Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    95 328i, 89 318i
    Hi Guys,

I made the ADS adapter (MKII) and we cant get it to work. We are not sure if it is a software issue, an issue with our adapter, or the laptop itself. When plugged in, the following LEDS stay on (IGN/Battery, RXD and the L Line Led). When we first tried to use INPA we would get a message about an illegal IFH version. We installed an older version of EDIABAS and we didnt get the error but there was no activity on the LEDS and no modules could be reached.

INPA did not show battery or ignition filled in either.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    What year and model is the car you are attempting to diagnose?

My Cars
    95 328i, 89 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    What year and model is the car you are attempting to diagnose?
    Hi David,

We have tried it on the following vehicles
    96' M52b28 328i (South African Import)
    93' M50b25 325i (Aust Delivered)
    94' M42b18 318is (Aust Delivered)

We cannot connect to the DME or the airbag module, no activity is seen on the diagnostic leds. When I had my China OBD Kline cable I could connect to the airbag module on my 328i so I was confident in INPA being correct but when I set it to ADS I get a software Error. IFH-0028 Illegal Verison which in the EDIABAS error manual relates to an incorrect version of EDIABAS.Ediabas was version 7.0.0.

When we tried a Different EDIABAS/INPA installer we no longer got that error but we still had no activity on the leds on the board. The version of that ediabas install was 6.4.3 Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Gruelius; 01-06-2015 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You have a PM.

My Cars
    323ci e46
    Hi

i use a thinkpad t23 with real rs232 com port.
    i bought the tiny ads interface and connected to my car..

on my car i dont have the pin 17 in the diagnostic socket.. its txd2

the irq and dma is right on my thinkpad...
    i see bat. and ign. but nothing will connect.

its a 318i with the m43 engine. i will read out the dme and the abs system... have abs lights on.

irq and dma are right on the thinkpad.. so whats wrong...

when i stat my dis 44 vmware... i cant get anything... i need help... god help...

the ediabas ini is set to ADS and i done the ADS Setup.. in tool32 it shows me ADS.. so whats wrong.. i can see that the LEDS on the Interface flashing but i get errors....

My Cars
    1994 328i
    I had a box full of electronic components so I built the orginal version of the ADS interface. Works perfectly! Congratulations and thanks to benemorius for sharing this.

If anyone is interested I drew a new PCB layout which has the connections for the PC serial port down one side and the vehicle connector on the other. The circuit of this is identical to the original except that I added R18 - a 10K resistor - to the RI line since I didn't like the idea of connecting the PC serial port directly to 12 volt.

PCB copper - http://postimg.org/image/sfgmox4sl/

Component overlay - http://postimg.org/image/hny81f0nz/

My Cars
    2000 BMW 318i M43
    Hi,
    I've got an E46 2000 318i M43 and I'm having trouble identifying which type of connector I should use in order to connect to a laptop via a serial port. I'm 99% that I need an ADS adapter, as I can't find any OBD port anywhere, only the older style one under the hood. But the pin layout doesn't match the tiny ads diagram, which use plugs 15 and 17, which I don't have.

Thought it may have been dislodged somehow, but there isn't any thing OBD like I can find under the wheel.

The pins present are 1,7,14,16,19,20.

I've made the DIY adapter from (Almost) free DIY ADS interface but can't work out the pinout on the car. Would that circuit work, or do I need something else?
    Thanks for the help

Link to higher res images:
    https://imgur.com/a/XbljI

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    An E46 shouldn't be an ADS car
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I think he means it is fitted with a round 20 pin diagnostic port under the bonnet. The absence of pin 15 confirms it is an OBD car. The Tiny ADS interface you have built reads both K and L lines, but the inputs are inverted for OBD cars. PM Benemorius and he may be able to give you a simple, switchable mod to allow your interface to work in either ADS or OBD mode.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by zyglob View Post
    I didn't like the idea of connecting the PC serial port directly to 12 volt.
    IIRC the RS 232 standard was originally 24V but PCs / laptops generally do 12v
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Used the ignition sensing wiring off the diagram to add ignition sensing to a VAG COM lead so a mate could fix his SMG - just found the logic is reversed so had to move the resistor ti the emitter side and connect the wire to com port to emitter. Still saved me having to figure out the maths.

My Cars
    1989 320i 4Dr
    hey guys - i knocked this up this arvo - logic is based off the freeADS in the first post
    i think i got it - feedback always good - im a bit tired so may have the wrong lead off DTR notted, but i think i got it right (ish?)

Uses a single chip - a 4502 which is a tri-state output hex inverter along with four pull up resistors. ridiculously simple. As always optoisolators would be wise - you would want four -= one for each of the lines on the computer side (none of them are bi-directional so much simpler) but as it stands you should be able to make it for under a fiver a tenner with the optos, in manufacturing quantities they should be about $2 to make, maybe 4 with the optos. Really dont have the will to knock up a layout, would barely be worth it, and probably best to get some feedback

What do you reckon?

ADS_driver.jpg

Edit - i did have another thought - given rs232 is supposed to be + and - voltage not + and 0 would it be more reliable to use a voltage divider between the + and ground on the car side and connect the signal ground of the computer to the center so the com port is seeing + and - 6v?
    Also - have people lacking proper serial ports tried a serial port diverter that emulates a serial port at the traditional address and irq under doze? i saw there are a few - this seems made for the purpose https://www.adontec.com/commex_e.htm and has a trial version. I have a laptop with a real serial port on the dock but it may be of use?
    Last edited by mycosys; 11-01-2015 at 02:53 AM.

My Cars
    E39 530i Touring, Z3 3.0
    Hi,
    I've put the circuit together on a breadboard. When I apply 12V on Pin 14 and Ground on Pin 17 the Battery Indicator in INPA turns on. Does that mean the port settings are correct? I don't have a ADS car here to test it. The circuit is for a friend so I want to make sure in advance that the setup is ok.

My Cars
    1998 e46 323i

need help

Hi, I read all 20 pages and its an amazing thread and amazing work.

I have same problem like bmwdud121 in post 472.
    My car is e46 323i 04/1998, I have 20pin round connector under the hood and 16pin obd connector under steering wheel but in 20pin round connector i dont have pin15 and i dont have pin17

I dont know which schematic should work on my car??

From what i read in this thread (and some others) cars with pin15 needs ADS interface and cars which doesnt have pin15 are OBD cars. In post #77 on page4 HansV give us schematic for OBD interface (his words) but this schematic uses pin15 for L-line, so I litle confused. Can someone say which schematic will work on my e46 or is it some other way of making cheap diagnostic interface like this in this thread??

My Cars
    1994 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mycosys View Post
    i did have another thought - given rs232 is supposed to be + and - voltage not + and 0 would it be more reliable to use a voltage divider between the + and ground on the car side and connect the signal ground of the computer to the center so the com port is seeing + and - 6v?
    Not necessary. Typically the switching points of an RS232 interface chip (Vin L and Vin H) are around +0.8 and +3 volt so any signal above and below these figures will work fine.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by hoost View Post
    Hi, I read all 20 pages and its an amazing thread and amazing work.

I have same problem like bmwdud121 in post 472.
    My car is e46 323i 04/1998, I have 20pin round connector under the hood and 16pin obd connector under steering wheel but in 20pin round connector i dont have pin15 and i dont have pin17

I dont know which schematic should work on my car??

From what i read in this thread (and some others) cars with pin15 needs ADS interface and cars which doesnt have pin15 are OBD cars. In post #77 on page4 HansV give us schematic for OBD interface (his words) but this schematic uses pin15 for L-line, so I litle confused. Can someone say which schematic will work on my e46 or is it some other way of making cheap diagnostic interface like this in this thread??
    You have OBDII and it should work fine with the OBD interface I posted in #77. OBD2 only uses the K-LINE connected to pin 20 for communication. If you build the complete interface you can also use it on older cars with OBDI.
    For your car the easiest thing you can to is to get a standard 10$ OBD interface from ebay. That should work just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 e38 750i
    i have 4/95 750i e38 and i need to connect to dme. I have usb inpa which can read eml egs and some other modules but not dme. I have old pc with real serial port ready but i need ads interface. Which design should I use? That one from first post? Thanks for reply

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Try the MKII circuit in post #254, that should work fine on your car.
    You don't need the LED's for the circuit to work, the 1K pull-up resistors can be connected directly to +12V.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by HansV; 01-19-2016 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E34 520iA E39 523iA
    Hello,
    does any one tested any version of those interfaces with 1995.07 BMW E34 520i 24V with Siemens DME MS40.1 ?
    If yes, which version worked with INPA?
    Does it work with any other components like automatic transmision ECU and etc?

My Cars
    e36 325i
    hello to all again.
    mz englis still bad but i have new problem,
    ads interface works well on e36
    i bought e 38 725 tds
    it works good with e 38 but i cant find 2,5tds engine in list
    can someone tell me how to add m51 engine to list and can someone send me a files.thanks

My Cars
    e36 325i
    i found just remove : and there is in list,byt in german, can that change to english?

My Cars
    e36 325i
    i searching on google but i cant find.can anybody help

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by wice View Post
    i found just remove : and there is in list,byt in german, can that change to english?
    I was just playing around with this. It's been a few years since I installed INPA but I seem to remember that you have to choose your language when it's installed. I may be wrong on that. If that really is the case then I would have chosen English Shen I installed mine. Only reason I mention that is because this procedure may not work if you didn't choose English when you installed yours.

In any case it can't hurt to try this. I was able to switch back and forth between English and German. It only took a couple minutes.

Double click on My Computer the double click on C: drive or whichever drive you installed INPA on. Double click on the INPA folder. Double click on CFGDAT folder. Scroll down until you see INPA.ini. Double click on that file. Look down a few lines to where it says LANGUAGE. It probably says DEUTCSH in capital letters. Make a note of whatever is written there and write it down EXACTLY as it appears so you can change it back if you choose to. Now erase the language that's written there and type ENGLISCH. You have to include the C in ENGLISCH. If you type ENGLISH it won't work. After you've typed ENGLISCH go to FILE and choose SAVE.

Now open INPA. If it worked you'll see everything appear in English. Now just for fun close INPA and close EDIABAS. Go back to that INPA.ini file and choose DEUTSCH. Save it and open INPA. It should change back. Close INPA and EDIABAS and change it back to English. Save it and open INPA to confirm your changes.

Hope that works.

My Cars
    e36 325i
    my inpa is in english,everything is on english except engine dde 2.2 m51.every modul i can see in english language,byt when i try to read engine,everything is on deutsch.i wish that change to english

My Cars
    E46 M52TUB25
    Hi,
    Maybe someone tried to connect with #254 MKII Circuit or other from this thread to E46 98' M52 engine or else E46 engine, does it work?
    Last edited by wicher; 03-27-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast