested in making one.
    Parts list:
    1 - CD4053 switching circuit
    3 - BC547 NPN transistor (or any other signal transistor with minimum HFE of 100)
    2 - 1 kohm resistors, min 0.25W
    5 - 10 kohm resistor, min 0.25W

Part for optional service reset:
    1 - Push botton switch
    1 - 1 kohm resistors, min 0.25W

You will also need a COM cable with a female connector (just cut a standard RS-232 cable) and a round 20-pin "Pacman" diagnostic connector. A little piece of Vero with round pads is good for building the circuit.

It works like a dream with DIS and I can communicate with all modules
    I needed a laptop with a serial port to make it work. PCMCIA with patched driver did not work.
    Edit: When using the ADSport tool and setting correct COM port and hardware address for the PCMCIA adapter it work great! Now I also have a working INPA and DIS using ADS on my everyday laptop without a serial port.
    Link to ADSport tool: http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...th-pcmcia.html

Good luck to you who others who tries to get INPA and DIS to work. It is a long way to go, but in the end you will have a very powerful tool for working with you car.

Edit: For new design try the MKII version of the interface in post #254.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HansV; 03-14-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Service reset switch added in the schematic

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    I will try to post the schematics for anyone interested in making one.
    Parts list:
    1 - CD4053 switching circuit
    3 - BC547 NPN transistor (or and other signal transistor with minimum HFE=100)
    2 - 1 kohm resistors, min 0.25W
    5 - 10 kohm resistor, min 0.25W
    That would be great if you could do that for us.... I'd love to see a compact design of this circuit.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Here you go, now it seems to work!
    CD4053 is a oldschool integrated circuit with triple analog FET switches that can be used for a lot of different applications. This technology works with supply voltage up to 20V and is well suited for car applications. Make sure to use th CD type of the circuit, other types can not handle 14-15V. www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4053b.pdf
    The first switch selects if the TXD signal goes to the K or L line, the second switch is a buffer and inverter for the RX signal from the car on the K-line and the third switch connects the RDX output either to ground or the RX data. I had to use 3 transistors for signal level converting of the +/-12V RS-232 input signals. The output signals are still 0-12V, this works well with most RS-232 drivers. To make it "correct" it is possible to use a RS-232 driver circuit that can supply negative signal voltage, but it is not nessesary if the cable is short.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the ADS interface and OBD interface? Does OBD used the L-line? Is the RX signal switched or does the PC get an echo when transmitting? I would like to know so I can make an interface with a switch that can support both ADS and OBD. Quess I will have to take out the PC scope and measure the OBD signals to find out for myself.
    Last edited by HansV; 03-05-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    bmw 525tds 1994 sedan
    HansV, You are use only dis or inpa too tried use

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    I am using both DIS and INPA. When using INPA and communicating with the ECU I get some error messages. Others have reported this too with other types of ADSconverters, so this is most likely an issue with INPA.
    For simple operations like fault code reading, clearing and live data INPA is much faster that DIS when you know what modules you to access.

My Cars
    bmw 525tds 1994 sedan
    What version dis you use? I'm use INPA5.0.2 with disV57, but i have some trouble (look at my post's upper on this page)

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    I use EasyDIS/GT1 v44 and Ediabas/INPA v.6.4.3. Then I can use DIS for both diagnostics and coding and don't need Progman.
    I followed this installation guide and software download:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561237

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Just a follow up with a (allmost) free OBD interface. In this interface TXD and RXD is only connected to the K-line and the RTS signal is used to wake up modules by pulsing on the L-line. Connecting 12V and ignition to RI and DSR enables battery and ignition detect by INPA and DIS.
    I added wiring for both 16 and 20 pin connectors. This interface schould work with all cars that don't need ADS or CAN interface.
    Parts list:
    2 BC547B transistors (or any NPN with HFE>100)
    1 BC577B transistor (or any PNP with HFE>100)
    4 1kohm resistors, 0.25W
    3 10kohm resistors, 0.25W

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HansV; 03-09-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast