Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 597

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    943
    My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmuerte View Post
    Hy can i use this interface for synchronization EWS-DME ?
    Yes, as far as I know. Please try it and let us know how it worked.

    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    That's pretty cool! Would this work for an OBDII based car? (Substituting the appropriate OBDII pins if the 20-pin isn't present?)
    Yes I believe so. Although I don't have an OBDII car to test it on, I believe that this interface becomes an OBD interface (in ediabas/inpa terminology/configuration) if you short pins 20, 17, and 15 together and connect them to pin 7 in the OBD connector.
    Last edited by benemorius; 07-03-2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4
    My Cars
    1994 BMW 325iC
    Very nice of you benemorius and Lowclock, thank you! Does it work with Carsoft? Did any one test it?
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 07-19-2011 at 07:42 PM.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    943
    My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    If an ADS INPA adapter will work with carsoft, then this adapter will work with carsoft. Otherwise it will not. I believe the answer is negative, but I have not read up on these matters in quite some time now.
    Last edited by benemorius; 08-19-2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: neglected to specify ads (vs obd)

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    112
    My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    OBD interfaces work with carsoft, ADS don't.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bowmanville,Ontario,canad
    Posts
    6
    My Cars
    2000 540i sportswagon

    Your ASD Interface and Mods I had to make

    Hi Benemorius:

    After several days of researching, I decided to prototype your interface and I finally took out my scope after a full day of unsuccessful testing with INPA 5.02 (installed from INPA.iso).

    I discovered that the DTR line is always set high (output from USB to Serial cable) and shutting down the RXD line which was significant. I got around that by moving the RXD line to the other side of R15. I also joined TXD1, TXD2, and RXD together at pin 20 of the 20-pin connector along with a jumper to pin 17. I did not connect the IGN line because INPA was constantly indicating Ignition and Battery OFF - Probably something with the USB interface.

    I followed the instructions in this thread:
    http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=770882
    e.g. - I added UBAT=OFF to OBD.ini immediately after Retry=ON (next line). I also created a registry file (as indicated in the thread) and added it to the registry for the serial port.

    After making the above changes and the change to you interface - success!!!!!! I spent <$20 for parts, $20 for USB cable (Prolific PL-2303 chip set) and some debug time - Thanks for your efforts and ingenuity with the circuit (Schmitt trigger cleans up the spikes on the returning waveforms). Regards, Joe

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2
    My Cars
    BMW E36 316i (M40)
    If i build this cable, which software would work with it ?
    I'm so desperate, i can't erase an airbag error on my '93 E36, no service/person in my town has an ADS tester, can't find one for sale in my country, only OBD/OBD2

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    943
    My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopilato View Post
    Hi Benemorius:

    After several days of researching, I decided to prototype your interface and I finally took out my scope after a full day of unsuccessful testing with INPA 5.02 (installed from INPA.iso).

    I discovered that the DTR line is always set high (output from USB to Serial cable) and shutting down the RXD line which was significant. I got around that by moving the RXD line to the other side of R15. I also joined TXD1, TXD2, and RXD together at pin 20 of the 20-pin connector along with a jumper to pin 17. I did not connect the IGN line because INPA was constantly indicating Ignition and Battery OFF - Probably something with the USB interface.

    I followed the instructions in this thread:
    http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=770882
    e.g. - I added UBAT=OFF to OBD.ini immediately after Retry=ON (next line). I also created a registry file (as indicated in the thread) and added it to the registry for the serial port.

    After making the above changes and the change to you interface - success!!!!!! I spent <$20 for parts, $20 for USB cable (Prolific PL-2303 chip set) and some debug time - Thanks for your efforts and ingenuity with the circuit (Schmitt trigger cleans up the spikes on the returning waveforms). Regards, Joe
    Thanks so much for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm sure this information could help someone else in the future. It sounds as if your serial adapter may indeed have been acting funny, though I should restrain myself from offering too much speculation until I have reacquainted myself with the subject again. I'm glad you were able to get it working and make use of it despite the problems you encountered.

    Quote Originally Posted by vimann View Post
    If i build this cable, which software would work with it ?
    I'm so desperate, i can't erase an airbag error on my '93 E36, no service/person in my town has an ADS tester, can't find one for sale in my country, only OBD/OBD2
    I've personally used both INPA and easyDIS with success and no (apparent) missing features. In fact, resetting my airbag light with INPA was the first thing I did with it, I believe. This was on a '94 US e36.

    Additionally, according to jarda's input concerning carsoft and OBD INPA adapters, it seems as though carsoft should work with it as well if you do as I instructed a few posts ago for turning it in to an OBD adapter. I have not personally tested this configuration. Do note that on a car which requires an ADS interface (as opposed to an OBD interface), you will not be able to communicate with some of the modules if you use an OBD interface. I don't presently recall which modules will work and which will not, but that information should be present (in one form or another) in the openobc thread. This is true regardless of which software you use, as it is due to the fact that an OBD interface does not transmit on the RXD line which is the only line that certain modules are listening on.
    Last edited by benemorius; 08-19-2011 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2
    My Cars
    BMW E36 316i (M40)
    Thank you for the answer benemorius

    For pin 14 and 19, should i take 12v and Gnd from the car's battery ?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    11
    My Cars
    1994 316i E36
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    If you have a serial connector, a handful of transistors, an assortment of resistors, and a breadboard/perfboard to place them on, then you can build this ADS interface for use with INPA and whatnot. You should be able to buy the parts at a place like radio shack or sparkfun for a few dollars if you don't already have them.

    I found that this suited my needs and budget much better than any of the premade options. I imagine others might benefit from it as well, so I'm posting the schematic. I don't expect I'll be doing a full writeup on it, but I do hope some other enthusiastic soul out there takes it and does so. If you can work on your car I think you can build one of these.

    To anyone who does try it out, I'd be much obliged to hear about your results. I've been using this interface for a while now, but there may be an error in the schematic I don't know about or improvements that should be made.

    Here's a list of the parts:
    Hello ! did you have a PCB designed for this schematic ?
    thanks !!!!(using eagle or express PCB ...usw....)

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    11
    My Cars
    1994 316i E36

    Smile circuit board designed in eagle

    enjoy !.... and provide feed-back
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1
    My Cars
    1998 323ti Compact
    Can I use NCS Expert with this Interface ?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4
    My Cars
    1994 BMW 325iC

    Inpa 5.02

    OK, the car is 94 325iC (US version with ADS) and EDIABAS 6.47 and INPA 5.02 on IBM T30 using the serial port configured as COM1. No connection with carsoft 6.5 and 6.1. INPA see the battery but not the ignition key and any module. I was wondering if there is some points were I can check the voltage eventually to troubleshoot the schematics or if there is any way to figure out if the problem is in the INPA installation. I appreciate all of your help guys!

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    bmw

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by dragoshans View Post
    enjoy !.... and provide feed-back
    Not OK ? !

    Q1(3) <------> R15,R5

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    11
    My Cars
    1994 316i E36
    i have done the interface, it's working , at least at the level of battery and ignition. further, i will need some assistance in e36 "debug"
    to the question raised for the q1 connection with resistors, try to imagine tjhat this is the back of the board, different from when you look at the transistors (usually, from the top. i had myself the same problem when designing the board, i was suspecting a flaw in the cad soft... the flaw was mine - misreading the positioning of the "q's"

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    11
    My Cars
    1994 316i E36
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoshans View Post
    i have done the interface, it's working , at least at the level of battery and ignition. further, i will need some assistance in e36 "debug"
    to the question raised for the q1 connection with resistors, try to imagine tjhat this is the back of the board, different from when you look at the transistors (usually, from the top. i had myself the same problem when designing the board, i was suspecting a flaw in the cad soft... the flaw was mine - misreading the positioning of the "q's"
    board ver 2.0
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #41
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    76
    My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    Can you connect with all modules in E36 using this interface?
    Last edited by PitrekT; 09-16-2011 at 02:03 PM.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    11
    My Cars
    1994 316i E36
    well, i have tested the interface today, it's working.when you install inpa make sure that you choose ads interface
    not ads/ obd.
    i have erased information in my airbag module, i have reseted the inspection time/mileage, i have found that the errors in my abs module are dued to a faulty sensor (rear right... which i am going to test it more thoroughly tommorow; i have checked all the instrument cluster module, well, at least what i know to do.
    referring to the question raised if this interface connects to all modules, i cannot answer , but i think if you get it to communicate with two or more modules, then you have the right thing.
    beware of com port 1 beeing occupied by stupid active Sync

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    76
    My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    OK.I will make it and test on E36
    By the way.I found other simple ADS schema but built on MAX232 and specific K-line drivers.Acc to information it should work fine with ADS cars.
    I would test it as well but PCB needs to be created.
    Can anyone make PCB to that schema?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    11
    My Cars
    1994 316i E36
    [QUOTE=PitrekT;22747771]OK.I will make it and test on E36
    By the way.I found other simple ADS schema but built on MAX232 and specific K-line drivers.Acc to information it should work fine with ADS cars.
    I would test it as well but PCB needs to be created.
    Can anyone make PCB to that schema?[/QUOTE this is for an OBD based system; different !!!! the can system also uses k-line but you have to have also the L-line for older bmw's !!!
    nevertheless , i will try to make a pcb in one or two days for your schematic...

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    76
    My Cars
    E46 328i 99
    I comapred that schema with other ADS interface and main difference is exacttly in one component GAL.Orginal ADS interface has GAL but this one no.It seems function of GAL was replaced by two 74HC... chips.
    As I know CAN system doesn't use K-line just CAN-H and CAN-L
    Anyway tahnks for your support in making PCB

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Posts
    3,780
    My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PitrekT View Post
    OK.I will make it and test on E36
    By the way.I found other simple ADS schema but built on MAX232 and specific K-line drivers.Acc to information it should work fine with ADS cars.
    I would test it as well but PCB needs to be created.
    Can anyone make PCB to that schema?
    See here: I took that design and modified it slightly to use a different regulator, more filtering, and SMD components:

    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=22903159

    1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    943
    My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by rustamabd View Post
    @benemorius: I do not understand how this circuit works. I am not an expert in electronics but there seem to be no provisions for negative voltages? I know there are voltages from -12V up to +12V on the K/L bus..
    I'm afraid of hooking it up...
    The DTR should switch TX between RXD and TXD lines, will it also switch negative current?
    There are no negative voltages on the K or L bus. You will only see roughly battery voltage and roughly zero volts. In reality, it's more like +11v and +2v.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    106
    My Cars
    2012 BMW F31 330d
    Hi,

    I've "built" the breadboard now. Only problem is, no luck communicating. Neither ECU, ABS or Instrument Cluster. Even when not connected, INPA says "Battery: ON". Cannot get Ignition to change from "OFF". Battery is still "ON" even if I disconnect the usb<->serial adaptor.

    Moved RXD on computer-side as stated earlier in this thread, no change (what would that have to do with IGN detection anyways)

    Interface = ADS, INPA starts just fine. Works with KKL409 and Interface = STD:OBD, on my E39. The car I want to connect to is a '92 EU E36 325i Coupé. Tried with my car batteri charger, connecting GND to - and IGN+BAT to +, no luck.

    My USB-Serial adaptor is a Prolific PL-2303. Checked with the settings stated earlier in this thread.

    Hope my english makes sense.

    Troels
    Denmark
    Last edited by puttitat; 10-31-2011 at 06:04 PM.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    943
    My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by puttitat View Post
    Hi,

    I've "built" the breadboard now. Only problem is, no luck communicating. Neither ECU, ABS or Instrument Cluster. Even when not connected, INPA says "Battery: ON". Cannot get Ignition to change from "OFF". Battery is still "ON" even if I disconnect the usb<->serial adaptor.

    Moved RXD on computer-side as stated earlier in this thread, no change (what would that have to do with IGN detection anyways)

    Interface = ADS, INPA starts just fine. Works with KKL409 and Interface = STD:OBD, on my E39. The car I want to connect to is a '92 EU E36 325i Coupé. Tried with my car batteri charger, connecting GND to - and IGN+BAT to +, no luck.

    My USB-Serial adaptor is a Prolific PL-2303. Checked with the settings stated earlier in this thread.

    Hope my english makes sense.

    Troels
    Denmark
    Unfortunately, BMW has programmed their ADS driver in such a way that it only works with a real serial port. Forum member jarda has written a tool to make it work with pcmcia and presumably pci serial ports (see here and here) but I don't think anyone has found a way to make it work with usb-serial adapters. It should be possible, but no one has written the software yet.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Finland, Europe
    Posts
    531
    My Cars
    E61 520d LCI
    Good work on making the interface much simpler ! Does IHKA work also (E32/E34) ? it uses the L-line
    E61 520d LCI

    Check out TestO - free datalogger for BMW. Includes support for: AEM, PLX, 14point7, Innovate (through SDK)

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •