My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumi View Post
    I need to make all this connections?
    ads (1).png
    Yes.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    has anyone had success with the HansV mkII circuit on a breadboard connected to an early (44/1994) E38? (with IPNA software)

I had a go at building it yesterday and will try and debug it in the next day or 2 but had no success except for the battery indicator showing in IPNA

The 20-pin plug I am using came with the Carsoft v6.5 kit (it has a DB15 female plug in the other end) I got second hand and I had to add in an extra wire for pin-16 (ignition) although even after doing this IPNA doesn't indicate ignition on.

Possibly I am better off getting a few more components and building the circuit on page 1 of this thread?

cheers
    josh

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Have you set INPA to run in ADS mode?
    Have you run the ADSSetup.exe utility in the EDIABAS/HARDWARE folder?

I typically get battery dot only when I forget to switch between OBD and ADS modes.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    yes I had, as confirmed by clicking on the EDIABAS server icon in the tray, which pops open and says it is in ADS mode

have you built and used the mkII circuit?
    if so against what vehicles?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Yes, I have built the MKII version and have used it on several vehicles with varying degrees of module access (because some modules are just plain troublesome).
    94' 325i, 95' 318Ti, 99' 323is, 00' 323i, and a 00' 528i.

Double check your circuit work, it's easy to overlook or get something backwards. Even those that have been doinking with electronics for some time still do it (me).

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    I did a full re-check and all circuitry appears fine (also using a multi-meter to check continuance and voltages) however I had made a mistake with my new ignition wire and had connected to pin-18 instead of 16 (was looking at it upside down) and now at least within IPNA I get both black dots, but still no comms to any modules.

I noticed that on my circuit the L-line LED (D4) is always on and I thought I must of overlooked an error, but further checks show that at pin-15 of my 20-pin socket always has voltage on it, slight less than the battery, which is now flat and on the charger.

Should pin-15 have voltage all the time?
    This is being measured in the engine bay with nothing connected and the ignition on or off and for a (week 44 built) 1994 E38 740i

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Pin 15 will have power to some extent at all times, but there should be fluctuating activity on that line as well.

Here's a quick video I did up during some of the testing on these ADS interface circuits, cheesy, but should give you an idea of LED activity.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHxROZ3MN8I

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    The K and L LEDs should both do the same thing while the interface is idle. They should be both on or both off, depending on how they're hooked up. (in the schematic you built I THINK they're off at idle but I haven't seen it in some time)

If the LEDs idle differently from each other, something is definitely wrong, probably with the circuit although possibly with the vehicle. If the interface is plugged in to a computer, it could even be a problem with the computer.

It's normal for pins 15 and 20 to be approximately at battery voltage. The signaling is what's called idle-high, meaning the voltage is high (battery voltage) when idle and is pulsed low (about 0 volts) during communication.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    update:
    After double checking the continuance of my 20-pin plug to DB15 connector I realised that I had 14, 15, 16 around the wrong way (again by looking at it upside down and late at night), although it wasn't until I re-installed WinXP on my old laptop that I got IPNA to work as expected, however I can still only get to the engine (SME) and transmission (EGS I think it is) modules, all others do not respond...

My reason for doing all this is because at some point in the vehicles life a previous owner has installed an IKE (and possibly VDO) from another vehicle, without updating the VIN stored in the IKE, and I believe they did this and some other mods to the car just because the SRS/airbag light was always ON.

The problem I am now left with is that the SRS/airbag light is now always OFF and this is a problem when having the vehicle tested for road safety in my country (NZ), more about that here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-light-NOT-ON!

I am still left a little puzzled as to why no other modules respond to IPNA and I discovered a white/violet wire from the Airbag Control Unit had been cut. As it turns out this is the TXD output from pin 9 of the Airbag Control Unit which I believe goes to pin 1 of the IKE white connector (it has continuance to this and a white/violet wire goes into the white plug).
    According to the wiring diagram for the Supplemental Restraint Circuit (44/1994 E38 BMW 740i) the TXD pin 9 output should lead all the way to pin 20 of the DATA LINK CONNECTOR, however there is no continuance between these, even with the cut wire rejoined or tested at the join.

I will consult the wiring diagrams further, but I now suspect this previous owner has killed or disconnected some modules on what I think is the K-line or bus (pin 20 of the diagnostics plug/socket).... so possibly I have to pull the car's dash apart to see what has been done to the wiring... unless the IKE itself is bad?
    Although one thing that worries and puzzles me further is that wire that connects to the output (pin 7 BRN/VIO) from the Airbag Control Unit that is meant to control the SRS/airbag light in the instrument cluster appears to be earthed somewhere (confirmed by multimeter tests) and according to the wiring diagrams if this was the case then the light should always be ON and not OFF like it is... I think this points to the IKE (I have tested the LED itself and it lights up using a 6V battery applied to pin 13 of the IKE blue connector).

sorry to be off topic, I'll try and keep all further questions and findings to this thread:

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by roganjoshd View Post
    ...however I can still only get to the engine (SME) and transmission (EGS I think it is) modules, all others do not respond...
    From memory, I think that can happen if you have only pin 20 or pin 17 (one or the other; I don't remember which) hooked up. One pin connects to the engine and transmission modules and the other pin connects to everything else. They should both be connected to either other for full access.

Of course, the fact that a previous owner has screwed around with your wiring means you pretty much have to verify where all your wires go yourself. You have my pity. Tracking down a whole bunch of inaccessible wires to make sure they go where they're supposed to go is no fun at all.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    Thanks benemorius... and I think I should of referred to the engine module as DME not SME... (sorry I am still learning).

I have just checked the 20-pin socket itself (in the engine bay) and there is only a connector visible for pin 20, nothing is seen at pin 17 (right above pin 7 at the bottom).
    I noticed this earlier but didn't think too much of it as in the Hans mkII schematic these are joined.

Do you know if all E38 with M60 engines should have pins 17 and 20 available in the diagnostics socket?
    I think what you are saying is that my circuit may not be connecting on both, however in my case pin 17 appears to be irrelevant.

I'll go looking for a wiring diagram for it....

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Thanks benemorius... and I think I should of referred to the engine module as DME not SME... (sorry I am still learning).

I have just checked the 20-pin socket itself (in the engine bay) and there is only a connector visible for pin 20, nothing is seen at pin 17 (right above pin 7 at the bottom).
    I noticed this earlier but didn't think too much of it as in the Hans mkII schematic these are joined.

Do you know if all E38 with M60 engines should have pins 17 and 20 available in the diagnostics socket?
    I think what you are saying is that my circuit may not be connecting on both, however in my case pin 17 appears to be irrelevant.

I'll go looking for a wiring diagram for it....
    Ah you're right it's not relevant for you. I'm sorry. I can't keep all these things straight in my head. Pin 17 was indeed only added in later years along with the OBD2 port. Before that, all modules were together on pin 20.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    hmmm... according to the diagram I will attempt to attach to this post that I got from:
    http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...8old/index.htm
    (sorry it is not possible to link directly to the diagram itself)

For the E38 M60 diagnostics connector pin 17 is not mentioned, and pin 20 is TXD and pin 15 RXD
    In Hans mkII schematic these are referred to as L-LINE (15) and K-LINE (17, 20) but the schematic posted on page 1 of the thread refers to them as TXD (20, 17) and RXD (15), so maybe I need to build this circuit? (requires a few more transistors and a bigger breadboard).

Screen Shot 2013-09-08 at 3.57.44 PM.png

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    hmmm... according to the diagram I will attempt to attach to this post that I got from:
    http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...8old/index.htm
    (sorry it is not possible to link directly to the diagram itself)

For the E38 M60 diagnostics connector pin 17 is not mentioned, and pin 20 is TXD and pin 15 RXD
    In Hans mkII schematic these are referred to as L-LINE (15) and K-LINE (17, 20) but the schematic posted on page 1 of the thread refers to them as TXD (20, 17) and RXD (15), so maybe I need to build this circuit? (requires a few more transistors and a bigger breadboard).

Screen Shot 2013-09-08 at 3.57.44 PM.png
    Both schematics should function similarly. The difference in terminology is unfortunate but it has no significance whatsoever.

K-line = TXD = 20
    L-line = RXD = 15

I'd speculate that your remaining problems are now caused by wiring faults in the vehicle. Have you not achieved the same functionality that your BMW technician was able to achieve with a genuine diagnostic machine?

My Cars
    bmw 525i
    I HAVE same part but my diagram doesn't work

- - - Updated - - -

hello

look the images where is connect Ground?!!

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    should there be continuance from pin 20 of the 20-pin socket to any other WHT/VIO data line within the vehicle? (key and battery on or off)

I am trying to determine why none of my modules respond within IPNA (except engine and transmission) and have tested from the re-joined WHT/VIO wire coming from my Airbag Control Unit to pin 20, but this is OPEN.

Now I am trying to locate another module to test, such as the ABS module... however I know where the pump is but not the module itself!
    This is for a 44/1994 E38 740i M60, I don't think it is part of the pump itself, maybe its under the glove box?

- - - Updated - - -

I can answer my own question with this picture taken today under the cover of the electronics box in the rear of the engine bay, if you look closely you can see that someone (not me) has done a bit of re-wiring... I am left wondering what is meant to be and what is OK, but this explains all of my problems (except for how to get rid of the car).

Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 7.49.49 PM.jpg
    (sorry I am not sure how to make the image appear large, you need to click on it)
    In the picture you can see at least 2 blue crimp connectors that have been used to join together a bunch of WHT/VIO (TXD) wires, that should be going into the X20 connector at pin 4, but for some reason are not. Under the blue crimp on the left is a bit of duct tape that was being used to shield the one wire coming from the X20 connector.
    Also joined in this fashion is a bunch of WHT/YELLOW wires that should all go to X20 pin 5 (I am yet to trace what this is for, maybe RXD?)

Visible are other obvious cuts and tape ups, but the things I am unsure about are the yellow plastic joiners and also the brass thing, are these all meant to be there?

I re-joined all the WHT/VIO wires and tried IPNA again but this time nothing was accessible (SYS-00012 error or similar) so this is not the simple solution (to get to the Airbag module to reset the SRS light and also the EWS and IKE to remove the tamper dot).

I think the car is a gonner, but I am sure I can make the SRS light work just like the one next door to it in the instruments cluster (ABS) if I must... then get rid of it

Last edited by roganjoshd; 09-08-2013 at 08:37 PM.

My Cars
    bmw 525i
    dosent work ?!!

the point where joinit

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHMOOD View Post
    dosent work ?!!

the point where joinit
    I built mine using a breadboard and not surface mount components and as far as I can tell it works (HansV mkII), but my car's wiring has been butchered...

I suggest you start again, possibly using a breadboard

My Cars
    bmw 525i
    why the wiring has been butchered??

dosen't work all digram

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHMOOD View Post
    why the wiring has been butchered??

dosen't work all digram
    you'll have to go to this thread to learn more about my butchered car wiring:

as for your problem, no one can help you test the circuit over the internet or help you build it sorry, so unless you can pin point specific problems I suggest you start again from scratch as the circuit and the diagram to build it has worked for others in the past.

also, GND = ground

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by paveld View Post
    I think the names of files are OK, but I'm not sure.

Today, I try MKII version and DIS v.44 and the results are:
    1992 E34 530i M60 (DME M3.3) - I can connect all units.
    1996 E34 520i M50 (DME MS40.1) - I can connect all units with the exception of DME

I also try connect 520i using OBD manufactured cable (which I'm using with no problems to connect 1996 E36 320i M52 DME MS41.0) and the result is that I connect only airbag. All other units doesn't respond.
    I tried EasyDIS 1.0 v44 and it still doesn't work. I suspect the problem is in car DME or bad connection between diagnostic connector and DME.

I have another question - can i with using MKII interface connect to BMW E30 motronic? I afraid ediabas will not work with e30... or yes? Is there another application which can diagnose BMW E30?
    Thanks so much :-)

My Cars
    E34 525i 91' Touring
    roganjoshd, paveld --> I had similar problem with connection to my car (E34, 12/1991, Motronic 3.1, M50B25 without Vanos - you can read about this a few page ago) as you and succesfully resolved my problem. The same as you I checked wires from diagnostic socket to ECU and from ECU to diagnostic socket. I was ready to buy second ECU because I thought that everything works fine but diagnostic lines is damaged/smashed or something like that.

In order to resolve your problems You have to make interface described on the first page of this topic --> scheme without CD4053 -> only transistors

I don't know why it works but works
    I know that CD4053 from scheme MKI and MKII replaced a few transistors from scheme without CD4053, but it isn't good for older cars.

Best Regards
    Piotr A.
    Poland

P.S. 1 Additionally I noticed that interface without CD4053 is faster than MKI. It's mean that INPA and DIS works faster -> it was tested on my car and father car (e39)

P.S. 2 I performed both interfaces, first was MK1 and 2 months later I performed interface without CD4053

P.S. 3 paveld --> sometimes I'm at my friend in Bystrzyca Klodzka (do you know this city, near Klodzko) and if you want we can meet
    Last edited by efendi71; 09-19-2013 at 07:37 AM.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    FYI:
    I managed to get my HansV mkII DIY ADS interface working with my 1994 E38 740i in the end, I had made a couple of errors with determining the correct pin out from the 20-pin plug to 15-pin DB15 connector to my circuit as I was first looking at an online diagram of the 20-pin socket and didn't think to mirror it to the plug (and I was working at night in the dark so couldn't read the little numbers on the plug).

The vehicles butchered WHT/VIO wires (TXD) didn't help either but I managed to get this sorted after first discovering the cut wire from the Airbag Control Unit, then more cut wires in the electronics box, but by rejoining them all I have managed to get comms to all modules, although sometimes I have to disconnect the IKE as this has come from another vehicle and has not had its VIN re-coded (this is now what I am working on correcting if possible)

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast